Librarium Online Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
What about a chapter from the 'Dark Founding'. are there any objections/regulations for a Dark Founding chapter

·
Registered
604 Posts
I've been thinking of creating my own chapter for a while. I've worked out a few of the basics, any comments or tips would be appreciated.

Chapter name:
The Blood Knights.

Founding:
The Blood Knights are decendants of Sanguinius but they are not a founding chapter, instead they are a chapter formed in blood, loss and betrail. The second founding chapters of The Blood Reapers and The Knights Sanguine were both children of the great angel and close allies.
Both chapters had their home worlds in the same sector of the galactic north. These worlds existed near the edge of a great Ork empire, one of the largest and longest lasting ever recorded by the Imperium. Shortley before the age of aposty, when the great warp storms that choked the galaxy were just brewing and serious restrictions in warp travel were just begining to be felt, a great Waarrggg!!! was brewing within the Ork empire.

Both chapters had faced this threat many times before and had refined their responce to a fine art. The plan was elegant in it's simple brutalerty.
A lightening strike at the Ork capital. Reign fire from the sky, destroy the Ork capital and kill the warboss holding the wild, chaotic Orks together.
With the snakes head removed the body would die. The Orks would spend the next century fighting amoungst themselves untill another warboss rose to unite them. Alas, all did not go according to plan.

As neither chapter made it's home on a brutal hell world, which would effectivly weed out the weak and the soft they found it practical to cast a wider net when searching for new recruits. They would gather potential recruits from several surounding worlds, infact, both chapters shared several of the same worlds for their recruitment. Unknown to all, the taint of Chaos stained several of these worlds. Agents of the cursed Alpha Leigeion had infultraited these worlds. They hid themselves in the shadows, in the dank depths of the underhives and slums of the great citys, laying the ground work of their treachery. They would use their dark arts to plant the seed of Chaos in the minds and souls of young children. They would burry this seed so deep inside the mind of their innocent victems, not even they would know it had happened. Every now and again a child would go missing, then return several days later saying they had simpley got lost in the dark city streets or tunnels of the underhive.
Over the course of centurys several of these children grew into fine young men worthy of becoming SpaceMarines, and so, the cancer of Chaos infected the chapters of The Blood Reapers and The Knights Sanguine.

On the eve of their missions to derail the Ork Waaarrggg!!! Tragerty and betrail strook. Triggered by some unknown source, SpaceMarines belived loyal by all, believed loyal by themselves, turned on their brothers, alough numbering only several dozen in each chapter, several dozen Astartes with the element of surprize can do a lot of dammage. At the fortress monistary of the Blood Reapers the traitors managed to activate the monistarys self destruct and reduce the once mighty fortress to a smoking crater surrounded by chared rubble. Many marines were present in the fortress that day, preparing for the campain against the Orks. less than 600 survived.
The betrail of the Knights Sanguine came once they had set off aboard their mighty battle barge and surpporting strike cruisers. The traitors had taken control of two of the cruisres and without warning rammed the mighty battle barge. Caught unaware with it's sheilds down, the vessle was crippled. Over 300 Marines died.

The Blood Reapers had lost their home, their chapter master, so many of their brothers and all the surpplys, equipment, vheicles and re-surpply capabilerty needed to wage war. The Knights Sanguine's battle barge had been crippled beyond use and two of their five strike cruisere lost, they also found themselves unable to wage war.

And they were now both unable to stop what was coming!

Isolated from the wider galaxy by the growing warp storms, what was left of the two chapters, the locel Imperial Gaurd regiments and PDF's
has no choice but to stand alone against the green tide.

Centurys later when the age of aposty came to an end and the warp storms cleared, the Imperium found no surviving Imperial worlds in the sector only a hand full of isolated astoriod coloneys and refugee fleets living in hiding. The once mighty Ork empire had been reduced to less than half it's former size and might.

Imperial investigators learned that after decades of desperate fighting, one by one the imperial worlds fell. Infested with green skins, running wild slaughtering the human populous the planets surviving govoners decided it was best to enact exterminatus once all that were able had fled the planet. The two SpaceMarine chapters, crippled and under equiped saw the simple practicalerty of joining together and so renamed them selves The Blood Knights.

Homeworld (or lack thereof):
After the loss of their homeworlds to the overwhelming green tide the Blood Knights were forced to flee. (as much as it sickens an Astartes to do so) They fled to a large mining astoroid, the astoroid was extremley rich in raw adamantiun thus made an ideal makeshift fortress to make a stand.
Fortunatley, several mounths before the Blood Knights were driven to retreat, the great Ork Warboss Skullbiter was killed after the fall of the hive world Natu when the great fusion reactors were set to overload and deny the falen world to the Ork scum.
Without the great warboss, the Ork infighting soon started. After a seige lasting 7 weeks the Ork invaders were defeated. With their empire crumbling from infighting no new Ork re-enforcements or replacements were sent against The Blood Knights.
Without anywhere to return home to and pleased with the streanth of their make shift fortress The Blood Knights decided to make the astoroid their home.

