Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i bought asssault on black reach and splitted it with a friend. and i also managed to get second hand devastators.

I was wondering how normal terminators would be used and what equipment do you bring with the 5 of them. was thinking of putting them with an assault cannon and let them walk on foot or put a heavy flamer with them and throw them in a pod and drop them after the first turn so they dont get eaten right away.

Next, i like missile launchers!! so i have 5 devastators, 1 seargent and 4 missile launchers as a squad. is it worth playing? do i need to put them in a vehicle or something?

some advice would really be good as i really like these two units and wish to know more about them.

also.. dont ask me to convert the termies into assault termies....

·
Registered
346 Posts
Its called cyclone missle if your walking them. but most people use assault cannon in deepstrike and drop pods.

·
Registered
260 Posts
And so the tide changed…

In 4th edition, assault terminators sucked and the only way to play terminators were the regular ones. A single squad could carry two assault cannons that rend when hitting on 6.

Then 5th edition was released and everything changed. TH/SS upgrades for free, only one assault cannon per 5 terminators and they no more rend on rolls to hit.

Bottom line is that TH/SS terminators are indeed more efficient due to their survivability but since you don’t want to convert the ones you have, normal terminators may not be as good as assault terminators, but they are still good.

With assault cannon, they can pour 12 shots per round at medium range and still control the board where they sit. The sheer number of PF/PW attacks should make your enemy think twice before charging them or bring any unit of value close.

The ability to deep strike and pour down such a massive amount of fire power just in the face of the enemy is still an invaluable resource. It is an eminent threat that your enemy _MUST_ deal immediately or things can go sour for him.

On the matter of assault cannon against CML, I like the assault cannon better but this is personal preference. Both have their value in different circumstances and more than once I’ve wished that I had one instead of the other.

So, nothing wrong using them. As a matter of fact, the more I’m using them, the more I’m appreciating their versatility.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool thanks for the advice. i was thinking of using them with a long / medium range weapon in a pod with deathwind missile launchers and drop them some where out of the way of my opponent so that theyll have to turn away from my main force to deal with them. kinda suiciding and expensive though... but it would be clearer where to drop them if its on the 2nd turn when their forces have started moving already.

so termies are still one tough cookie eventhough their not in the enemies face with hammers ..

·
Ender of Threads
1,306 Posts
cool thanks for the advice. i was thinking of using them with a long / medium range weapon in a pod with deathwind missile launchers and drop them some where out of the way of my opponent so that theyll have to turn away from my main force to deal with them. kinda suiciding and expensive though...
Not a great plan, IMHO. I see a big, nasty unit dropped in the middle of nowhere, shooting at me from long range and my first reaction is to ignore them, they're too far out to be a real threat.

Nobody intentionally goes out hunting for something as powerful as a Terminator squad unless they've got good reason to - it's far simpler to pull back a bit and leave them out of the fight.

Dropping them behind enemy lines though, that'll cause a stir. Alone they'll be slaughtered, but with some podded squads as backup they can cause all kinds of mayhem.

·
Too Sexy For My Whirlwind
1,148 Posts
1) Just for clarity, C:SM termies cannot Drop pod, but they can teleport DS.
2) Personally the CML is probs the best overall weapon nowadays. not 1 but 2 Krak or Frag shots at long range + still getting your storm bolter shots is hard for even an Assault cannon to beat. But that doesn't mean the AC doesn't have its uses. Against other 2+ savers for example the AC is your best bet of cracking it. The Heavy Flamer is cheap and great against swarms but don't take it as your dedicated extra weapon in the termie squad unless you know that you'll have use for it.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Three ways to use them.

1. Suicide, give em a heavy flamer deepstrike as close as you dare on a flank, kill the nearest unit and then hope (not advised unless you support them with pods). Characters that affect your reserve rolls help here. Maybe give them one chainfist in case a vechile gets too close.
2. Unharmed support, (your plan), deepstrike near enough and then fire at the enemy. Give them an assualt cannon for this, (and a chianfist if you really want to but I'd advise not to). Deepstrike in safish area and shoot. This is good because it means your terminators are unharmed in the turns they would have used to move closer (and get shot). If you do it right they can land at the front of your army to "surprise the enemy" or away from you army to make him think about splitting his forces or having a flank destroyed (a very hard decision as both are bad moves for your opponent). Reserve roll character again useful but not as much.
3. Long-ranged support, give them a cyclone missile launcher and walk up the field shooting whatever you damn want to (except AV14). Very versatile and means they stay with your army, this is the one I use because I think DS is too unpredictable (reserve rolls and then scatter etc. etc.)

