Librarium Online Forums banner

How would i go about..

922 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Ubernyaw 
#1 ·
Hey, dudes!

I've accually been persuaded to collect IG.. cause there kewl ^^
But i want like.. a chaos IG
what should i use for some conversions (Maruders of chaos?)

Also could some combat squads be of ANY help?

#2 ·
I don't know what you mean by "combat squads" (space marines?) but you can eaily convert chaos guard simply by carving up their armour a bit (to make it look more worn) and giving them an "evil" paintjob. You could also mix in some bitz from beastmen and marauders.
For a really chaotic army you could use the Lost and the Damned list in Codex:Eye of Terror since it allows mutants, spawn, chaos marine allies etc, as well as regular chaos "guardsmen" and vehicles.

#4 ·
a few pointers:

Hey man:

first off, a public service announcement: The word "Kewl" is kind of annoying, say cool. I hate interweb speak. A regimental comissar will contact you about punishment detail LOL jk

Ok, as for your question in regards to "chaos guard". Earlier in the thread somebody said to look at the LATD army list entree in the eye of terror book. They are right. You want to look at the eye of terror book because it covers the army that would be the equivalent to the IG in service of chaos.

General differences is that the LATD are not IG on paper or in the game:

LATD have 10-15 man squads i believe, the IG uses platoon construction
LATD have agitators as squad leaders, which work like an aspiring champion or a commissar with wargear.
LATD have access to an additional weaponry entry that is something to the effect of "firearms" im not sure of the weapon stats, get the book and it says.
LATD use mutants and the vicious BIG mutants and SPawns, these are great and if you get em into CC they will ALWAYS earn back their points.
LATD gets the traitor versions of imperial armor, this can be a good thing.

Combat squads are a space marine thing, if you mean a CC based IG squad, id have them led by a priest or use a CC heavy command squad. A regular IG squad will get their asses handed to them in CC by tau, so imagine what a bunch of bezerkers would do to them

IG have officers, Vt Sgts. and rely on a LARGE Leadership web, kind of like the tyranid synapse to be effective. If you have ever lost a squad to bad moral, you know what i mean.
IG have the doctrine system, allowing you to personalize your army.
The IG have an overwhelming amount of customization options in squad weaponry, on a good day, you lay down more firepower with the IG and the sharpshooter doctrine in place than ANY other army is capable; even tau.

Despite my past opinions on them, stormtroopers when used effectively are pretty hard to deal with.

My point is, that if you want to play LATD, remember the fact that its like the IG, but weaker, with chaos influence. If you want "cultist" like guys, just use the Alpha or Black LEgion, get a bunch of IG boxes, and make yourself meatshield cultists until your heart bursts.

There is a GW article on the blood pact, which is a lost and the damned army, but built with IG premise in mind, its not vanilla LATD. They are pretty good in the Gaunt's ghosts books, but Ive never seen them on the table.

Id go with IG if you want IG style game, or hell, Id try to make a blood pact army, sons of sek, etc of the gaunt's ghosts fame, as they are very IG themed in their composition. The actual LATD I feel are not very likely to produce results on the table. I mean GW and WD had to practically FIX the game btwn the 13th legion space wolves and the LATD in a batrep 3 years ago for them to win!

I, however, am a servant of the emperor.. so Im biased.

Hope I helped.

#5 ·
I play LATD quite a bit and it is a VERY effective list. Imagine Basilisks laying down fire to support Khorne Berzerkers and a Bloodthirster, while corrupted Rough Riders run around mauling tanks, and infiltrating guard squads blast away with lascannons and plasma guns... yeah, it works. In my LATD army, I just bought the maruader sprue and mixed it with some cadians and catachans and got some creepy stuff, especially my sgt's and officers that now have flails as their close combat weapon :) just be careful though, because a maruader's chest is actually too beefy for catachan and cadian arms, so when you try and make the guardsmen holding their lasgun across their chest, it'll get really messed up.

As to your other questions, regular IG don't have great close combat units, but there are a decent selection of counter-assaults that can keep your cc minded enemies at bay. The jury's still out on Ogryns (there's about 1000 threads here fighting over it, I'm personally leery about them but some people swear by them), but Rough Riders, tooled up command squads, and hoards of conscripts backed up by a commissar aren't fun to fight against. (watching my friend's GK termies back away from the advancing line of conscripts so they don't get tied up in 5 turns of incoherent combat is hilarious to watch, especially when rapid firing maglites drop 2 of them) Alternatively, you could use Cypher in your IG army, and have a whole unit of Chaos Space Marines (presumably you can give them marks too) that can do your assaulting for you, especially if they're Khorne Berzerkers.... heh.

If you want chaos Imperial Guard, with close combat elements, your best bet is probably Lost and the Damned.

#6 ·
IG vs LatD, tough one..