Stratergy:
With a surviving fleet of 3 working strike cruisers and 15 thunderhawks, crewed by only 537 surviving marines from the two origanal chapters the Blood Knights knew that all out war was impossible. They instead resorted to hit and run strikes and pirate tactics. They scavenged shipwrecks of once great Imperial Navy battle ships and the remnants of their own battle barges, towing the wreckage back to the astoroid for the TechMarines to use as raw materials and parts. They gathered several hundred refugees and brought them to the astoroid as workers. After 150 years of surply raids and constant construction work the great astoroid was fitted with huge engins and enough armourment to exterminatus whole systems. The great Star Fortress Heavans Vengance was born.

Knowing that if the Orks learned of such a mighty threat they may unite against it and liking the state of infighting amongst the Orks, chapter master Samuel Barker decided to keep to the policy of brutal and brief, hit & run tactics against the Orks. With paintance and cunning, the great star fortress was only brought into action when they could be shure of no survivors. Raiding partys gathering surplys would often slaughter a few Ork tribes while planet side inorder to bait presures. None that followed the Blood Knights strike cruisers into the waiting ambush would return to speak of what they saw. When the oppatunity arose, large scale assaults would be launched. Brutal assaults, killing tens of thousands then retreating before the Orks knew what hit them. Leaving only piles of dead Orks and enraged survivors behind them they would draw large Ork forces away from the planet in presuit. With few ships remaining on or around the planet, the chance of survivors escaping to reveal what they saw reduced, Heavans Vengance would decend upon them! Once the strike cruisors evaded the Orks chasing them and the Orks returned home, they would find a broken, dead world.

And so, things continued like this for several centurys untill the great warp storms cleared and the isolated star cluster rejoined the rest of the galaxy. Upon regaining contact with the rest of the Imperium and their brother Marines, the Blood Knights called for aid from their cousins, the Blood Angels and many of the other successor chapters. A feirce crusade of vengance and extinction was launched, halfed in streanth and lacking a strong leader to unify them, the Orks were slaughtered en mass! After another 107 years the Blood Knights crusade of vengance was over. (their first crusade anyway, the sting of betrail is still with them and future grudges always come)

I also have some stuff about the chapter today, how they differ from other chapters, special rules ect.... Since I've just written a short novel I'll wait to se if anyone is interested before I write more. Comments, likes, dislikes...?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have (or WIP) four armies. Space marines, Imp Guard, Tau and Eldar. All are themed for one purpose, anti Nids. My reason for this is that all four races have been in the front lines against this threat and they have managed to survive and learn the extreem threat represented.

My problem - I've used these four races as these four are the ONLY ones that MIGHT be able to see past past hatred and offer help to others who've 'seen the light'. My fluff states that it was the Tau who first proposed the idea to form an alliance, the Ta'Ro'Cha (Three empires, one purpose: Marines and Imp are part of the same empire) and the others slowly came to agree given that alone, none of them would survive.

All four know and accept their fate to never again be trusted by their own people and for the survival of all races against the Nids freely accept aid from each other as they wage total war against the hive fleets, delaying them for as long as possible. Is this a viable fluff to use, given that I personally believe the nids to be the one threat all races should focus their energy on?

I read a thread on how all Chapters are bound to the will of Terra and the High Lords - the Inqusition will NOT like this Xenos Alliance but would they be willing to accept it if it A) means this chapter will be doing a job no-one else wants, B) carries a high risk they will be killed anyway or C) buys more time against a grave threat the Imperium will have to face one day anyway?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I know of someone who did a DIY chapter that was supposed to be inspired by Vikings or some such, so he named them the 'Northern Marines'. Oh how we laughed when we heard this. Wheres their fortress monastery, York Minster? Where do they recruit form, the violent street gangs of Hull? (PS im from Hull so Im allowed to bad mouth it, you are not!) Or do they just recruit from under-14s rugby league teams?

For t'Emperer! And t'North!

For those of you not from the UK... oh never mind.
i cant breath

·
Registered
475 Posts
Okay I have been pondering my own chapter for awhile but today a thought struck me. Say that a chapter is founded with Ultramarine Geneseed but because of crisis arising they are forced to deploy along say.. Black Templars and decide they like the black templars Tactics/culture/beliefs better than the ones of the Ultramarines and decide to rever Rogal Dorn instead of Roboute Guilliman. Would this be in any way logical or doable? I get a chapter like this would tick the ultramarines off to no end but I doubt they would be allowed to attack another loyal chapter.

