Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my army I have alot of hormagaunts. I ussaully use them against a tac squad or something like that but they never make up the points. am I using them wrong? could someone help me make them more efective

· Registered
457 Posts
The way I see it there are two ways of using hormagaunts, either they're for charging the enemy and keeping them from shooting your real CC experts up, or the hormagaunts are your real CC experts.

I prefer the first method, you send the hormagaunts across the table to engage the enemy and block LoS by getting into combat, the hormagaunts arent expected to win these combats, they just have to tie the enemy up long enough for my CC warriors and genestealers get to grips with the enemy.

The second method requires that you upgrade your hormagaunts, personally I'd go for the adrenal glands (I) upgrade and possibly toxin sacs too.
With the additional I the hormagaunts will strike before space marines and most other units too, so think of this as a life prolonging upgrade.
The benefits of the toxin sacs are obvious, but I'm not sure if the upgrade is cost efficient, less points spend on upgrades = more hormagaunts = more attacks = better odds on wounding, not to mention that extra gaunts means that the unit will be able to take more casualties going in.

Since you need to provide synapse for your gaunts inorder for them to function, I think the first method is the most logical. When a units is tied up with hormagaunts, try throwing a ravener into the mix.. the hormagaunts will provide numbers and the ravener will provide amazing killing power.

· Registered
665 Posts
yeah the way to go is the first option. tie up his units so your wariors can rend them asunder.

dont force yourself to belive that your units have to "make their points back" you will never get the result that you want.

· señor brushman!
1,597 Posts
I usually give my Hormies Toxin Sacs and +1 Initiative, and use Gaunts as units to tie up squads and block line of sight and it seems to work pretty well for me. I think 10 pts is too much to use as a "meat shield" when you can be using a 4 pt model for the same effect. (5-6 if you add a weapon).

Anyway,
Ben

· Registered
457 Posts
Yes, 10pts is a lot for a meat shield, but giving them expensive upgrades do not change this, on the contrary it makes them even more tempting targets for AP5 weapons.

Personally I think meatshields are for soaking up enemy fire, and I use spinegaunts to do that, where as hormagaunts block LoS. Its a similar tactic to the meatshield one, but its not doable with the much cheaper spinegaunt because they lack the fast charge.

P.S It can never be 4pts, since you HAVE TO add a weapon.

· Registered
195 Posts
I use in the campaing that I'm playing hormies too. And they are DAMN good! They killed 20 SoB with a little help from some Warriors(3). They can move upto 24" !!! AND THAT IS ALOT ! 6" move, fleet (1"-6") and the fast charge (12"). The warriors were winged so they could move 24" too. I used a squad of 8 Spinegaunts in front of the Hormies so they can soak up the fire. And so they did. And the Warriors right behind the hormies.

· stupidity just kicked in!
815 Posts
yeah option one is the way to go... Homas rely on numbers instead of quality. Sometimes you're lucky and can kill alot of pts back and sometimes they don't. Once I assaulted 6 terminators with 16 homas and they killed 5 of them! But that time I got lucky and rolled some nice to wound rolls. Most of the time homas are just meant to die to enemy fire and get to CC asap so your nasty bugs have less enemy fire shooting at them. You don't have to worry that your homas don't win their pts back cause your expert CC bugs shure will. like 2 stealers taking out a devestator squad of 6 marines. or a brood of 3 CC warriors/ravengers taking out that squad of 10 striking scorpions. Your better bugs will win back pts many times their own while your gaunts/rippers will just die without winning any pts sometimes. So don't warry about your gaunts ;)

· Registered
195 Posts
I agree with IAmAngel, use Spinegaunts in front of the Hormies .... there's the meat shild ... If you field 12(or more)/squad you can destroy enemy light infantry rather quick (sometimes even heavy infantry like terminators :D )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.