Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Keeper of Records and Ale
10,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A general problem with new members on the forums is struggling to get your pictures to show up on the forums. This little guide will show you a single method which I personally use and have never had any problems with.

The first step is to sign up for a image hosting website. Many painters, myself included, favour Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket as their host of choice. There are various different ones out there, but this one I find makes the process a little bit smoother. So, once you have signed up you are ready to follow this guide.

Step 1

As you can see in this picture you have the ability to either create a new album [1] or select to upload a picture [2]

Step

After selecting to upload an image you should be taken to this screen. To upload an image select [1] and proceed to step 3. Also in this screen you can select to have these images appear in an album [2] from a drop down menu. You can also pick how you want to upload the image [3], the default is set to 'my computer'.

Step 3

In this step you will be able to pick the images to be uploaded, you can select multiple ones to be uploaded in one bulk go. Just remember that the larger the images the longer it will take to be uploaded, and uploading many large images can actually have problems (ie freeze).

Step 4

Congratulations! You have now uploaded pictures to the internet. But how do you get these to show up in a thread on the forums? Well, look at...

Step 5

When you hover over the image you get a dialogue pop up. Select the one that has been circled, this already includes the tags for the forum. You are ready for the forum. Posting the link will look like thus:

After posting your image will show up in the thread. You have now posted an image! Congratulations, go make yourself a drink in celebration. The important think to remember is that all images must be enclosed by the
tags for it to show up on the forums.

Kuffy

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Is it ok to use the "basic uploader" that is available when you click on the picture button when posting a reply? or is the photobucket way preferable? is there a difference?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
[MENTION=794]Rob[/MENTION]oute, the photobucket method means that the LO server doesn't 'hold' the image thereby not taking up it's disc space, it just displays a link which you have given it - in this case photobucket. Look at it as having a window open to look at a car from your lounge, instead of having the car in your lounge!

If you go onto an image hosting site, it will allow you to upload the images onto their servers, and also allow you as Kuffy's tutorial shows, to get the correct code to allow you to share the image. Hope this helps explain it.

adding on the back of Roboute's question, if we use the img tag such as from photobucket do we still have to abide by the 700pixel wide limit for photos or is that just when using the uploader?

·
Keeper of Records and Ale
10,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[MENTION=794]Rob[/MENTION]oute, the photobucket method means that the LO server doesn't 'hold' the image thereby not taking up it's disc space, it just displays a link which you have given it - in this case photobucket. Look at it as having a window open to look at a car from your lounge, instead of having the car in your lounge!

If you go onto an image hosting site, it will allow you to upload the images onto their servers, and also allow you as Kuffy's tutorial shows, to get the correct code to allow you to share the image. Hope this helps explain it.

adding on the back of Roboute's question, if we use the img tag such as from photobucket do we still have to abide by the 700pixel wide limit for photos or is that just when using the uploader?
Cheers for the explanation.

As to the image size, I would recommend that when you crop the image before hosting to keep the width dimensions to between 700 and 800px. Any more and you risk distorting the page and the image coming across oversized.

Kuffy

·
Not dead yet
1,463 Posts
Thanks Kuffy and Kaleb for the explanation. This will help old school gamers like myself whom have been flying blind when it comes to posting images on these forums. The first time I posted I simply got lucky in getting it to work and then stuck to that method every time. I will correct myself in the future.

:)

Regards,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts