Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find a real answer so:

How do I bring a Vindicare Assassin into a IG list? Is it possible? Or does the list have to be a Daemon/Witch hunters list first? From what I have gathered, it sounds like IG can take from those armies to a point, but I don't understand how. I've looked though the Hunters' codices but I'm still not getting it. Im not looking for points since I know we can't post that, I just want to know if there's any stipulations on taking one of the assassins.

I would LOVE to get a Exidos (However its spelled) Rifle in my list, so I hope it's possible!

·
1,648 Posts
You can induct 1 HQ, 1 Elite, 2 Troops, and 1 FA after you have chosen the minimum 1 HQ 2 Troop from the IG codex.

Which means in order to get an assassin you must first take an Inquisitor Lord as you must have an Inquisitor in the army to take an assassin. I'd advise against the Vindicare, though. He's not really worth the points for what he does.

Callidus or Eversor are much more useful.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
3rd ed has the old Assassins codex. Isn't that still valid? According to codex Assassins you can take one for any Imperial force without restriction. That makes more sense to me than having some totally unrelated and unwanted branch of the Imperial bureaucracy tagging along. Who is the Inquisitor meant to be? The Assassin's minder? :p

·
1,648 Posts
Unfortunately the Daemonhunter and Witchhunter codicies have overridden the 3E Codex Assassins. GW did go ahead and say that Codex Assassins was no longer valid a while ago when the DH codex first came out. I'll link a reference if I find it.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I believe you, but that sucks. The Offiicio Assassinorum is nothing to do with the Inquisiton. Boo. A stock Inquisitor is only 20 points though, and with Purgatus can probably be kind of fun especially with the assassins doing so much stuff based on LD scores.

·
1,648 Posts
I believe you, but that sucks. The Offiicio Assassinorum is nothing to do with the Inquisiton. Boo. A stock Inquisitor is only 20 points though, and with Purgatus can probably be kind of fun especially with the assassins doing so much stuff based on LD scores.
But you need to take an I-Lord as the Assassin would be the elite choice. Personally I don't find it all that bad as an Inquisitor Lord has become a staple in my list, but yeah, it does suck for those people that only want to take an assassin.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had heard something to that effect on another forum, but it wasn't explained as well. Hence, my question. Thank you. I have a PDF of the assassin codex so I was wondering how that interacted.

And idk... being able to single out a model to kill seems pretty awesome to me. (The 4+ wound is the only problem, but eh, it would be pretty OP with that, AND there's the hellfire round if I REALLY need them dead)

But bringing the Inquisitor kind of puts me off, so I dunno.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Do something simple with the Inquisitor. Maybe a psychic hood, 2 mystics, and another retinue member for flavor.
This is what people usually do with Inq Lords. You get an infinate range LD10 hood, and any enemies DSing within 4D6 of the unit get t be shot by 1 of your units/models within 6" of the inquisitor squad. Besides it's not too expensive at 83pts.

The Emperor Protects

·
Registered
98 Posts
Do something simple with the Inquisitor. Maybe a psychic hood, 2 mystics, and another retinue member for flavor.
This is good advice, but also look into the Emperor's Tarot - it's excellent for its price. There are few armies that can match Guard for shooting, and taking Turn 1 is rarely a bad thing for us.

·
Registered
96 Posts
cool thats cleared stuff up for me to, but i still say Callidus Temple all the way :D but surely if you spoke to your opponent (in a friendly game) you could still take the assassins from their codex? i'd allow it to be honest, your paying the points, your using the rules, its not like its over-powered or anything is it?

·
1,648 Posts
Anything goes as long as your opponent agrees. But you opponent has the right to refuse as Codex Assassins is not a legal codex. It's just something to keep in mind. If you take the I-Lord, there is nothing your opponent can do to dispute you fielding an assassin.

In a friendly game I'd allow it as well. But in a competitive or tournament game, no way.

·
Registered
96 Posts
yeah thats fair enough, same thing goes for the fan0made codices, but i know tournaments are big meanies! >.< lol

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
An in Inquisitor can take up to 3 warriors in his retinue, each of which can carry a special weapon, Heavy Bolter (Servitor), or a Plasma Cannon (1 Servitor per retinue).

So you can use his squad as a firebase, or outfit them as an expensive Chimelta with benefits. They get the old-style 10-point plasma guns too, so you can use them for backfield protection if you steal a chimera from a platoon squad.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts