Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
The Dark Knight
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$2,000 wow I was thinking maybe $100-$500 on average. My whole army isn't even $2,000.

·
The Dark Knight
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Are we just talking buying merchandize from GW and other vendors or are we including travel? i have spent more than $2K on hotels/airfare/travel expenses to go to GT's...
You are extremely dedicated to the game sir. I don't know if I could do that and yes I guess. I'm lucky and have a comic book store that will order you models and give you 20% off all models no extra charge for shipping or anything like that so its really nice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
part of it is that we have no local gaming scene, we have 4 to 6 players. So we travel on the weekends up to 2 hours one way to go to local rtt's. a few times a year we will go to something big like wargamescon or adepticon. We always go to Nova, we do their live video broadcasting of the top tables.

·
Double Clutching Weasel
3,279 Posts
I make one big order from an online discounter once a year, spending somewhere in the $400-$500 range. And somewhere else in there I might make a small $100 order to fill in the bits and bobs. It usually takes me all year to piece them together and paint them up. Then the next year, a bit more of the same.

part of it is that we have no local gaming scene, we have 4 to 6 players. So we travel on the weekends up to 2 hours one way to go to local rtt's. a few times a year we will go to something big like wargamescon or adepticon. We always go to Nova, we do their live video broadcasting of the top tables.
I hear you. Town I moved to has a small, fairly cloistered gaming community that plays by a different philosophy then me. So when I want to get a game anymore, I drive 4.5 hours to spend a weekend with a friend. The cost of a weekend in another town can add up. Fortunately, it's pretty infrequent.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
I generally buy 1 army and leave it at that. Granted, I haven't bought anything in a long while. I'll either be catching up my Space Marines (they're DIY, so just about any codex would do) or finishing off the Exorcists-as-Gray-Knights project that I started.

I dropped about $800 in a year to build my Guard army. It is/was a cheeseball list full of Vendettas, Russ-chassis, and ChiMelta squads, and it was loads of fun to play. That's the most I've ever spent on an army though, and will be for a long time. The next most pricey would be my Exorcists, who will be combining bits from Scibor Minis, ChapterHouse Studios, and obviously GW, to create a low-count high-cost army. Altogether I think that I was looking at ~400-500USD. In both cases, my armies are far more expensive than they need to be, given my predilection for vehicles and expensive conversion bits in both.

The thing is, you don't set a yearly budget for 40k. You collect an army, and play the game with that. You don't say "zomg, I'm gonna spend $500 a year on 40k until I get tired of playing it!" you say, "Hey, I wanna build a $500 Space Wolves army and use it until I'm tired of playing it, or I have the money for a new army". That's why people go so over the top about price-hikes. Nobody says you have to collect every unit for every army in the game. Build a list, stick with the list, make minor changes, and play at a level you can afford.
My other hobbies are surfing, snowboarding, and working with cars. The surfing is free after I dropped ~1k on boards and suits, minus the yearly travel to the beach. The Snowboarding runs me $350 a year for a season's pass (which keeps going up in price) plus sharpening at least once each season, and then of course the entry price of my board setup and my cold-weather clothes. The car is probably the worst, routine maintenance, tires, and the fact that the evil little bugger runs on E45 (50/50 E85 and Premium) and sucks down gas like a water-buffalo, plus the money for the car, body work, turbo, tuning, buckets, hellish insurance premium (Pontiac Solstice, you Euros know it as the Opel Speedster) and regular registrations etc puts the car's ownership costs in the thousands per year - on top of the car payments for financing a $14k used car.
Warhammer, by comparison, is one of the cheapest of my hobbies when you break it down to years played vs. money spent. The simple fact is that you don't need to run around buying every new model and army that GW pushes down your throat - especially for 40k, where keeping up with the power creep is just an exercise in futility.

·
Interrogator-Chaplain
5,356 Posts
500 Euros a few years back to start my DA, Add another 500 in between for chars/bits and around 200 for the paints,brushes,paint removers, GS and modeling supplies in general. All in all 1200-1500 euros in a 5 year gap. My army is far from complete but it makes an effective foot list with bike and terminator support. I have only 1 rhino.

I was planning on spending somewhat around 500 more to get the new models when the new DA come out but with my house financials and my third year of unemployment it seems unlikely.

·
LO Ninja
1,214 Posts
Been playing for 10 years and have 3k GK and 4k Eldar, around £2000 speant I think.

But really thats £200 a year and only around £18 a month. I dont smoke so 40k is my drug lol

PL

Reactions: nacho cheese
G

·
I must have done nearly 2k, in the first couple of years. However that's dropping now, firstly I'm slowly losing interest partly due to GW and their price hikes, partly due to the other games I can play in half the time with the same points. And they're fairer.

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
Being that I try to finish a section of army before I buy up anything new, I only spend a few hundred a year. No impulse buys, no new model syndrome. I just wait it out and make purchases I think will actually help my army.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I usually buy something every time I walk into my FLGS. I feel they should get my business whenever I am in there..even just sucking up some of their A/C. Wheher that is a blister, a pot of paint or a large vehicle box is TBD buy the size of my paycheck that week and how much money it required to keep the wife happy that week as well.

When I walk into a GW store. I feel less inclined to buy something. However that just changed now because a new GW store opened in my area and my friend is the one running it. Its a one employee store and I will probably buy a few vehicles or infantry packs to support him and his numbers on this big opening.

This translates to about maybe $10-$50 a week. Now I ahve been known to go on month long, and several month long hiatus' from the hobby..not even touching my models for months at a time. Then I start up again and sped way to much lol.

This will probably happen when the NFL kicks off. Gotta watch my Pats!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts