Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a HT w/ the wings biomorph take two sets of scything talons; or do the wings take up that option?

·
Registered
953 Posts
They can have two sets of scything talons. This seems to be the most popular winged HT build. The HT must take two weapon symbiotes. Wings do not count as a weapon.

Mounting the wings is a completely different problem if that's what you're talking about. Many people use the GW dragon wings and mount them in an arm slot. They typically either add a scything talon to the wing arm or do a custom mounting job to mount all of them. Either way, you have to model the wings and both weapons somehow.

Another option is to simply buy the winged HT from Forge World.

·
Registered
670 Posts
A HT with wings can take any two weapons avaliable to it.
If you want to modle on two scything talons, put one set int he normal spot, and if you are using plastic dragon wings the best place to put the other pair IMO is where there is the claw thing about halfway along the wing. Below is a picture of mine, except that i pulled off the dev and put on another set of ST.

·
Registered
699 Posts
well i put them on the back of the hive tyrant, added some greenstuff and it looks great.
i think you should really think about what you are doing bacuse i dont think that solution looks good :S

·
Registered
953 Posts
I found a perfect set of wings, but they're not GW parts. I found a toy dragon at Toys 'R Us made by the guy who makes the Spawn series of characters. They are really detailed (much more so than GW parts) and only cost $10 as opposed to $12 (plus $7 for shipping) for the GW dragon wings. I bought the dragon, ripped off it's wings and threw the rest away.

My plan is (I have not completed the mod yet) to mount the wings on the shoulders of the upper scything talons as I don't like the look of such large talons on the wing claws. I don't see how the wings could provide lift with such large claws on the arms but that's only my personal opinion. I'll post a photo when I finish the mod. This thread just gave me the reason to do it sooner.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LordCreampuff said:
I'll post a photo when I finish the mod. This thread just gave me the reason to do it sooner.

I'm glad I could be your inspiration LordCreampuff. :yes:

·
Registered
953 Posts
I haven't finished it yet. I tend to lose inspiration as quickly as I get it. ;)

·
529 Posts
Annoyingly enough, the wings on the Forgeworld winged tyrant (and the wings for warriors) take up arm slots without necessarily showing them as equivalent to say, STs.

For my winged warriors (wings, RC, ST) I've bodged up some conversions in which the legs are replaced by surplus Macragge 'stealer rending claws and the middle sockets carry the STs. The shoulder sockets carry the wings. I'll put up some pics when they're complete.

For the winged HT, tho, I'm reluctant to mux with the beauty that is the FW precioussss, so I might have to rely on my opponents' forebearance in letting me run the wings as ST equivalents - Kerrigan style, or maybe Markus from Underworld II.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Best thing to do honestly is to find an older 3rd ed. HT and it will have the Wings included. People on Ebay are selling them all the time.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I believe it was in one of the Imperial Armours where it says that the wings double as Scything Talons. . .

·
Registered
410 Posts
Ostsol said:
I believe it was in one of the Imperial Armours where it says that the wings double as Scything Talons. . .
That would be overriden IMO by the newest Codex. The Tyranid Codex mentions nothing about wings also being scything talons in the Winged Biomorth section, and nothing in the Scything Talon section to suggest wings are.

Additionally, Gargoyles have wings by default and there's nothing mentioned of extra attacks.

But if that were the case, you could have some nasty nids. Giving a warrior wings, another set of scything talons, and a rending claw, and you have 5 rending attacks on the charge. OUCH.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Well, it was a model-specific thing. Basically, by using those rules you would count the Tyrant as "Forgeworld Tyrant" in the same manner as other non-codex units from Forgeworld are treated. Of course, it is true that those rules are now out of date.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Laplace said:
Best thing to do honestly is to find an older 3rd ed. HT and it will have the Wings included. People on Ebay are selling them all the time.

I'm sorry, but I am unable to find this on GW or Ebay, could you please provider a link?

·
Registered
453 Posts
There's one thing a lot of people forget when they mount wings on their Tyrants, and warriors for that matter.

All tyranid organisms have 6 limbs, no more, no less, from the hulking biotitans to the lowliest rippers, and when you mount the wings on the back, put on 4 scything talon arms and keep the legs, you're breaking the fluff and the concept of the designers.

Personally I love the 6 limbs thing, it ties the whole tyranid range together, which is quite a feat given the diversity of the different creatures.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Zerling said:
Mavus,

How do you transport you HT safely?
Umm, by either caring it or in a box with my carni and keeping it very still!!! I'm planning on making a wooden box out of 3 ply and foam when all my MC are done so they can be transported happily.

·
Registered
347 Posts
heres one that people use. Get a flying base and put the wings in the legs slot or one or the other! eather way its cool.(saw it on warriorsXD)

·
Registered
953 Posts
Gorbass said:
There's one thing a lot of people forget when they mount wings on their Tyrants, and warriors for that matter.

All tyranid organisms have 6 limbs, no more, no less, from the hulking biotitans to the lowliest rippers, and when you mount the wings on the back, put on 4 scything talon arms and keep the legs, you're breaking the fluff and the concept of the designers.

Personally I love the 6 limbs thing, it ties the whole tyranid range together, which is quite a feat given the diversity of the different creatures.
Ha! The biovore only have four limbs. I also don't see rippers with six arms but the photos on the GW site are really small.
I was really bummed when I read your post as I have decided to mount my HT wings on the shoulders thus having 2 legs, 4 scything talons, and 2 wings. Now that I know I haven't blown the 6-leg thing I feel better. I don't like the look of scything talons on the wing arms as it makes the model look like it's unable to fly. I'm mounting my wings directly behing the two arm shoulder joints so I'll fashion a third shoulder for each wing.
I guess it really doesn't matter fluff-wise as I guess the mutation that gave the HT wings could be different between armies. I have even seen conversions where people created more of a jetpack for their HT instead of wings.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LordCreampuff said:
Ha! The biovore only have four limbs. I also don't see rippers with six arms but the photos on the GW site are really small.

As a correction, Biovores in fact do have 6 limbs not 4. Rippers also have 6 limbs and not 4.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts