Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok
A while ago at my local GW, myself and another person were playing a friendly game against each other, when all of a sudden a guy and like 4-5 girls just came in and started laughing at us all for playing it, and laughing at everything, mocking us pretty much. Anyway we just kept on playing, ignoring them, and then they came over to us and started mocking US!! "oh tough desicion" 'gotta make a move soon" and stuff like that, i felt like punching them in the face, i don't care if their chicks or not. They say WE don't have a life and stuff, when THEIR the ones that come into the store and MOCK us, aren't they supposed to have the life??

·
Registered
788 Posts
Why not challenge their intellect and get them to chase a tire on a moving car...:shifty:

Clearly they are dumb so make use of witty comments to make them feel bad in turn... or you could resolve it peacefully and go to the manager as I said before.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Ahh, reminds me of my store. there are the occasional ****heads who walk along and bag us out. It just makes you realise how stupid some people really are. You cant do anything for them, either. Just smile and wave nicely when there 30 and working at macdonalds.

·
Registered
77 Posts
its a shame to say this but i interesting to no it happens in other countrys as well i have never actually experianced i am a big guy so the losers who tend to do this dont seem to bother when they see some one like me in the store (im not saying i am all that, just enough of a deterent)but when i do visit my store i have often been told of incedents with these sorts of losers.

the only thing i could say is that if you feel under physical threat or are recieving serious verbal abuse or threatening behavour you could either phone the police or ask the store to tighten up security. failing that get a card board cut out of someone who looks tough(only joking).

good luck

·
Registered
206 Posts
I am, unfortunently, one of the ones that cop it aswell. Well not as much anymore. Going through High-School i was ripped on pretty heavyly for it, but i stuck with it, and eventully got the whole ball rolling at my school, which lead to a large group of people acculy becoming interested AND starting to play the game themselves!

Now days even, i get ripped on from my mates for it, but not seriously. They give me some crap about it everynow and then, just as a joke, but its not as seroius as it use to be. When they use to rip on me even more, i would always have something to say back to them, to shut them up.

As far as being jeered at in stores, its alittle different. You cant just let yourself loose and start mouthing off back to them, because that could quite possibly get you kicked outta the store aswell. Sometimes it better to say nothing at all....unless it becomes to serious or unbareable, then its best to see someone in charge of the store about it. Im suprised that a staff memeber didnt see this tho?

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
I hate that so much, at school me and a few mate ran a little club, that was bad then, people sometimes didn't know when to be quiet for their own good.

Unfortunately at a store there isn't much you can do other than get the manager or something. The nicest thing is to know that you are superior to them- if they have nothing better to do than annoy you then they need to re-address their life, while you on the other hand have a hobby that is constructive.

Don't forget that wargaming is as old as the hills, military tacticians play wargames to hone their skills, you are doing the same except for fun.

A cheeky thing to do is if you can say something that has lots of long words in it and sounds educated, it will normally make most people stop to think about, that will surely make them lose interest if they don't know what you said.

Sorry for the rant, people like that really get on my nerves as well (must..resist..urge..to..kill)

·
Registered
355 Posts
I say just kick the sh*t out of the guy. If they want to act like that then they get what they deserve. It sounds like there were at least two of you gaming. Against one metro and his f*ghags it would be a quick and decisive victory. I can't believe that the store employees/magager didn't kick them out at the beginning.

Reactions: mist-man

·
I Endure
660 Posts
A cheeky thing to do is if you can say something that has lots of long words in it and sounds educated, it will normally make most people stop to think about, that will surely make them lose interest if they don't know what you said.
I don't know about your experiences, but that has never worked for me, just make "oooh" noises and call you gay. I hate to say it, but people suck, and the shock of a sound beating from a "nerd" is probably the only way to stop the problem permanently.

·
Son of LO
2,160 Posts
Ok, let me make a few suggestions:

I'm not sure if this applies to you, but one thing that a lot of gamers do that make them targets has to do with their appearance and dress. If you go around with dog collars and Marylin Manson Tshirts on, then yeah, you're gonna take some crap for it. If you're like one of my good friends and the only jacket you own has some anime character on it, and every shirt you own is a dragonball z shirt, then yeah, you are gonna take some **** for it.

One thing that will really change most of those kid's mindsets, is if they see someone in the store that has the dress and appearance of an adult or at least a mature and responsible individual. I don't know how many game stores that I have gone into and immediately wished that I hadn't because the place looked like a clown show.

If that doesn't apply to you at all, then there's something else you can do. Instead of getting mad at them and ignoring them, you should engage them in conversation and be friendly. Put a big friendly smile on your face and ask them if they want to borrow some models from the store and learn how to play. See, what you are doing then, is you are reminding them that they have an inadequacy in their life because they don't know HOW to play and you do. Most children, once they realize that they cannot make you angry, will just leave. Either that, or their attitude will change entirely and they might just accept the offer to play, since you seem like a friendly and mature person.

Only an immature person responds to people like that with anger and frustrastion, because that's exactly what they want you to do, and if you do it, then they win. If you are a mature individual and you have treated them with patience, then the last thing you can do is politely ask the manager to remove them from the store.

Lastly, don't ever feel like less of a person because of your hobby. Rumor has it that Robin Williams has a large 40k army and people don't make fun of him, now do they? :)

·
LO's unofficial Jester
2,900 Posts
If they are being sarcastic at you playing take every thing they say litterally. Example: Annoying Onlooker (AO): ooh tough tough decision, you don't want to do that.