·
Double Clutching Weasel
3,279 Posts
Okay I have been pondering my own chapter for awhile but today a thought struck me. Say that a chapter is founded with Ultramarine Geneseed but because of crisis arising they are forced to deploy along say.. Black Templars and decide they like the black templars Tactics/culture/beliefs better than the ones of the Ultramarines and decide to rever Rogal Dorn instead of Roboute Guilliman. Would this be in any way logical or doable? I get a chapter like this would tick the ultramarines off to no end but I doubt they would be allowed to attack another loyal chapter.
Not saying that it couldn't happen. With good enough writing anything is possible.

Buuuuut, don't forget that space marine loyalty and pride to their chapter, parent chapter, and primarch is as ingrained into their being as their physical gene-seed itself. Not just pride, but fierce pride. Tradition comes as naturally to space marines as rebuilding a bolter. You're talking about being indoctrinated for decades to think that your chapter and primarch are the best things ever, the pinnacle of combat doctrine. Not just indoctrinated, but spending every waking moment while not learning how to kill tings sitting in contemplation about how great your chapter and it's primarch is. All while being surrounded by the rest of your chapter so that you get to all talk together about how great your chapter and it's primarch is.

It will take more than merely fighting alongside another chapter, seeing how they fight for them to say to themselves, "Gee, why didn't I think of that? That's a totally better way of doing things. Guilliman was a tool. That Dorn guy had it right."

·
Registered
475 Posts
I was thinking more in line with a Later founding of a chapter. Right after the first batch is being finished they are a attacked by say... 'Nids. Their parent chapter and another chapter go to fight this threat and their parent gets a royal whooping while the other one triumphs. They are pushed into service to protect the sector and make the logical move to follow the winning chapters tactics and after awhile their traditions get picked up as well.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Tactics, yes, tradition, not really. For example - the SmurfJrs might decide to start keeping their Scouts alongside their Tacticals similarly to the Templar Neophytes, but they're not going to start wearing the tabards, chaining their weapons to themselves, taking vows, or deploying an Emperor's Champion, or hating psychers.

What is more likely to happen is some kind of hybrid of the original traditions with the new tactics. They won't get rid of their old ways, but they might have to change it a bit. They wouldn't adopt another chapter's ideology - why would they? Would you start speaking Japanese, eating with chopsticks, bowing to your superiors, and sleeping on a mat just because you think that Japanese martial arts are superior to traditional Western fighting? Probably not. Neither would Marines.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi im pretty new to warhammer so bare with me if i get some mythos wrong. also my writeing is terrable

the only name i can think of is deamons bane but i dont like it

i dont have a home picked out but i know i want it to be very close to the eye of terror and the reason is there home planet was destryoed by the world eaters the whole planet burned even though they were able to repel the attack so they decided to settle on a planet right by the eye of terror so they will always be closest to fight chaos

culture
the longer they stayed by the eye the more and more mutations they developed most common is deamon wings and second is horns. at first they tried to purge the mutations with no progress to it the kept them decideing that the will be the deamons that will fight chaos the wings really changed the way they fought they have almost no heavy troops so the act as a fast attack armie hitting as hard and fast as they can. decorate there armor to look monsterous to strike fear in there enemy. deamons bane was planning on launch a crusade into the eye. before they could there chapter master "Arril" gave into chaos starting a civil war. the loyalist were able to get grey knights come to there aid to win. the new chapter master "Dòmhnallan" in fear of something like that happening again asked the Inquisiton to stay and prevent that.
there whole life has become ritualised to prevent chaos from taking hold in there ranks even though it still happens form time to time just never on a large scale. they like to fight hand to hand in a highly discipline martial art thinking that by maintaing control in combat they wont let chaos seep into them
the inquisition stays there to keep them loyal and study the effects of being so close to the warp

the armie play style is almost all fast attack squads that excel in hand to hand combat. they have a very difficult time feilding tanks and terminators because they have so few so they cost extra points

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Definately try running your posts through Microsoft Word first and proof-reading, its very difficult to figure out exactly what you mean when grammar and language isn't clear.

From what I can decipher, definately not Daemon's Bane for a Chapter name, its far too specific; the easiest way to name a Chapter is to pick an animal and then an adjective, such as 'the Green Lions' or 'the Steel Ravens'. The most common words that form part of a Chapter name tend to be 'Angels' or 'Emperor', so maybe those as well.

