Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im new to lizardmen and warhammer in general i have an 800 maybe 1000point army already but im not sure units are better to make a good army because i think mine is missing somthein here is my army

slann mage priest with 5 temple gaurd

16 saurus

salemander hunting pack
1 kroxigar
8 saurus cold one riders

skink priest

saurus oldblood on cold one

what should i get to booast my army?

·
Registered
66 Posts
well first off you can't have the slann until 2000 points
secondly your squads aren't at full strength meaning you have to add more models
like this=
3 kroxigors is one 1 sqaud
ussaully a squad of 18 Saurus is recommended
and 3 salamanders models are in 1 pack

Next you should add alot of skinks 20 or 30 will do since skink is a crucial part in any Lizardmen Army
You can decide if you want some jungle swarm or a stegadon but if you're cheap JS would do but I perfer big power like the Stegadon

·
Registered
66 Posts
Oh yeah for Magic since you can't use the Slann Mage Priest (Not to mention the Old Blood)
because both take hero and character choice and you can't have them till 2000 points, I recommand you use a Skink Preist level 2 with either a dispell scroll or power stone

·
Ancient Spacefarer
1,715 Posts
im new to lizardmen and warhammer in general i have an 800 maybe 1000point army already but im not sure units are better to make a good army because i think mine is missing somthein here is my army

slann mage priest with 5 temple gaurd

16 saurus

salemander hunting pack
1 kroxigar
8 saurus cold one riders

skink priest

saurus oldblood on cold one

what should i get to booast my army?
That is a good starter force but like everyone had said there are things that you would need to improve and add to make a good solid force.

To start off with, Like everyone who'd started WH40K or WHFB, you'll first need to start off with by getting the Main Rulebook and the required Lizardmen Armies Book. It does sound like that you know your stuff but, I thought that I'd push that information forward incase you havn't.

the stuff in Red shows you what Units you need to improve on by bulking out its numbers as well as, the Units/Characters you cannot use until your army grow to a specific size so, let's start from the top:

Slann and bodyguard
The big fella is one big meanies and the best magic user in the game but is totally vulnerable when it come to Close Combat, he can basically control the magic phase all on his own when in the hands of a skillful player!

But, since he's so powerful, he's is counted as a LORD choice; meaning that he cannot be used unless your force total at least 2000 points including the big guy.
So, basically he cannot be used until you get more mini's! Sorry to pop you balloon here, but he really is that powerful!

Next, his unit of Temple Guard, again you can't use this unit unless your big guy is in there somewhere. Plus they need to be at least 10 strong for them to be a legal entry in the games rules.
Although I would rather prefer a Unit of regular saurus warriors with the Spawning of Tlazoatl, to may sure that they won't chicken out by fear/terror causing enemies! This would make them just as reliable in staying power during games as the TG!

Kroxigor

For me, Kroigor are really cool, mainly because nobody likes it when their favourite unit of Knights or Heavy Infantry get pwned by a hefty number of high strength attacks! Yep, these guys are perfect as a counter charge unit to be flung into the flank or rear of an enemy unit, when pinned in combat by your solid unit of Saurus Warriors the Kroxigors really do shine with their massive charge range and sheer furiosity! plus with a couple of cool special rules in there to boot!

Again, like the TG, the unit it too small to be used in games. A unit of 3-4 Kroxigors will do great as a tactically flexible unit.

The next point I will throw out there is the Salamander packs, marked out in Orange.

Salamanders

Okay, I can't resist the temptation here, these guys bring out the Lizardmen in another great dimension by having Dinosaurs that spit dirty great goblets of flame at your enemy, seems highly satisfying doesn't it? Though they do have their unpredictable times where the salamanders sometimes simply had enough of their handlers prodding them up the backside, turn around and give them a real taste of their medicine! always a funny moment when it happens!

Sure, you can have a game with just a single Salamander but, having just one seems a waste of poiints where you can have up to three for a single RARE choice, I'd say max out the unit with three teams of Salamander Packs, sit back and bring the fiery rain!

In the Green criteria, shows a solid base for the start of your Lizardmen army with a strong Saurus Scar-Vet. (Oldblood counts as a LORD Choice), a Skink Priest for a little piece of magic Defense/Offense, a solid unit of saurus warriors and a nice big unit of Saurus Cavalry.
Although, for a legal force you would need another CORE choice at least. For that I'd advise you to choose the Skink Skirmishers mainly for the reasons of:

1) Skink Screen - There guy's are cheap, fast and vulnerable to any type of attack, which makes them easy candidates for getting shot/charged at, only to be counter charged by your stronger units!

2) Annoying - Want a unit to annoy your opponent on turn one? then look no father, grab a unit of 10 upgrade them to scouts and hide them in a wood somewhere amongst the enemy. You can harass and slow the enemy troop movements by simply moving behind them! Because they're so cheap, the enemy will probably task a unit to chase them down meaning one less unit to worry about when you look to your main battle line ^_^.

3) Double Whammy! - Yep, in one boxed set you not only have one unit of 24 skinks, but 2 units of 12! making it well worth the investment :)

Hope this helps :)

-Kai-Itza-

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts
Im reading this thread in interest because, since getting the army book, ive been increasingly interested in Lizardmen becoming my next project- especially since to me the battalion box seems remarkable good value for money, certainly in comparison to my other choice Skaven.

What im planning to do (sorry, im not trying to hijack the thread!) is buy the battalion box and a couple of hero choices, a Scar veteran or skink mage- play a few games and see what way i want the army to go- i know at SOME point i want some big dinosaurs but im trying to take small steps with this project!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.