You: Hmm I am not sure I agree the Khorne bezerkers have a high weapon skill I think they could win in combat.

AO: So does this represent you (picking up marine model)

You: No thats a Choas space marine Lord , he is the equivelent of the King in chess.

After a while it will be obvious that you aren't botherd by there presence they will either leave or do something more drastic handeling the figures roughly etc at which point without resorting to anger politely ask them to leave, their actions aren't dignified and your response in entirly appropriate.

Don't explain the background (unless they genuinly seem interested) only the rules, don't get annoyed.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Its not a rumour that Robin Williams plays, its true. One Manager played him like a few years ago, and he still buys/ collects stuff.

And on the fact of those loser i got a great story, one of thoes storys that "you had to be their"

It was veteran night and this girl kept walking by the store and yelling NERDS! And everytime she passed she would say it again.

On the third time she was like

"NERRRRRDS!!"

and the manager yelled

"HEY, YOU'R FAT!" :w00t:

and the girls face was like in utter horror and shock! (she was one of thoes relly fat girls who wears yoga pants and the fat rolls over) (EWW!)

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
Many, many painful memories..

Heck, I'm angry for you now!

I can't offer much advice.. But I don't think you can beat people like that intellectually. If you use long words, or insult their intelligence, they're just going to laugh because it doesn't matter to them, and besides, you're playing up to a stereotype. The way to beat them is at something they value, like social skills. (Or beating them senseless, but that's more risky and can get you into trouble.)

Heck, if you're that way inclined, talk to the girls. You'll probably find they're incredibly shallow, stupid little creatures, but for this very reason they're probably very weak and dependent on the guy to provide the 'mockery' for them. They're unlikely to make much of an effort to insult you themselves, and you talking to them reduces the security the guy is getting from them. Don't try and chat them up though, that's typical 'geek' behaviour, and they will lap it up.

I can tell you what not to do though.

Don't self-depreciate, or try to 'play along.' You aren't a performing monkey, so don't act like one. This includes body language.. confidence matters.

Don't act like a stereotype.. Even if you act, look or talk like a stereotype for most of the time, avoid it as much as possible during moments like that. Don't try and explain the rules, let alone the fluff.. The stereotype is what they're there for, it's funny to them, sick as that is.. Avoid it, and you reduce their fun.

Hourglass is right about dress too.. In a perfect world you shouldn't feel you have to change your style, but it helps believe me. Try wearing something atypical when you're playing in public, and use contacts rather than glasses if you're unfortunate enough to share my curse of bad eyesight. If you're well groomed, well dressed and smell good, then the worst someone can do is claim you're gay, which is a pretty hollow insult, because it's only going to offend you if it's not actually true. Believe me, because I spent many years wandering around with long, greasy hair wearing MM shirts, taking care over your appearance can do abseloute wonders for your confidence and happiness.. Even if you have to cut down on minis for a few months to buy a few nice clothes, it will be worth it (and your painting will improve because you'll be taking more time over things!)

Never forget, also, that inside each one of those kinds of guys, no matter how confident they may appear, is a stunted little child who needs to proove himself by lashing out at people like you. You're right about the 'life' thing, the very fact he feels the need to come to your store and do that is laughable and pathetic, and you should take it as a sign that he's weak and probably not very confident. Just ask yourself whether he'd have the nerve to do that to you without his support network/harem, or if you'd had other friends with you. I'd be very surprised if the answer is yes.

To summarise, the way to beat guys like this, I think, is to be exactly what they don't expect you to be. They expect you to be socially inept, easily pushed around, badly dressed, over intelligent and physically weak. Demonstrate you're not in some way, and you deprive them of their fun.

Very few people who know me know I do miniatures.. For those who do, I tell them I got into it as a kid and kept going mostly for the art side of it, which is true, but would make a good excuse for you gaming types as well. People are often more willing to accept the artistic merit of it than the idea of gaming as a hobby.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Lord Malachis post was awesome.

But seriously, I can't believe this story because I have never seen girls in a GW store. I didn't know they were allowed in.

·
Registered
248 Posts
OK, i have a lot of experiance with dealing with chavs, in and out of the model store, and i have found that the best thing to do is cuss them back.

yep, stoop to their level. It generally scares them when the nerds start to call them gay ****ing pieces of **** that suck donkey ****.

And if you are over 17, make sure that you do this before the little kids get involved...there is nothing worse than being 11 and having smelly 14 year olds insulting you and touching your stuff.

Store managers and store guys generally don't like chavs annoying their customers and normally pressure the guys to leave.

and it is very very very unlikely that they will start to get violent, but you generally don't want to get too agressive towards them, becuase they will take any excuse to kick arse, and grab it and rip it to shreds.

oh, and if they push you over, or even touch you, threaten to call the police.

or just call the police..!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Some good advice has already been given ... but all I can say is this - keep calm and don't lash out because they are bound to take it out on your models! and we don't want that do we? Luckily for me, my GW manager doesn't take no **** and is happy to tell people to leave which is cool (it also helps he is a big guy)

Generally, at school, I just joke around when people take the mickey out of WH and join in calling my self a geek and stuff it normally works and people change the subject pretty quick ... but my ex-gf did seem to find it funny that I played WH prolly one of the reasons we split! jk

As other people have said, appearance really does affect what people say about you! I'm not calling you a scruff or tramp or anything here but is normally best to wear pretty average clothes when playing in your local shop even if it is against your will!

Good luck with the ****heads,
paranoid

1 - 20 of 117 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.