I've played against both, and my thoughts are..

Leaders:

LatD have access to some great leadership.. Okay, they can't take a chaos lord. But for the role and scale of the army, an arch heretic or aspiring champions are well worth it.

These guys have access to the chaos armoury, probably the best armoury in the game, and can become terrifyingly nasty. Better still, they have ridiculously high leadership meaning that sticking an aspiring champion with the mark of chaos undivided in your mutant squad is liable to make them very difficult to break.

Guard leaders are not that inspiring, as things go. They are more about strategy than big shiny swords, though they can be quite surprising in that regard. Using vox caster upgrade, your commander can lend his considerable leadership to your entire army, and his command squad can be quite flexible in its equipment options. All in all, he has a powerful role in the army structure, and will hold it together, but isn't going to be taking down bloodthirsters any time soon.

Infantry:

LatD have a number of strategic options. Here are a few I can think of.

1. The mutie route! Large numbers of footslogging mutant infantry who charge across the board and hope some of them make it into close combat. My favourite!

2. The sneaky route. Lots of infiltrating traitors (always infiltrate traitors.. you're paying enough for the ability) who ambush the enemy with heavy weapons, or swamp them in CC (traitors are a good deal more flexible than their guard counterparts.)

3. The allied route.. Abseloutely min out your basic troops choices, then get lots of CSM allies to support them. I don't think it fits the style you're supposed to play with LatD myself, but nothing to stop you. You get access to some of the toughest troops in the game, and you should have a nice disposable meat shield to hide them behind. This alone is an extremely powerful combination.

4. A balance of the above. Probably the best, overall.

Guard are a lot more flexible due to their use of doctrines. There are a huge range of styles and army times, from infiltrators, to drop troops, to heavy infantry grenadiers, to mechanized infantry. It'd be silly to try and list them all here, but IG infantry generally revolves around the application of massed static firepower.. Lots of heavy weapons, lots and lots of troops to hide them amongst. The more troops, and the more heavy weapons, the better. Don't expect guard to charge into CC.. it can be done, but there are other armies who are far better at it.

Armour:

Now here's where it gets fun..

LatD are more based on infantry than armour, it's fair to say. But as has been mentioned, they get two of the most popular choices, the Leman Russ, and the Basilisk. They also get the defiler, which, although it looks cool, is generally considered inferior to the Basilisk. This armour is really just intended to support, I feel.. it will never be the thrust of your army.

On the other hand, armour in the IG list is very cool and important. It compensates for some of the biggest weaknesses guard have, such as their vulnerability to anti infantry weapons. They also get access to the demolisher, which is a very fun tank which helps to rectify the guard's weakness in offence. Tanks bring durability, flexibility and massive firepower to the otherwise all too human IG list.

This is a gross generalization, but I hope others agree with me that it's fairly accurate.

#7 ·
that's pretty much right, as I actually use both, I may be able to add to that.

An imperial Guard vox network means you could potentially have your whole army practically fearless. Meanwhile the Traitors, have a fairly skimpy leadership with no clever ways of boosting it, short of using aspiring champs, but then you can't infiltrate...

Almost all of the Guard's punch is perserved in the lost and the damned, including armor choices, rough riders, sentinels, and infantry. However, the LaTD don't inherit the sheer amounts of infantry that the guard use, and they also don't get access to the guard's allies. But fear not, the ability to take Chaos allies, and a Greater Daemon as your HQ thoroughly makes up for it. I consider it a fair trade, all in all.

Basically, the Guard are resiliant shooting, with a healty degree of variation. The Lost and the Damned can't shoot like the guard, nor are they as much the masters of attrition, but they've still got a real wide array of possible directions they can go, and generally are waaay better in CC then their loyalist counterparts.

Of the two, the Lost are a more "characterful" list, because so few people play them. And I love their play style.

#10 ·
In my opinion, lost and the damned is the most powerful list in the game. Period. I have a friend who is undefeated with his list, and that is with more than 30 games. Spawn are the best deal in the game.

#11 ·
Wow! Sick!
And to handle the mutant/human problem.. could i go with zombies?

And as a ironic thing.. how could i model my arch heretic to look like Shawn, from shawn of the dead :D!

Also, can i use a chaos lord?

Meh, Ill just make retarded mutants! Fun!

#12 ·
Narcotick said:
Wow! Sick!
And to handle the mutant/human problem.. could i go with zombies?

And as a ironic thing.. how could i model my arch heretic to look like Shawn, from shawn of the dead :D!

Also, can i use a chaos lord?

Meh, Ill just make retarded mutants! Fun!
You can use plague zombies as troops if it's a nurgle themed LATD list

You could get a catachan and put a wooden paddle in his hand :D

Yes, you can use a chaos lord, as an allied HQ choice, so feel free to bring along a Daemon Prince.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.