Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motor vehicle Automotive design Office equipment Material property Office supplies Motor vehicle Bumper Office equipment Gas Automotive design Audio equipment Gas Machine Auto part Camera accessory Automotive lighting Kitchen utensil Audio equipment Gas Kitchen

Hey guys! I got back into 40k the other week and saw that they still have not released a plastic kit for a Hydra. Took matters into my own hands and whipped this up with some plasticard and some spare bits. I used the quad mount from the aegis defense line for the main gun. What do you think?

·
Rushing Jaws
1,541 Posts
That's looking pretty good. I suppose it always helps to have the right bits in.

I can't help but feel the turret looks a little small, but that's probably because I'm used to looking at the Forgeworld Hydra, and it has an enormous turret.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Looks really good, Ancalagon's comment about its small size is a fair point but it is 'WYSIWYG' as far as using it goes.

I would explain it away as a field conversion or a lighter version that does recon or any operations that are more than air defence. (if I ever decide to field a Hydra will follow your idea for sure).

My Armoured Regiment has a Thunderer made with a Leman Russ main body and tracks, scratch built top hatch where turret should be and the demolisher cannon from a Marine vindicator.

Not every vehicle in an active warzone is going to look like it has just rolled of a production line.
Its little things such as your turret that add unique character to an army.

If and When GW ever release the new vehicles in the codex as plastic there is a chance it will be different from its Imperial Armour counterpart, the original Manticore has the same turret base as the Hydra where as the plastic has them lined up on top.
The vehicle I'm hanging on for is the Griffon. A sprue or two with parts to make Basilisk, Medusa and Griffon armoured instead of open-topped would be fantastic and highly unlikely release.

When you got your Hydra painted please can you post more pics ?

Cheers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I'm gonna post up some pics as soon as I finish up painting it. its funny, I thought the same thing about the size of the flack turret too at first, but when you compare what a real anti air tank looks like to the FW model, it makes the FW model look kinda silly.

·
517 Posts
I wouldn't fret about the size. You could make the barrels longer with a really simple addition of plastic tubing but 40k guns are way over sized anyway. The autocannon is about the right size for what a Leman Russ Battle Cannon should be if it were accurately modeled.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Nice conversion, I was thinking of doing something similar for my own guard army. Just a couple of suggestions though.

1) Perhaps leave the extra armour bits at the side off if this is based on an older kit. If its a new one then it wouldn't be possible, but it would help to balance the tank a bit more.

2) Have a couple of guardsmen manning the gun, making it look more like a real life AA-gun.

Nice job :)

·
Rushing Jaws
1,541 Posts
I wouldn't fret about the size. You could make the barrels longer with a really simple addition of plastic tubing but 40k guns are way over sized anyway. The autocannon is about the right size for what a Leman Russ Battle Cannon should be if it were accurately modeled.
Yeah, that enormous gun calibre is something that really annoys me about the Russ. I mean, I don't mind guns being a little oversized, but that's just ridiculous! With rounds that size, you could maybe fit three in the tank...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yeah, that enormous gun calibre is something that really annoys me about the Russ. I mean, I don't mind guns being a little oversized, but that's just ridiculous! With rounds that size, you could maybe fit three in the tank...
Indeed, same goes for transports too. To carry 10 space marines the inside of a Rhino it must be like the Tardis! A full tactical squad with weapons and ammo must be able to do a really good impression of a tin of sardines. I know its not real and it is just a representation but its still funny.

Although Forge World did a good job with the Krieg Gorgon and Elysian Valkyrie passengers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts