Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started to mix paint 90% of the time. Mostly only with water. Here is my problem. The Citadel pots are, as the description says, pots. How do you people scoop up the paint and waste as little as possible?

I normally use the back end of a match and try to scrape as much off as possible on the edge of the mixing depression on my plastic mixing palette. Then I try to add another paint on the other side and stir. If I then need more paint from the second pot, I have to take a new match.

Is there some smart way of getting paint out? I'm a slow painter and often paint no more than tops 4-5 miniatures at the same time so I mix very little paint at the same time.

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
I use toothpicks, myself. I started out doing that because I didn't have enough brushes to spare one for mixing.

I also started using Vallejo paints, too, which makes things MUCH easier. :D

·
Gentlemen.
738 Posts
If you're dead set on GW paints, you can always get a bunch of eye-dropper style pots (empty) and a small funnel. The eye dropper bottles make getting proportions right soo much easier.

·
Registered
490 Posts
empty pots are excelent for mixing colors..

Pour the ratio of paint to paint you want into the empty pot.. then Shake well..

As for adding water to thin for use.. Get a Paint Pallet, use the larger brush to pull the paint out of the pot and apply to the pallet.. add the drops of water needed to thin and paint from the pallet with the pot closed..

Or get rid of citadel paints and use Reaper Paints, or other paints that have a dropper type top.

·
Registered
293 Posts
If I'm mixing paints, I'm probably not drybrushing. I use my drybrushing brush. The flayed ends hold paint well.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your good advice.

I'm pretty stuck with GW-paints as I got the big box for Christmas. And I haven't really found any good hobby stores in Norway.

I use a palette for mixing and I think I will stick with the toothpick solution. I feel I would waste too much paint when using a brush as I mix very little amount of paint at the same time.

As a side note: Does anyone know of any good hobby stores in Oslo (Norway)?

Now the autumn is coming to Norway. Then maybe I can get back to painting again :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts