Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey all, i have been trying to get my self back in to 40k and i have a big battle force of crons but i kined of fine them very bland like is there any way to maybe make them a little more fluffly so far i got rising from the ground and a flayed lord based on xipe totec. of course my paint job to fit xipe totec wouldhave to be gold, which i think is some what unquie i guess. any other ideas or should i just switch armies. thanks

p.s. what are necrons based on egyptians cause they seem o me like they are

·
LO Zealot
1,552 Posts
Architectualy and visual necrons do have Egpytian Influence, however much... darker. Militarly and tacticaly Necrons resemble primarly the Acient Greeks. A huge giveaway for this is the commonly used Necron tactic "The Phlanax" Which was popularized by the Greek legions ( However was replaced by the superior Roman Empire's tactics.) as too of spicing up your necrons I'm stumped there seeing as how my lists are as about as bland as necrons get. But wow they sure do well on the battle feild... Except those dang Eldar... No matter what I do I actually rarely win against them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you have the time/skill you could try sculpting monk cloaks on them. I think the easiest way to spice up the crons is through there bases. Maybe large mounds of rubble/ folage/ corpses? Or maybe try going for a greek theme with pariah Spartans :0

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
Sometimes paint and decals are all you need. Check out the codex. Some paint schemes are "normal," uniform color on the whole model, while others mix it up a bit. There's a destroyer lord in there with a chrome body and parts of it glossy red. Even if you've already painted your army, a new unit (say, you want to add immortals) could be painted differently to make it stand out. They do it in the codex. So can you!

What do you plan to add for units to your army? You might consider scratchbuilding stuff instead of buying the "stock" models. Not only can it be cheaper, but you could come up with some interesting stuff.

For example, you can buy flayed ones hands as bits from GW direct. All flayed ones are are "standard" warrior bodies with the hands attached, really. Experiment with re-posing them, and use green stuff to represent the flesh. I had an idea for a while of painting a squad in different flesh tones (human, orc, eldar, tau). Scratchbuilding units like Pariahs you might find yourself saving quite a bit of money, too.

While doing this, you also might consider mixing a few pieces in there from the Tomb Kings sprues. There are a few nice heads there with headdresses, etc., that would look cool, and reinforce the "Egyptian" feel. Check out battlewagonbits on the War Store's Web site.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
well what do you think anout this idea.doing a tribal type army .my lord having wurrzags mask(from WHFB) and a voodoo doll as his res orb. of course having the rest of the army painted in nice war tattoos.

but i am stuck on what be my base colour and what would i do for destroyers

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
First off I'd like to say that I don't actually play necrons, but do have the codex and my mate plays them.
The idea of having 'tribal' crons just doesn't seem right to me - they are much more egyptian than anything else, especially some tribal influence like south american of african.
As suggested using the Tomb Kings range would add a lot of 'spice' to the army, in my opinion. You could model immortals with a mix of tomb guard or give them jackal heads and even have the heavy destroyers based off ushabti (the big construct things). Tomb Spyders and Tomb King Scorpions? Necrons with the standard egyption robe etc. A Necron Destroyer Lord based of a Tomb King but on a 'flying chariot' (sun chariot - egyptian mythology?). The possibilities are rather extensive and can be applied extremely well.
As far as paints go blues and golds and bright silvers would be the way to go I think, as well as bone robes on the models.
Hmm, i'm quite impressed with that. I might even consider attempting it after my other armies (1 down only 5 more to go)

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
You could always try this, if you want: > Link! <

I like the idea of the tribal Necrons, though. And, oddly enough, I think really shiny metals might work well - didn't the Aztecs have great reverence for gold and other precious metals? So, just in my opinion, I think a really polished silver look with gold trim here and there might look pretty good.

And would some manner of vines draped over the weapons and bodies of the Destroyers work? (For some reason I associate tribal with jungle, so I thought the vines might fit in...)

Actually, that might work with all your models (might get tired of it, though...)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Feel free to ignore this post, as my favourite thing about the Necrons is the fact that they all look the same :) I don't actually like the faux Egyptian theme at all, so I don't use any glyphs and I don't even pick out the chest emblems... nothing to do with the fact that I'm a sucky painter of course...

The one thing that seperates my 'crons from anyone else's that I've seen is thier guns. I really didn't like the space lego green tubes at all, and for Warriors I thought it made no sense at all to have a gun which looks like a sniper rifle when it's in fact a close range Bolter-type affair. PLUS the bayonet blades are all wrong for troops who are doing their level best to keep out of assualts whenever possible due to thier close combat abilities sucking like an asthmatic Dyson.

So, all my Warriors have had thier bayonets removed and the green rods (and suporting beam) chopped out too. I also remove the round section above where the Warrior's supporting arm's hand is, and glue the pointy gun muzzle (minus the bottom point) directly onto it.

The result is a much nastier-looking Bolter-sized gun which fits the stats of the model much better, doesn't look like Lego and doesn't closeline every other Warrior with 2inches everytime time it walks, goes down, or gets back up... Trust me it looks brutal, so brutal in fact, that I did the same chop job on my Immortals, and now they look brrruuutal!

Did I mention that they look brutal?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.