Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first army, and my natural attraction to insects drew me to the Tyranid. Mostly i have been playing Harlequin, Space Wolves, and Tau. The biggest problem i have encountered is the 'nids lack of ability to deal with heavily armored troops (battle suits, terminators, etc.) and i have attempted to counter this by adding winged warriors with rending claws and scything talons to engage them in close combat early and prevent them from running away. Anyway i would greatly appreciate any advice you all can give me. Thanks!

HQ

Hive Tyrant
Basic 90
Venom Cannon 40
Implant Attack 8
Scything Talons 8
Catalyst 10
Warp Blast 20
Sub-Total 176

Tyrant Guard x2
Basic 45
x2
Sub-Total 90

Total 266

Troops
Hormagaunts x32
Basic 10
x32
Node Mutant 10
Sub-Total 330

Termagaunt Mutants x32
Basic 4
spinefists 1
x32
Node Mutant 10
Sub-Total 170

Genestealers x12
Basic 16
x12
Sub-Total 192

Total 692

Fast Attack

Warrior Mutants x9
Basic 42
x9
Sub-Total 378

Total 378

Heavy Support
Old One Eye

Basic 164

Total 164

Grand Total: 1500

·
850 Posts
Your 1500pt nid army looks great, however you might want to replce Old One Eye, so if your opponent doesn't want to pay w/ special character(s), you will have something else that can take its place. If want something that can deal w/ heavy armor units I suggest:
Carnifex 161pts
scythe talons
venom cannon
implant attack
extend carapace

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, you can play with Old One Eye without your opponents consent, because he isn't an independant character, he's a monstros creature. This usually means that I join him into the same squad as my Tyrant and my Tyrant Guard. This squad draws ALL the heavy fire, but since OOE can regenerate wounds, it's still suprisingly resiliant :D. I may do as you suggest anyway, because a Carnifex with a venom cannon could do some serious dammage at very long range (for 'nids anyway). Thanks for the comments.

·
850 Posts
Do you make a good point and also one of my friends is doing a nid army and instead of having OOE, he has something more vicious, THE SCYTHE HIERODULE! :) This is just an idea if you want a alternate army, but the only problem about the Hierodule is that he costs around the 120pts or more, but he can draw alot of firepower and if he ges in CC, then the opponent can kiss their squads goodbye. However, if you do get him, never fight against Nightbringer, I have seen the Hierodule die in three turns by NB,. while NB didn't suffer any wounds. Anyway, your army looks great and I hope your army wins many battles!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've been playing Nyds for awhile and I can honestly tell you that Carnifexes have lost their touch since they were "Screamer Killers" back in the day. I don't ever take Carnifexes any more. Plus, Gaunts of any variety are crap. Everyone plays something with a 3+ armour save now and although Gaunts get a fair amount of attacks, it's not guaranteed any kills like Rending Claws from Genestealers. You can never get enough of those!

I have an army solely based around rending claws and not much stands up against it. It's getting to the point where I don't want to play anymore it's that predictable for me. Give it a try, it'll work.

Also, get Raveners! Scything Talons and Rending Claws = 5 attacks on the charge EACH and dead on 6's! 6 Raveners = 30 attacks, that's a lot of chances to roll 6's!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol, I lost my codex last July so I couldn't tweek my list till now. If you're still interested heres what I think.

If I drop the warp blast off my tyrant, and drop the WS on my warriors down to 4 (seems sensible, since I only care about the sixes I roll) then that frees up enough points to make my second squad of gaunts scythegaunts instead of spinegaunts, which I think will help a lot with the new assault rules. It also leaves me with just enough points to give both my Tyrant and my Guard flesh hooks for impassable terrain, and assaulting guys in cover. Sound good?

·
Registered
474 Posts
i agree with the 2 sets of scything talons and wings, i wouldent if this was a 1000 point army, but in 1500 its worth it. i say you drop the warriors, yeah they have good WS, In and have wings, but their still warriors, they still have only 4 toughnes and a bad save. whenever i play against them with tau, they just end up taking 24 shots from fire warriors and dieing before they get to do anything. i would say, take them off and just buy more gaunts and get the winged tyrant

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've heard good things about winged Tyrants, but TBH I'm rather attached to my Guard. Guard are as tough as a monstrous creature, and seriously vicious mothers in CC.

If there's a rules forum, I should probably be posting this there, but does anyone know if I can delpoy my guard with my Tyrant, have my Tyrant seperate, and join them with a different monstrous creature (Old One Eye)?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.