Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get back into Warhammer 40k and I'm having a terrible time trying to pick an army to roll with. There are so many things to consider and this will likely be the biggest choice I make. So here I am, asking for advice. I'll toss out my top picks, what I like and don't like, and see if anyone here can convince me towards one army or another.

The Imperial Guard.

I played them eight years ago and loved them. I love the addition of orders and it seems like there are quite a few new options. I'm also a big fan of the models. However, I have something telling me to try something new and I've always hated the lack of decent fast options in the IG.

Dark Eldar.

They look awesome and I love the raiders and ravagers. They have all the fast attack I missed out on playing a static guard army. They however appear to need a kind of all-in strategy to be successful and the frailty of most of their units scares me. I feel like they'd be easy to mess up and won't warrant too many unique strategies.

Tau.

I like everything about the tau except for one glaring thing. Their vehicles. They are just so big and bulky, I just don't even want them in my army. But I feel like I'd need them to be competitive. Or find a competitive battle suit army. Me not getting transports would get me wrecked by cc and I'm not crazy about the kroot as a fill in.

Tyranids and Orkz.

Look awesome and have tons of really cool options. I feel like I don't know enough about them though. I also am worried about the singular strategy of rushing everything forward into cc. I like to have more options than that. Also not crazy about tons and tons of units.

Space Marines and the like are just not going to happen. They look awesome but I want to field more units than what their unit costs will allow. I prefer a medium sized army. Eldar I've never really been that interested in.

So, there we have it. I'm looking for a good competitive race that can field a good medium sized army with plenty of strategic and tactical options that look cool to boot. If you have anything to say in favor of a specific army I'd love to hear it! I know it all comes down to personal preference but I just can't choose!

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Sounds like you might want Orks. Not only is it a new codex, so you don't have to worry about having to update in 6 months, but Orks are actually a lot more varied in how you can play them.

For example, you say that you don't like the idea of having to rush into melee. No need to, some of the Orks' strongest units are ranged: Lootas, Flash Gitz, Mek Gunz, Big Meks with Shokk Attack Gunz. Also, a lot of their shooting weapons, such as Rokkits, are Assault weapons, so you can move, shoot, then charge if you'd like. Not to mention that a Battlewagon full of 20 Shoota Boyz or Burna Boyz will gun down most enemy units they come into range of.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Not a lot ruled out then. But, just to throw in another option, you don't mention CSM. You get the Marine look that you like (unless you don't like spikes), plus Cultists gets you a slightly larger army along with something approximating your earlier Imperial Guard. So that might be an option to consider.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I didn't mention them it means I'm not considering them. So that includes CSM, grey knights, necrons, etc.

Interesting about the orks, I'll have to give them another good look.

I'll admit the Dark Eldar are probably my top choice at the current moment although it switches often. Can anyone give me a good idea about how a Dark Eldar army plays?

·
1,249 Posts
Dark eldar are one of two things right now, vehicle spam or beast star with eldar allies. But they are likely to get a new codex by the end of the year.

The NOVA open had a battle suit heavy Tau army in 5 th place, no vehicles necessary.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Pick something totally different than your other army. I started with Nids in 2nd and came back in 4th with Tau. So different and makes it so you don't get too bored. From them, since I lost my Nids during a move, I went to Orks. They are my favorite army that I play now. Everything about them is great. I like to write fluff about them, build/convert them, and play them. I do pretty well running my speed freaks list but I've made most units so I can do just about whatever I want.

I've only ever played against DE once but I think they'd be a good choice too. Their models are cool looking and they are very fast.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of the replies! I am very seriously considering Orkz now. Their fluff and models both seem fun to work with and they seem to have plenty of options to mix it up with. My only question left for them is, are they competitive?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Depends if you want to be a purist or not. I don't see straight Orks winning a grand tournament but with allies you can make up for their lack of copy/paste netlists winning. It also gives you the opportunity to do some awesome conversions. I started building Fish'ead a Shas'O who is really a big mek that looted an XV8. I've already got a squad of grot fire warriors and I'm planning on making some missile broadsides too. I could never just use my Tau army alongside my Orks but with looted Tau gear that ally fits with my Orks. There is nothing stopping you there. I plan on getting a knight Titan someday and Orking it up too.

Orks are not an easy win button army like some others but with so many kinds of builds it is possible to be competitive, just depends on the level you are looking for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts