Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per title.

So far, I came up with a standard lasgun with elongated barrel and a sight taken from a missile team as a sniper rifle which looks pretty good, but I'm at a loss what kind of other cool conversions I can do. Suggestions from any corner of the world?

·
Drills baby.
6,481 Posts
For catachans: Give 'em scars and trophies, custom weapons, exotic wargear and so on.
For cadians: make their armour look war-torn and hammered. Also give them scars and custom and exotic weapons and wargear. Trophies are always good :)
I would also make them look ultra-hard. You know, like they can cary a autocannon and a missile launcher on the shoulders and run and fire.

·
Son of LO
2,160 Posts
I like doing things like taking heads from Empire, Chaos, Brettonian and even Elf sprues and swapping them out. You can find a whole pile of backpacks from somewhere (Forgeworld sells some nice upgrade sprues with backpacks) and put them on.

Also, go look at some old war photo's. It's amazing the things you'll notice. I started modeling my catachans with helmets and then I put bands around the helmets and I put things in the band like packs of cigarettes and pictures of loved ones. Also, you wouldn't believe how many soldiers carry towels around. In fact a towel is one of the most useful things and I have a few models modeled with them around their neck or tucked into their belts.

Just find a few small details like that, that a normal unit of brand new troops wouldn't have yet, and put them on the veterans.

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
One of the easiest things to do would be to give them camo facepaint.. They're elite infiltrators, after all. Among other things are cloaks, non standard uniforms, bits of their enemies (or trophies.. just because they can't use pulse rifles doesn't mean they can't be carrying one.) It all depends how confident you feel with the greenstuff.

Ultimately, if they look different from your normal troops, you're on the right track.

·
Bork! Bork! Bork!
416 Posts
MAke a guy that looks like he hasent shaved in a while smoking a HUGE cigar...hehe...:ninja:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yeah, scars on the face and arms, Bionic limbs, scruffy and unshaven faces, and trophy weapons - if they're hardened, thev'e probably pilfered and plundered some extra gear like stim packs, scopes, laser sights, exotic blades, etc.

Remeber too, hardened vets will have seen the grim reality of war on many occasions and as such will have attitudes to relfect it. While there is really no plastic to make "attitudes", you can reflect them in their posture, body language, and actions. Is a vet going to standup all the time, or use camo and concealment to his advantage? Will he fire his weapon one handed or take time to make every shot count (he may, if he's doing a heroic act like saving a comrade). A vet will be meticulous in the care of his gear - namely his rifle.

You get the idea. Good luck.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Even though it's an awful film, Arnold Schwarzenegger in Commando pretty much defines what I'd imagine a Veteran in the IG to look like. Bogged down with rations, trophies, and lots of camouflage paint. You could even look at the evil guy in Commando for inspiration- he's a psychopath who likes knives and hand to hand combat rather than using ranged weaponry.

·
646 Posts
As Hourglass said, I like to give them varied heads. Also, a little modification of their lasgun pose can go a very long way - see my veteran. I also like to make accessories for them out of green stuff, e.g. extra pouches, laspacks - that kind of thing. I also tend to get a fine detail prush and paint 2 chevrons on their shoulder pads so they outrank my basic guardsmen!

·
Registered
51 Posts
i think the best way to model veterans is to give them each their own characteristics; they are guys who have been fighting for a long time and their good at it, so each one would have his own style. Change their heads (any human or elf/eldar heads are usable for this), give them more (or less) pouches, alter their weapons (exotic bayonets, different ammo clips, scopes, silencers), and even give them different weapons (axes, swords, machetes, iv even got one guy that has his lasgun on his back, and has his hands full of grenades! and more strapped to his belt!) id also experiment with different torsos and arms (using mordheim empire parts) to give them a less 'standard' look..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts