Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Hey guys! Long time lurker, first time poster.

So I came across these on the interwebs, (if anyone knows the source, that'd be cool,) and I'm absolutely superamazinglywonderful smitten with them.

Any ideas on how they did that extra shiny reflective look? And of course, the lights?

Brimming with curiosity!

Attachments

·
Registered
490 Posts
Ok.. first to the extra shiny look.. Silver spray Paint... Honestly, that is about the only way.. it is actually probably spray on chrome.

As to the lighted eyes.. Drill a hole from the bottom of the head to hollow out the inside. Use a vice pin drill to drill out the eyes, then add an LED light inside the hollow head. Of course this will require a battery, and with this being the only pic, I would assume that the battery is placed inside the body cavity, or disguised in some other fashion. Gotta have a way to turn off the LED and replace batteries though.

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Looks like the batteries are mounted underneath the bases - there are switches at the back of each base to turn those freaky glowing necrons off (don't want to wake up at 3am and have an army of them ominously glowing at you, after all!)

But yeah, from a few things I've seen online necron heads aren't all that difficult to get an LED in to. There may even be a few tutorials over in our Tutorial Section, but I can't make any guarantees...

A guy who occasionally posts on these forums (Ein, if you wanted to search for him) and also on The Warforge loves lighting stuff up, and also enjoys showing people how he does it, so you may well be able to get a few tips from some of his projects if you were looking to replicate it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Now begs the question.. if the battery is under the base, and the LED is in the head.. where is the wire concealed that runs up the body?

·
Ender of Threads
1,306 Posts
Now begs the question.. if the battery is under the base, and the LED is in the head.. where is the wire concealed that runs up the body?
Running inside the body. They likely drilled holes through the center of the legs, fed the wires through there and made the connections inside the chest piece.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Being an electronics guy I agree with the posters. The slide switch is clearly on the back of the bases and is likely something termed 'sub miniature'. It is also likely that the connections to the switch are at right angles to fit everything under the base. As for the wire, the angle of the Necron legs makes me doubt whether the wire goes through one of the legs, you would need to drill holes from both the top and bottom of the leg and hope they line up. As we cannot see the back of the model I expect that the wire merely runs up the back of one of the legs, and being silver and thin, they would blend in with the colour of the model so as to almost hide it completely. 3mm diameter LED's are common place, but these look smaller. The issue here is not drilling a hole to fit the LED in, but soldering the wires to them, much harder if you want to conceal everything within the Necron.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
:D Aaah, thanks for the explanations guys. Gonna go pick me up some LEDs...

Edit : Oooh, thanks Deadstar! Turns out these are Eins work after all, he has a new admirer. :D

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Ein's work, really? Well, what are the odds? I guess I did say he's rather fond of lighting anything up...

He's also fond of using SMT (Surface Mount Technology, I think) LEDs, as they're really quite small so well suited to stuff like this. Although I think necron heads are big enough for your more standard LED, so whatever is easiest, I guess.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
That is oustanding work. I'm lucky if i can drill out a gun barrel straight.

·
Registered
924 Posts
You seem to have gotten quite a bit about the LEDs in the eyes already, but just a little bit about the shiny silver.

Spray on Chrome is possible, but that's not the only way to get a super silvery finish. Just let yourself explore some of the non-standard miniatures painting lines.

For example, check out Testor's line of metallics. They tend to have some pretty shiny silvers- the likes of which we don't see from Citadel.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Wow - I just absolutely love talented people with lots of time on their hands! I may try that on a dreadnaught before I tackle anything smaller.

Great job!!! And rep for Smurfz for finding the thread to this awesome project!

·
i am da Wahhchief
2,419 Posts
Shiver me timbers!

impossible...

i see it and i still cant believe it

·
Ancient Spacefarer
1,715 Posts
It certainly looks like the Chrome Silver from the Montana spray paints used by taggers and grafetti (sp?) artists, they have a huge range of acrylic colours, larger even than what GW has, I'll wager.

I don't know if they can be used as undercoating your models as I myself am still in the "Experimentation phase" of using them, mainly their metallics, matt colours and matt varnish. They're cheaper too!

As for the 'Crons, if you look closely just behind their backs there's something poking out, cover-up maybe?

Pretty spooky, but pretty cool as well!

-Kai-Itza-

1 - 14 of 14 Posts