Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

So I was wondering what would be the cut-off for "not enough" megapixels? If my current camera is good, I'll be fine and won't have to buy another. If it isn't, I get to go shopping for a camera...if you don't look at the costs, the second result is more fun :D

Anyway, if you're wondering how many I have so you can comment, my current camera has a 3.2 megapixel resolution (is it a resolution?).:0

·
Cthulhu's Lovechild
1,746 Posts
3.2 megapixels is plenty. If you're only posting pics of your models 2.5 megapixels is usually enough.
You only need more if you plan on printing quality photos at A5 size or larger.

·
ISIS Secret Agent Squishy
1,875 Posts
When it comes to taking pictures of miniatures, 3.2 megapixels is perfectly fine.
However the deciding factor is whether or not the camera has a Macro function (depicted by a flower icon). My first digital camera (quite a few years ago) didn't have one, and consequently was bad at taking photos of miniatures. I ended up buying another camera with the specific requirement of Macro functionality.

If your camera has a Macro function, then all an increase in the megapixels does is make the initial photo much much larger than it needs to be, and shows up ALL the flaws in the painting. Since you would then have to crop and resize the picture to make it forum (or even just general use) friendly, it could be classed as a waste of the camera's capabilities.
(on the other hand, if you're going to be using it for other things also, big megapixels is generally good)

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
When it comes to taking pictures of miniatures, 3.2 megapixels is perfectly fine.
However the deciding factor is whether or not the camera has a Macro function (depicted by a flower icon). My first digital camera (quite a few years ago) didn't have one, and consequently was bad at taking photos of miniatures. I ended up buying another camera with the specific requirement of Macro functionality.
Yes, my old camera is 3.2 but with no macro function it just takes blurred shots of everything no matter what the lighting, distance, composure is.
As long as its got macro it should be fine.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, it has a macro function, so it's all good.

If worse comes to worse I can use the diagonal trick. ;Y

I guess I can start on my project blog right away!

Yeah for me! :party:

·
LO Zealot
1,744 Posts
Yeah don't worry mate. My mobile phone has 3.2 MP and my camera 5... Although my camera is reserved only for the finished minis! ;Y

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.