Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Son of LO
4,714 Posts
Champion of Slaanesh said:
Hi all i was wondering how many slayers should be in a unit and how many giant and troll slayers there should be.
this depends of the role youw ant the give to your slayer unit.

Speed bump: 6 troll slayers

staggering : 14 Trolls slayers 1-2 giant slayers

giant hunters : 12 troll slayers, 3 giant slayers

It's a throng ! : 18 troll slayers, 2 giant slayers.

No standards under any circumbstance !

·
Registered
98 Posts
Why do you say no standard under any circumstances? I can't imagine there being a particular NEED for a standard, but to say never take it, I don't get it.

Thanks in advance

·
Bearded Ninja
3,070 Posts
id have to disagree with you there wolfy

personally i think that slayers job is not to die but act as a flanking unit. most people don't like charging them so using their new GW/double hand weapon rule you can have them 10 strong at a flank. your foe charges them and they get bogged down in an unbreakable unit for at least a turn. they charge a different unit and you get a pretty mighty flanking unit at the end of your line.

as for the standard you will only lose it once the entire unit is destroyed. so in a unit of 18 id grab it just incase you do cause alot of damage to your foe and would like an extra point of combat res. :p

·
Son of LO
4,714 Posts
Using them as flankers doesn't make a good use of the unbreakable feature. they'll take anything in the teeth and hold. Also, Flanking with slayer weapons might be a good 1 turn move, but then your opponent will get some easy kills by directing is attacks on the slayers instead of the main unit in combat.

I am not saying not to use them if the opportunity arrives, but.....

·
Son of LO
4,714 Posts
I have. Don't. because 90 % of the players hate it, and won't enjoy playing you, if not wine about it all the time.

IF you want to play a slayer themed army, check out my list in the army section.

·
Registered
98 Posts
So, why not take a unit of slayers with full command and use them to break whatever unit hits them by combat resolution? I mean, you let them use 2 axes each, that is a lot of potential hits back. Then throw in a few ranks, possibly outnumber, and a standard... Next thing you know you are running down a unit of (fill in tough unit here). Sure, maybe this isn't a good "every game" use, but every now and then it would through a change to your game style out there and make people think twice about what the heck they are going to do. Maybe they will even throw more units at it to get tied up, leaving your other units free to take objectives/kill other units/drink ale/whatever.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm new to dwarfs and mine haven't seen the battlefield yet but if you ask me I would probably use them to stop enemy units.I now have 20 slayers but probably won't use all of them,a unit of 12-16 would do because they are pretty costly.

ps:
has someone used a single dragon slayer yet?I think if armed proparly he would be a killing machine on his own.
greetz

·
Registered
144 Posts
Alternitavely. you could use a unit of 20 trollslayers on their own. As they are unbreakable the are a perfect speed bump and with slayers axes are also realtively likely to win!

·
Registered
89 Posts
yeh ive used a single dragon slayer. i had him hovering around my war machines when i was playing vampires cos i knew my opponent liked fell bats and dire wolves. he was awesome took out 4 fell bats and 10 dire wolves. oh and 4 ghouls.
his combo was:
master rune of swiftness
rune of fury
and he used the second axe for another additional attack.
so 5 attacks striking first at str 4 on toughness 3 models for the large part. he only took 1 wound during the whole battle. hes not invincible but for war machine protection he seems pretty hard

·
Son of LO
4,714 Posts
his combo was:
master rune of swiftness
rune of fury
and he used the second axe for another additional attack.
[/QUOTE]

Slayer weapons be hand weapons if you give them runes, therefore you cannot claim +1 attack.

·
Registered
464 Posts
lord_shaggoth said:
I totally agree they are expensive but if you use them right they normally would work very good.youre right about the missile fire this is their weak spot but in combat their lethal
From experience, I don't think they're worth it, they hardly ever make it into combat.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.