Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Oberstleutnant
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys I have a serious question about lighting. We all know about highlighting and light source but I want to go that step further. That is when light, especially flame, effects how a mini looks. Some of the best examples I can think of is Victoria Lamb's Firery Angel and the Rescue of Sister Joan as to what I mean by fire light:

Victoria Lamb's Miniatuures

I have seen others but I couldn't be bothered linking them.

Now I want to add this lighting effect (that is flame and how it changes the colour seen) on my mini's. One person suggested to me painting the mini normally then washing with a thin wash of either red or yellow where I want the torch or fire light to appear (and of course highlighting in accordance with that light source). I think that's not necessarily right and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or experience on the subject?

·
Registered
45 Posts
If I remember correctly, there was a tutorial on cool mini or not that detailed how she did the lighting effects on her minis.

·
Fury of the Ages
753 Posts
I've stuffed around a bit with lighting effects, but haven't done that much to be honest.

I think that you need to use more than just washes to get the colour happening though.

Firstly, I think of the direction of the light and what surfaces/edges it will hit. Usually it will be the "lightest" and most intense on any raised edges that face the light source, then gradually fade away from there.

Depending upon what colour the light is hitting and what colour the light is, will determine what colours you use on the lighted parts.
If you have a light colour, then you could probably get away with just a wash, but you'd have to be very careful how you did it. And you'd probably need to paint some sort of highlight on there anyway.

·
things will change
2,707 Posts
If you're working with flat surfaces, I would reccomend using the flame (or whathaveyou) as the *only* source of light on the entire model (ie: that is all you are highlighting from), and thus adding in reddish-orangey-whites as highlights in the appropriate places.

If you are doing 'extra' lighting (say, glowing eyes of something similar) then I would use matte medium added to paint the colour of your glow, and paint in thin layers, building up transparent layers until you have a nice, deep glow effect.

Have you seen this guy?
One of the best minis ever, in my opinion.
Very good use of lighting.

NOTE: NOT PAINTED BY ME!

-t.

·
Oberstleutnant
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you're working with flat surfaces, I would reccomend using the flame (or whathaveyou) as the *only* source of light on the entire model (ie: that is all you are highlighting from), and thus adding in reddish-orangey-whites as highlights in the appropriate places.

If you are doing 'extra' lighting (say, glowing eyes of something similar) then I would use matte medium added to paint the colour of your glow, and paint in thin layers, building up transparent layers until you have a nice, deep glow effect.

Have you seen this guy?
One of the best minis ever, in my opinion.
Very good use of lighting.

NOTE: NOT PAINTED BY ME!

-t.
It's a fine mini to be sure -t, but what did you think of the article by Victoria Lamb? Would you do it that way?

·
things will change
2,707 Posts
Well, obviously it works, 'cos that's how she painted it, and you don't get to be number 1 on coolminiornot without having some talent and ability... ^_-

As to how I'd paint it, it probably isn't. I'd end up with a similar looking outcome (but not as good, obviously), but it would be a different process, simply because we (probably) don't paint in the same way.

Do you have a pic of the model you're planning? I could probably give more specific advice with some more info on what exactly you're trying to end up with...

-t.

·
Oberstleutnant
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's an older Commisar. Here's a link to GW UK online store:

Games Workshop Online Store — Imperial Guard Commissar (1 random model)

Anyway, I'm painting the guy with the flammer and axe. What I've done is sculpted flames out of green stuff coming out of the barrel. But I want the light to reflect against is body. Now I know where I want the light to fall but the question is one of technique as to how to get that effect. That's why I though Ms Lamb's article looked good to me BUT I'm not sure if her techniques are the right ones.

·
Fury of the Ages
753 Posts
If you haven't had much experience with it (or haven't tried the technique yet), just try out the techniques that have been shown so far, and see what works for you.

Victoria Lamb's techniques are obviously what work for her, but as has been said, they mightn't work for you.

That's the best thing, just try them out!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.