Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
A member of our gaming club recently picked up some chaos models and has been fielding a force. He runs a unique list. One squad has terminators, a couple of champions, all armed uniquely. He usually has two sorcerers, each with different marks. So including the independent characters and the mark bearer in the squad has 3 bonuses. This doesn't seem legit. How do the marks effect independent characters? Does it go to the unit he joins? Then does the player choose which applies or get both? I am seeing twelve models with initiative 5, toughness 5, and 4+ invulnerable saves. Can champions take marks?

Any responses would be appreciated.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The effects of marks never transfer to other units from characters. I also think there may be a rule about characters not being able to join a unit with a different mark, but I may be mistaken. If it's acceptable, a Khorne character can join a Nurgle unit, but the character is not T5 and the unit does not have +1A. Mark bonuses never transfer.

·
Chilli Fueled Heretic
5,839 Posts
A unit that is joined by an indepentant character does not confer not gain any bonuses from marks or icons. The member of your club needs to have a read through page 81 of the codex, here it specifically states the rules for unit icons, the details of the marks is written on page 25.

So, to answer your question, one model may be effected by one mark/icon at once which is chosen at the army list stage.

Dan

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
Here's another way to look at it: Marks & Icons

An Independent Character can receive a Mark of Chaos (i.e., Khorne, Nurgle, etc). This mark only confers it's attributes to the Independent Character. Same thing applies to our Daemon Prince.

A squad can receive an Icon of Chaos (i.e., Khorne, Nurgle, etc). This icon confers its attributes to the entire squad in which the icon bearer belongs.

Also, in the latest Chaos codex, you can mix and match marks and/or icons any way you choose in an army. Furthermore, there are no rules preventing a Character or Prince from joining a squad with a different devotion than his own. (example: Lord with Mark of Nurgle joins a squad of Raptors with an Icon of Slaanesh).

·
4,967 Posts
Just to confirm though, if a character with MoK joins a unit with IoN, does the cahracter get T5?

I play deathguard so rarely use icons but I have always assumed the character stays at T4.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also think there may be a rule about characters not being able to join a unit with a different mark, but I may be mistaken..
That's the Chaos Daemons codex. In Chaos Space Marines, you can mix and match IC's with different marks than the unit they are joining.

In the Daemons Codex there's a special rule where Heralds (all ICs?) can only join units with the same affinity as them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.