Librarium Online Forums banner

I can't decide. ;_;

972 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  TornadoCreator 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I need some opinions.

With the new Lizardmen book coming out it has me thinking about picking them up and starting them. I enjoy their look and their fluff is alright.

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]But the thing is I've already gotten a bit of a dwarf army going though so I'm almost set in that. My dilemma is that I love the dwarf aesthetic and the fluff. But I'm not a fan of just sitting back and gun lining all day er day. I want to be able to actually move forward and vary my way of playing while still being relatively competative.Where as with the Lizards a lot of what I've read boils down to beat people with magic. But there's diverse enough lists that I can actually drop a slann if I felt like it and actually try some other units rather than war machines and infantry.[/FONT]

Just wondered what peoples thoughts were on this. Maybe a run down on the pros cons? I dunno. I can't decide and it's driving me nuts.

#2 ·
Well, Dwarfs aren't going anywhere. They're not getting a new book any time soon, but they're not going to suddenly disappear or never be updated ever again. They're supposed to be an early army for 9th edition, from what I've heard, which puts them about a year out from us.

In terms of the new Lizards.... I don't really know. I've got loads of experience with the Lizardmen, but I don't know what the new book is going to push. Yes, they have varied lists and options, lots of new monsters, some new units, and apparently a new shift to give Scar Vets Carnosaurs (yikes). However, I can't say for certain that any of that will actually be viable. Their new book could come out and be horrible. Or it could favor "monster mash" lists almost exclusively, and force you into just that single play style.

Historically, Lizardmen have been like "Dwarfs that move". They're not fast, they're stubborn as hell and hard to shift, and they're pretty well armored (Saurus at least). While they do play the magic game, they don't necessarily have to sit still and "gunline" the opponent. They can move forward and get into close combat.

My suggestion would be to hold off until the LM book officially drops, and we can figure out what the list is going to look like. In the meanwhile, don't sell your Dwarves - if you like the way they look, and like their fluff and ideas, it would be worth it to hold on to them until they get a new book. I have a feeling that they're in for a pretty serious overhaul, and they're going to be a lot of fun when they get released. It's just a matter of patience - the hallmark of Dwarven virtues.

#3 ·
Go for the Lizards!

a fresh book and good looking models, can't go wrong with that.
And the Dwarfs will get an update sometime and when they will, then that is a good oppertunity to start playing them again :p

#4 ·
My suggestion honestly. Go for it with the Lizardmen.

I guarantee with a new book coming out there will be plenty of things to try and plenty of ways to play the game. Being competitive is less about having the right units, and more about knowing how to use them. There's no such thing as a bad army, only bad players. The only think Lizardmen really lack from what I can see is artillery. They have decent infantry, they have ranged troops, they have strong magic, they have decent monsters, they have flying troops... that alone gives you enough information to know they could try many different tactics.

The most important thing really is whether you like them aesthetically, and whether you would enjoy collecting them. You'll likely spend far more time constructing and painting than actually playing and I know I get more enjoyment out of the fluff and hobbyist sides of this hobby than I do playing the game as there's far too much chance involved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.