Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

Personnally I was expecting so much of this new codex that having read it, I feel like a very little bit dissappointed :s.

I won't make a list of all my desillusions ( ;-) ) but I would have expected more cheaper troops/weapons and maybe more powerfull surprises.

For instance, the enginseer is a good idea, but why making an elite of him and not a hq-like character like a psyker, priest or commissar ! I use to take ratlings, ogryns and hardened vets in my army, now, if I want to have an engineseer, I need to get rid of one of them :(

Don't misunderstand me, I do not complain with the new codex, just expecting more power/less cost.

If I should give a quotation, I would go for a 6/10

Kryss

·
Registered
148 Posts
I agree with you too, but I think that with the new additions (Carp armour, better Hellhound, enginseer.....) that the New IG army WILL be a better match...jsut think, 4+ saves for reg troops now with the Carp. armour extra....a tad bit pricey, but it add a twist. Remember...they cant make the IG toooo powerfull either. After all, they are just human with tanks and lots o'guns.

·
Professional Lurker
2,085 Posts
i am nearly completely satisfied with the new codex,my only problem is that the doctrines could be more streamlined and the characters should be more regementalized ie gaunt can only be in a tanith army

·
Registered
374 Posts
Originally posted by kryss@Sep 10 2003, 02:56
Hello.

Personnally I was expecting so much of this new codex that having read it, I feel like a very little bit dissappointed :s.

I won't make a list of all my desillusions ( ;-) ) but I would have expected more cheaper troops/weapons and maybe more powerfull surprises.

For instance, the enginseer is a good idea, but why making an elite of him and not a hq-like character like a psyker, priest or commissar ! I use to take ratlings, ogryns and hardened vets in my army, now, if I want to have an engineseer, I need to get rid of one of them :(

Don't misunderstand me, I do not complain with the new codex, just expecting more power/less cost.

If I should give a quotation, I would go for a 6/10

Kryss
If you want more Elites just start a new Force Orginization chart. If you take Ratlings, Ogryns and an Enginseer you will use up 3 Doctrines anyways.

I like the new Elites list. Before, I never took Elites. Now I have 5 units of them to use.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I hate this new codex. the ig have never ever gotten a break since their inception in first edition. the hellhound is awful. i dont care what u say, u have to roll to hit, its a lot of points, and u have to roll to hit!!! how about cheaper setinals, or give back 2 of the funner tanks in the ig. they take away our guns and give us close combat and elites. very stupid.

·
Son of LO
2,160 Posts
I don't have the new codex yet, but I've heard nothing but good things from it. Even the bad news isn't that bad. The doctrines allow you to personalize your army to fit your own fluff which is really really nice. How can you go wrong with guard with sharpshooter doctrine?
You can still use two of the three tanks removed from it and I've never even seen one person use the griffon, so I'm sure that there aren't too many disappointed people over that one.

I won't make a list of all my desillusions ( ;-) ) but I would have expected more cheaper troops/weapons
I had heard that Hardened Vets were now 8 points per soldier instead of 10 and that Stormtroopers were 10 points instead of 12. I've also heard that all non-energy weapons got cheaper. I never used these units before because they were too expensive for their costs, but now I plan on using both Vets and Stormtroopers.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Personally, i think that the new codex is great, it could have included a bit more fluff from some of the battles the guard go through. Granted the codex does has its down side but other than that i am completly satisfied with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
yeah but if ur after an all cavalry army dont u think that it would make the guard like ppl from medieval times- i mean a unit of them is ok but i mean a whole army! isnt that a bit far, but then again sum ppl like the idea of a recon force mounted with fleet movement, its just a question of personal taste i guess!

·
Registered
848 Posts
I hav a catachan army at the moment but am selling them to replace them for Cadians. IF you have loads of Jungle terrain great, but 6+ armour and no lascannons come on. And the new restricted troups thing is just plain stupid.

In my opinion the doctrines are gr8 but get rid of having to choose ogryns.

(also they hav ruined the Last Chancers they are meant to be an elite force of convicts not some guy who just spilt coffee on his commanding officer)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think that the new last chanches are good. It allows you to personalise both how your last chanches look and function. I myself now have a last chancher squad, last game they ran off the table at 100% strength (no casualties) because my opponent decided to run his Devilfish into the squad.
Say what you want but i think that the new last chanches are great!

·
Registered
105 Posts
hate the new codex not because it's really bad but because i have 26 tanks and now armored co is not an option arrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh.
i think if you still have the rules for everything then you can still use them but i dont think GW would completly take a army out of print

·
Son of LO
2,160 Posts
First of all, armored companies are not a standard IG army. In fact, they are not even tournament legal. I think the rules for using them are in an older Chapter Approved book.

Secondly, I cracked open the new IG codex on friday and I would have to say that I am, overall, very happy with it.

I took the army that I used under the old IG rules and plugged all of the units into the new codex and I actually GAINED 39 points extra to use. Several of the units that I use actually got cheaper such as the autocannon heavy weapon teams and the squad of Ogryn.

I took these extra points, dropped a sentinel from my list and gave all my squads the sharpshooter discipline. Sharpshooter turned out to be worth every point during the last two games I used. I managed to turn more than 40 misses into hits in just one game.

All of my copmlaints are directed towards the removal half the tanks in the book. The might of the IG was just cut by 50% in one shot and that REALLY sucks, cause I love my exterminator.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I got the new Codex a day or two ago, and I think it's great. I like the doctrine system, though I would have wanted a bigger list of doctrines, but what they have is okay. The tweaked wargear list is pretty neat, and the fact that I have so many more options is really nice. Pretty good overall.

·
Registered
231 Posts
the only part of the codex i saw was the page with 4000 gaurdsmen and all the tanks and its hard to believe thats only half the army

·
Registered
82 Posts
im kinda disapointed in the doctrines, but the new point costs for ogyrns and vets are great. TO bad they didn't make the fast attack section, by far the worst changes, better. It would have been nice to see some new fast light tank or somthing. Sentinals cost so f ing much, so gay.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.