Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How long does it take you to paint your models.

5K views 63 replies 51 participants last post by  K-Tana 
#1 ·
How long does it take you to paint your armies or models.

I consider myself a slow painter, it usually takes me about 4-5 days just to get a couple of models down, but I usually only spend maybe an 1-2 hours painting at a time.

#4 ·
Well then I must be the slowest painter on this site then...
i have had an army for 1,5 years, it consists of around 40-50 models, I have just painted half of them... just recently...
It's all a matter what you feel like doing, painting isn't always very fun you know...

Eztrovia!

#5 ·
Depending on what race and size... Sometimes it varies.... a land raider took me about 4 hours, while a Eldar Guardian took me 2 hours in the beginning, and a orc from fantasy about 3 hours... IT's all about technique and how well u wanna paint it... ;) just don't spoil them...

NB: In the beginning, b4 I found the sprays, I dopped them in the Chaos black color for a undercoat...

#7 ·
For me it depends very much on the mini.

I love painting and I think it should be done well.

If I have a tactical squad of ten marines I paint them all in one go using one colour at a time on all the minis.

It will take me about 8-9 hours to piant a squad of ten men.

As for my characters... I've got an Epistolary Librarian that took me 3 days to paint, using about 5 hours each day. He is also my coolest mini...

Still, I don't paint all the time.. I sometimes can go for a week without so much as looking at a paintbrush... On the other hand I sometimes paint every day of the week if I feel like it and have time.

#9 ·
Yeah sure you are! I mean it!.
For me it mostly depends on mood, right now I just found out that some old friends of mine still play 40k, so now I am starting to paint again....

The time it takes depends on how detailed I want to make them, maybe it takes around 2 hours to paint a marine...

Salut!

#10 ·
Not really sure, depends on what mini it is. I can tell you I don't like to rush them though.
I also can't sit and paint a squad of 10 marines in one go, I get board of using the same old paints lol so after say three or four, I go and do a bike or just something different....or better still, I take a break for 20 minutes or so.

Sometimes I'll just spend an hour on my painting, other times, I can go a whole day o_O

#13 ·
Well it varies greatly on my mood. I always love painting, but sometimes i have more spark. It takes me maybe an hour-hour and a half to paint a Chaos marine, although sometimes it can take 4-5 hours. But i've really got my bone painting down, i can churn out 3 skeletons per hour now :)

I took me about a month to paint my land raider....then i decided it wasnt good enough and basecoated it again (it still sits on my desk, calling out to be painted)

But im not good when it comes to organised painting. On my desk there are the following models (more than one of some): Imperial Guardsmen, Kroot warriors, Chaos space marines, Possessed marines, skeletons, a vampire, land raider, dreadnought, Khorne berserkers and some Chaos terminators.
But i've built a system which seems to be working (there use to be more 'ya know!). I've arranged the models in groups depending on what stage of painting they are in, then there are strict rules in what order i can paint them.

Dont fall into the same mess as i did. Finish your models, then start another. At the most 2 different sorts at a time.
Well...time to paint something.

#15 ·
Hmmm I don't know, for me I just started, I love painting and I'm a perfectionist. Just painting a squad of 10 plastic SM's, I've been working about 25-30 hours so far. I usually limit myself to painting for an hour every day but sometimes it less sometimes more... depends on my mood.

#19 ·
Yeah always a problem that... at least I get money for what I do...

ANyway I think the speed of which a person paints a model is very connected with the amount of detal the model has... and the amount of detail you actually want to add to the model.
The metal models have a lot of details from the start, while the plastic ones will take time to add lots of details to.

#20 ·
I am very methodical when it comes to painting, I do full squads at one time I do all one color for the 12 tau firewarriors. Then another. Moving from the furtheest in the furthest out. I dont get much time to paint so its always before I go to bed after my wife has and my little one. A unit can take me to about 2 weeks to get done. I am very slow.

#21 ·
Yeah same here, when I first start to paint i paint all models in the same basic colours.
That is Iron warrior colours... Black drybrushed with boltgun metal, armour trims are painted burnished gold and the should pads are painted black.
Although for me this too takes quite some time.

#22 ·
I spent about an 1-2 hous on my regular troops each or until I think they look suitable <grins>
I spent 3-5 hours on my HQ, just because I felt the need to try and get it as good looking as my meager painting skills can get it.
And about 20 minutes per model on a few little throw away models I was having fun with but aren't going to be seeing combat. :)

#24 ·
i consider myself a pretty good painter and it usually takes me about 45 minutes on a regular guy and twice that amount on more important characters

For my sake I can't stand painting tanks... or any other big model for that sake... to much area to cover...
Specially hate those nice flat surfaces that cover rhinos and other models like that...

i totally agree

#26 ·
That is Iron warrior colours... Black drybrushed with boltgun metal, armour trims are painted burnished gold and the should pads are painted black.
Although for me this too takes quite some time.
Hmm, and then you haven't mentioned horns/hair , eyelenses, and something I do: paint yellow and black industrial warning stripes on one of the shoulder guards, along with the number of the squad (though this is something new, I only did it on one squad so far, got inspired last night :) )...

BTW I like painting tanks, yes the large surfaces can be a pain if you use colours that can't be applied with spray cans, but the models always look so darn kewl when they're done :D .

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.