Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this hobby but am looking to build a 1000 or 1500 point Raven Guard army. Currently I have the Assault on Black Reach set with a point value of about 585.

Some of the unites I was looking at include
5 man Assault squad
5 man scout with sniper rifles
1 drop pod

I’m trying to build a Fluffy Raven Guard Army what other units do you think I need?

·
Lord of Shadows
603 Posts
Hello and welcome to LO =)

I am a Raven Guard (successor) player myself, and try to play by the fluff as much as i can. There are quite a few of us RG players, so you will get a lot of advice here =)

The first thing you need to run out and purchase, is the Captain Shrike model. It's a beautiful model that you'll enjoy painting up, and his special combat tactics are wonderful giving your whole army Fleet, allowing assault marines (amongst others) to move up to 24inch in order to assault (12" move + D6" run + 6"assault!).

I agree with your choices though. 5man assault squad + 5man scout squad with snipers, and a drop pod for those marines you got in the BR-box set would work well.

Consider a second drop-pod for the dreadnought too, as getting that beast into combat faster is the way forward with RG.

As a general idea, take plenty of troop options - usually an even mix of scouts that infiltrate and tactical squads that you'll deepstrike, and using the new 'Combat Squads' rules, split those 10man tac squads into 2x5man squads as soon as they get out of the drop-pods as that increases your effective fire power and doubles the number of units that can capture objectives!

Also, devistator squads, these should always be your preference over the various armoured units you can field. Deep-strike a devvi squad onto the board, run them into good cover, and wait a round before unleashing hell. Lascannons + Plasma cannons are popular options on devvi squads.

Follow those options up with fast attack units, mostly assault marines. Some people think land speeders are fluffy for RG, but its really personal choice - i dont.

Here is a simple 5th-ed 1000point list that you could consider (although i dont expect it to be perfect!)

Shrike - on his own = 195points
Tactical Squad 1 (10men) + free flamer + free missile launcher + power weapon + drop pod = 220points
Tactical Squad 2 (10men) + free flamer + free heavy bolter + power weapon + drop pod = 220points

Assault Squad 1 (5men) + lightning claw on sarge = 115points
Assault Squad 2 (5men) + power weapon on sarge = 115points

Dreadnought + drop pod = 140points

That should be 1005points there.
The idea is to attach Shrike to one assault squad at the beginning and race both them down one flank while deepstriking everythign else on the other side of the table, using the armour of the dreadnought to soak up those shots that would otherwise cause havok on your tactical squads. Simple matter of assault-rinse-repeat.

Let us know how you get on collecting your RG army.

CR

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply it’s good to know I’m in the right place. I just have two questions the first is about Captain Shrike on the games-workshop web page it says he can only be in a 1500 point army. My second question is what do I do with the 5 Black Reach Terminators there not very Raven Guard or are they?

·
Lord of Shadows
603 Posts
Right, I'll address your second question first while i scroll through my random bits of paper that have unit rules/etc scribbled on them - I'm at work, it looks more like work when its hand-written trash instead of a sweet hard-backed book ;)

So, Termies. Terminators really are Raven Guard fluffy, but only in small quantities. According to the losses at the drop-site massecre most of the Raven Guard Terminator suites were lost, so keeping it small is wisest! Two squads of 5men is really pushing it, but a single squad of 5 that teleport in (scouts + infiltrate + teleport homer = godsend!) stick to the fluff really well - they are quick at striking, and can be deployed to break the enemy at their weakest link. The BR-Box set Termies are the shootie variety, which i personally prefer with teleporting into battle, as they can shoot on the turn they arrive, but not assault (making assault terminators somewhat useless if they teleport into battle!)

So, low number of Termie squads, teleport into battle, shoot like a mad-man. Easy eh? =)
I did just notice the new rule for termie weapon selection. For every 5 termies in a squad, you get to upgrade a single model to have either a heavy flamer OR assault cannon OR cyclone missile launcher. I personally prefer to take the assault cannon myself as rending hits are far more useful than you initially think!

As for your first question, in the new codex (so my scribbles say!) it appears that all unique indipendant characters can be taken in any battle size. Admitted, it's possibly not wise to take the 200ish-point shrike in a 500point army, but its personal choice! With the immenant release of the new space marine codex, many of the notes on games workshop's online store will be changed to reflect the new codex rules, such as this one, so dont believe everything their site says right now.

Which takes me to another note, dont buy the marine codex just yet, the new one is due out on the 10th of Oct, I'm sure you can wait 3 or 4 weeks before writing your final army list ;) but in the mean time, feel free to buz questions our way and we'll do our best =)

CR

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts

·
Lord of Shadows
603 Posts
Feel free to take said pedestal Nemesis. I spent weeks looking over your posts before getting my own RG army sorted out. I did go looking for your post but lost it in the jungle of bookmarks i have. I spent many long days in work reading your RG post, and it's the finest data i've come across for the chapter on the net!

/worship

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
Now, something weird is going on here - I'm not supposed to be "that guy" that everyone worships! ;)

You can find the article also linked in the Space Marine Index thread stickied at the top of this forum, as well as a ton of other beneficial links from both Games Workshop and other members of this forum.

Once I get my hands on the new Space Marine codex and start working on getting some Raven Guard on the table, I'll potentially rewrite the article with not only a fluff perspective but more of a gaming-geared perspective as well. No promises on when that will be, but I'll see what I can do.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 7 of 7 Posts