Strike out the mutations. Almost every Chapter that develops mutations that severe, such as the Soul Drinkers or Black Dragons, either exile themselves or are driven out by the Inquisition. Make the changes more mental and subtle in nature, like how your Marines can somehow sense souls or emotions, that way they can hide it from the larger Imperium and therefore stay alive.

There are currently 18 Chapters near the Eye of Terror, who's goal is solely to fight those who live within it. These are known as the Chapters Praeses, so making a new one is kind of iffy. Instead of the Eye, maybe have them established near a smaller, less prominent warp storm.

As for the Grey Knights, there existence outside of the Inquisition is known only to Chapter Masters, so if he fell to Chaos the Loyalists wouldn't know about the Grey Knights and call for help. They may call to the Inquisition or, more likely, other Space Marine Chapters, who may then involve the Grey Knights. Once they get involved, any who see or hear of them will get their memories wiped after the conflict is over, so it's a big sacrifice. Also, Space Marine Chapters are incredibly independent, and wouldn't ask another entity, especially the Inquisition, to stay and regulate their Chapter after the civil war.

So what you have is a good basis for a DIY Chapter, but you just need to research the factions involved a little more. Use Lexicanum, it's an online wiki about Warhammer that is a great way to research anything you want related to 40k. Here's the link: Lexicanum

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Yeah, I'm definitely with Marius. The mutations are a problem, but the real killer is the fact that they have a chapter civil war and then continue to have marines within their ranks fall. At that point, the GKs would probably just wipe 'em and declare them Heretics. The Imperium really doesn't mess around with that stuff, there's no "3 Strike Policy". Hell, the entire "deep, dark, secret" of the Dark Angels is that a few of them fell to Chaos, and the entire chapter was only considering siding up with Horus (not even Chaos - just Horus) during the Heresy. The punishment for siding against the Imperium (if you could prove beyond a shadow that you hadn't fallen to Chaos) in the Badab conflict was somehing along the lines of 1000+ years of hard crusading to prove your loyalty. That's if you were a Space Marine. In the Age of Apostasy, those non-marines who sided with the High Lords of Terra rather than the Ecclesiarchy, were wiped off the map, plain and simple. The Imperium is basically a cross between the Nazis and Inquisitorial Catholic Spain, you don't step out of line in that situation.
Furthermore, if your chapter has had a problem with Chaos in the past, or mutation, they won't be allowed near Chaos again - they'll fight something boring, like Orks, or Tau.

I think that Daemons Bane is a bit too specific, unless your chapter was founded for that exact purpose -few Chapters are, thanks to GKs and Exorcists holding down that particular fort. Tossing 'Wardens' into your name might help though - it's a common name for Chapters who are designated to guard a specific place.

Furthermore, to get around the 18 Praeses, put your Chapter outside the Maelstrom. It's the second largest Warp rupture in the galaxy, behind the Eye, and a frequent hideout for rogues, pirates, and heretics of all shapes and sizes. Being that it's the Warp behind these tears, the guys on the other side can travel between the Eye and Maelstrom quite freely - it's a wonder that Abbadon went "hey diddle-diddle straight up the middle" and charged out of the Eye, into the Cadian Gate, when he could've sucker punched the whole Imperium and jumped out of the Maelstrom instead.

And yeah - GK involvement is pretty much a last resort, and you chapter would have NO IDEA that they were ever even there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Questioning Assuumptions

Got just a couple of questions relating to the "don'ts" in the first post... (Most only half serious, but also only half joking.)

-No Legions. Honestly, unless you are going to collect 10,000 marines it's not even worth discussing
And what if it is your life's ambition to be able to field a full legion? Collect 10,000 marines one squad rescued from the discount bin at a time?

-No fighting on Terra. You'd be a Legion.
Ok, sure, I get the subtext, unless you are first or second founding and were one of the legions that was there you didn't participate in the kerfulffule at the imperial palace. But what if you are a young chapter (26th or 27th* founding) and some of your oldest vets were recruited from arenas and street gangs on Terra?
*(Used to be that GW said each decade IRL was a century 40K era, well at my local shop our league keeps up that practice and it now is the 160's of M42, and in "125" there was a "27th" founding...)

-No Sister of Battle marriages
OK, again, I get the subtext: but what about "diplomatic" marriages, and pairing your squads 1/1 between two allied forces? You know, for every squad of Assault Marines you have one of Seraphim, each Dreadnought a Penitent Engine, every Devastator Squad paired with one of Retributors, and so forth...?

Anyway, this thread has been helpful and fun, and expect a thread soon with my DIY chapter for critique.

(Needs its own thread, way to long for here.)

41 - 54 of 54 Posts