Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going into a pretty unique event at my local store. It will be a mega battle in which each player is allowed to bring a data sheet of there own design. I want to create a land speeder squadron designed to be transports, similar to hueys in Vietnam. I was thinking of just extending this open area off the back with door gunners. Do you have any idea cause im trying to brainstorm right now and figure out what to do exactly.

Anything just trying to get some ideas.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I like that Eagle idea. You could try to have some models in the back manning heavy bolters. That could look cool, and it'd be kind of neat to have support gunners that would give covering fire to embarking/disembarking troops.

The only thing is, is if the vehicle would be open-topped like that, you should try and figure something out like maybe a glancing hit or something has a chance of wounding a model on the transport. But on the flip side, a couple models should be able to shoot from the Speeder.

I think this is a very cool idea, and in my opinion, hovercraft/Land Speeders seem to be much more plausable ideas for a troop carrier than a treaded, metal coffin.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've been wanting to do something like this for ages with a land speeder, as I'm slowly building up a (display - before someone throws a codex at me) force of modified Ravenwing land speeders, but I've never quite got a solid enough idea (or the confidence!) to warrant chopping up a land speeder kit!

The initial idea I was brooding on for a while was to stretch a land speeder in order to use it as a tactical transport (which is a conversion I've seen attempted a couple of times before), this would simply involve extending the land speeder (as in the link above) and leaving enough room to fit a 5 man+ squad on there. Additionally you could add a heavy bolter gunner (or two) to act as "door gunners" in the same way as Vietnam-era Hueys. The problem is that to do that I think the land speeder would look a ridiculous length and is no longer realistic. I mean you'd have to drop the movement distance for such a vastly bigger speeder and, thinking about it, all you're doing is lining up your marines, high in sky, for all and sundry to shoot at them.

My more recent idea (and one I think is a lot more practical - and that I would attempt if I felt I could do it justice), is to slightly stretch the land speeder to accomodate a "light" load: specifically Space Marine scouts (2 -4) armed with sniper rifles, sitting in the rear section. In this way you'd still have a relatively small speeder unit (so you could argue there'd be neglible reductions in movement) that could quickly move to any location on the map and pick off specific targets - but at a range that wouldn't be putting the lighly armed speeder directly in harms way.

If you modded a land speeder Tornado in such a way you could opt for either an assualt cannon fit - which would give you a fearsome anti infantry capability, or a multi melta and go for an anti tank/anti command skimmer. Though you might say that, in gaming terms, using the land speeder Tornado is perhaps a little OTT, and that simply converting a regular land speeder would be a little fairer.

If you need inspiration then I'd recommend a watch of Black Hawk Down; you can see some good examples of using (modern) helicopters as aerial gunnery platforms in that - for example MH-6 Little Birds for fast insertion and MH-60's as aerial sniper platforms - and it may inspire you as it (sort of) has me!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks that great thats pretty ch wahst i was looking for its a little long for what Im thinking but it seems to work maybe using one/ one and a half of those large pannels in the center I was also thinking of setting up some kind of a cover fo the first half closest to the cockpit so that you wouldnt have to model an interior.

we are writing up an entire datasheet and according to the guy running it im allowed to create a whole formation for it s Im thinking maybe it will be a Specially trained squad of scouts or marines armed specially with all types of cool equpment. I was thinking of mabe creating some rules for a gas weapons mounted on this thing like some type of nerve gas holding smoke launchers mounted on the bottom. Huzzah creative liscence

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was giving this some more thought last night, and was thinking that if you just wanted to use the speeder as a fast troop insertion/scout sniper you could almost directly model it off a MH-6 Little Bird by adding the troop carrying benches to the side of the speeder. Heres a couple of snaps of the helicopter:

http://www.globalspecialoperations.com/photo360/littlebirdsnipers360.jpg

http://images.janes.com/defence/land_forces/gallery/fortbragg/images/29a6.jpg
(sorry, not great pictures, but its a hard aircraft to find pictures of and I'm sure you get the general idea)

You have the little hatches on either side of the speeder (where the Typhoon rocket pods are mounted), so you could start the "bench" there and run it along the side of the speeder. You may need to modify the rear horizontal stabilizer to accomodate this though.

As I said before this would require some skill to model though, as in order to get the right look I think you'd have to reposition the scouts so they were sitting (rather than standing) on the benches.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats sickman love the Idea Ive got some plans Im drawing up. Ill Completete them when I get my speeder kit in the mail next week. Right now Im thinking that were there are those doors on the side ill extend the ship a little bit make the door taller and wider and place some platforms and handrails along the sides.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.