Note on suicide, if you want to relly confuse the opponent add a combat hq and use 10 man squad, scares the hell when they appear in their face (note that this 500pts + unit WILL get attackied by everything, which can sometimes be good).

Normally, do any of these tactics with five man squad or 10 man combat squadded. Also note that suicide and support can be bought a landraider (I'd go crusader unless you need anti-MEQ) if you want millions of vechiles on the board and/or dislike DSing.

There are other ways to run them (counter assualt etc.) but these are better done by assualt terminators. Remember that they cost the same points because standard can shoot, make sure you use them as a shooty unit with good combat and try and avoid the combat (unless its against a vechile or shooting unit (3 S4 power weapon and 12 S8 power weapon attack hurts most things).
Hope this helps.

·
Cousin It
1,385 Posts
I used to run a list with termies as a bodyguard for my librarian. Using gate of infinity, you can teleport your termies all over the show very fast (even out of combat or away from nasty units). No one seems to use this (the only reason i stopped is because everyone i play against regularly, took the time to figure a way around this) so maybe everyone else has a good reason why this is bad...personally i loved it.

Assault cannon was the best weapon in my opinion for this tactic, and a few homing beacons was always handy (just remember that enemy units deep striking can use YOUR homing beacons as well)

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
Assault cannon was the best weapon in my opinion for this tactic, and a few homing beacons was always handy (just remember that enemy units deep striking can use YOUR homing beacons as well)
Really?

·
Registered
658 Posts
As no-one has replied to your post on devestators I wil cover them to.

As the weapons are so expensive you have done the right thing with four missiles. It can use krak on transports and MEQs and frag on standard infantry. 4 of them are reliable and versatile (remember to use the special abilty that makes one of them BS5).
However, common opinion is that devestators are not worth it. Firstly, they are immobile and the gunline has become less effective in 5th ed. Mech is now the way to go, although a footslogging list can sometimes hold its ground.
Concerning transports, if given one they are given a razorback. The weapon options are:
TL Heavy Flamer - used for a sort of anti-assualt, park it in the way and flame the unit. Difficult to use and IMO not worth the points.
TL Heavy Bolter - 36" range, S5, alright if your lacking crowd control but this is a 40pt heavy bolter,this option is the transport one, not the devestators.
TL Assualt Cannon - Statistically one of the most effectiv but has half the range of your devestators so doesn't really fit with them.
TL Lascannon - same range as missile launchers, helps AT but a bit too many points for me
Lascannon and TL plasma gun, NO for devestators, unless you have the points spare which I seriously doubt.

Also, devestators only have power armour so make sure there in cover an maybe add some normal guys as meatshields (the enemy sees 4 missile launchers and starts writing his target priority list...)

So not the most competetive but fun to use. Other options are multimeltas in a razorback (park up and melta) but I prefer command squad with meltaguns or sternguard for this role. If you only ever play MEQs and use no cover plasma cannons are worth it, heavy bolters are just less versatile missile launchers (frag= about 2 hits, hb get 2 hits, hb have +1 strength but then no krak).

For more information many space marine units have been analysed in "Topic of the Week", go have a look at the index to find out more and get more opinions.

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts

·
2,399 Posts
No, in the FAQ it states your opponent can only use equipment like that if it specifically states "friend or foe" in it's entry.

For your devastators: Sancraer if pretty much spot on there. I'm split between multiple HB's (old reliable anti infantry) and missile launchers (versatile) - keep them cheap though, they will get shot. adding some meat shield marines with bolters doesn't hurt (although it's pretty mush 5 or a waste of points due to their non multiple of 5 cost).
I'd take a razorback with them with whatever you want, they're not going to be in it as you want to shoot them (unless you want to add a sgnt and 4 boltgun marines for objective contesting/ general annoyance)
There is a trick with 10 terminators that've been missed here - if you buy ten terminators, you can get 2 heavy weapons, and combat squad them (keeping both weapons in the same combat squad) - a 5 man squad with 2 assault cannons foot slogging and shooting, and 5x deep striking in their deployment zone (a threat with power fists that must be neutralised or are very dangerous, esp. to vehicles) isn't a bad idea, and for kill point missions don't split them. (choosing cyclone missile launchers, or assault cannons is up to you. I prefer assault cannons, as they rend, so pen AV13-AV15, it works against monoliths / land raiders / other hard targets at a pinch)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.