Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides numbers what do you think mankind's strengths are (fluff wise). What allowed us to spread across the stars. What allowed us to create the largest galactic empire seen. What keeps us going.

I know numbers is a big part of the answer, but that one is kind of easy.

Examples:faith, determination,ingenuity (not sure of spelling)

Give it a shot:)

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Fecundity. The only rival we have in that regard is the orks.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I think actually that in Warhammer we have lost our greatest strength: that of innovation. Humanity always finds a way to survive and adapt to its new surroundings. Personally I don't believe the scenario in 40K is realistic in the way humanity views science, there would always be a few who would try new things.

But also there's our refusal to give up, this could be because I come from a nation famed for its refusal to surrender, ever, but I think that a lot of humanity's strength comes from our sheer bloody minded refusal to die.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Salus said:
Examples:faith, determination,ingenuity (not sure of spelling)
well, you spelled everything right! other than that, we are hard headed.(determined)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well most of the main things have been mention, but there is also our instinctive sense of pride.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the posts guys keep them coming!

I posted this because i got to thinking. Compared to every other race REGULAR humans are pretty bland. We aren't fast, strong, or tough. And yet we were still able to carve out a mighty empire. Pretty impressive to me.

Heres another strength possibly: Psychers, humans seem to have a large psychic potental. Am I correct or am I just grabbing at the wind here.

Any ways keep the posts coming!:)

·
ISIS Secret Agent Squishy
1,875 Posts
you'd be surprised how effective bland can be in subjegating others. If a stranger is surrounded by people of a singleminded blandness, then it wears them down to that same level. You cannon defeat the unchanging, uniform morass that is humanity.

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
The will of beings far greater in magnitude than themselves.

The Imperium only really gained a large ammount of ground during the crusade, and immediately after the Horus Heresy when the primachs were still kicking about. Everything since then has been about defending, making small gains, losing small gains, and regaining them again.

Ultimately, in 40k, humanity isn't really human any more. It's dependent on it's corpse god and his army of speedo wearing supermen.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Humanity also has the greatest potential for psychic power and used to have the most advanced technology and their tech is still pretty advanced. When the rediscover more STC's they get better. Also, humans are still inovating, just not as much.

·
Registered
309 Posts
About STC's: it's actually printouts that they find; it has been stated repeatedly that were the Imperium to find a fully functional STC system they would sweep the other factions into history's garbage bin within a space of years. There's some seriously ace technology in those things.

·
706 Posts
thats an interesting idea. i knew that STC's had some mondo stuff, but i didnt know there was anything THAT important in them. what would be an example of what could revolutionize the imperium? as for what humans have, well, we have tenacity, and more importantly, we had the emperor and space marines. without the emperor and space marines, i believe humanity would have been taken long ago. also, on the psyker thing, actually the good ol' orks are the most psychic race in 40k, each and every ork is at least slightly psychic, thats what makes their stuff go after all. so humans dont have the psychic thing down...

·
LO's unofficial Jester
2,900 Posts
STC stands for Standard Template Construct (as I am sure you are all aware) Monkey King is quite right in highlighting their importance. Originally Humanity used them to create anything they needed to survive using the materials found on the world from Bunkers to heavy goods transports to guns. The Imperium so far has merely found the actual designs for certain constructs why do you think so many Imperial vehicles look so similar (Razor Back Rhino Predator all have the same chassis etc).

One of the characters in Inquisitor rule book (the techpriest) is looking for (I think its called the Omniexcyclopedia) a program which has all the STC's on it or in other words the original STC.

another factor that have allowed humanity to survive is the ability to change our emotions very quickly when there is peace we can adapt to it but when there is war we become as ruthless as any other species encountered.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yeh, its all pretty much about survival, the pure instinct not to die...Blood of millions keeps the enemies of the Imperium at bay. But without the STC findings they wouldnt have that means to defend themselves.
Psykers are important i think, because they are the lving vision of what the Emperor saw, a perfect human race.
But yeh, it all comes down to basic survial of the human race. Those mighty defenders such as the Space Marines and IG defend an empire that is ultimatly dying, but fluff wise, the emperor will return before that happens.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I agree with many of the views above but id also like to point out that humanity is potentially the most powerful psychic race ever: i mean true humans are not the most psychic race as of now (personally id put that to the eldar i mean every single eldar is pretty psychic, think eldar dont even talk all that much they input thoughts directly into the minds of others and use them for many other tasks plus in the "path of the eldar" all eldar who havent delved exclusivly into one aspect switch from one aspect to another including the seer council which see into the past, future, etc...) at one point it is hypothesized that all humans will be far superior to even the most skilled Space Marine librarians.

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
This is true, due to how the old ones created humanity, we have the ability to eventually become master psykers.

As said we have better control over our emotions than say the eldar, who get so absorbed with tasks they can become oblivious to anything else.

While other races can commit acts of cruelty (namely the dark eldar) it humaity's ability to be so violent and indiscriminate that we end up more savage than any other species when survival is an issue.

We are reasonably intelligent, reproduce at a sensible rate and can learn quckly, we have every trait needed to dominate the galaxy. Its only the fact that because of all the species the old one created during the war in the heaven (which upset the balance of the warp) that humanity suffered the collapse at the end of the dark age of technology (I think).

Otherwise by now we would be the most powerful pyskers and no area of the galaxy would be unkown.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I didnt think that the old ones created us. I thought we were one of the random factors after the war with the C'tan. I thought the eldar let us survive on account of how little life there was left in the Galaxy at the time.

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
The old ones did create us. If you read the fluff on how they created the eldar to fight the c'tan, the old one waited millenia while the eldar evolved to a point where thay could fight.

The war in the heaven was a conflict on a scale never seen before, not just for the destruction but the duration, the necrontyr spent millenia trying to contact the c'tan (and before that millenia fighting the old ones- even though they lost terribly).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts