Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have tips for an Ice World Terrain? I want a little more like a snowy wasteland. Ive got a Tau army now with IG Valhallan troops as auxilary. It looks really cool with snow camo Tau but I have no idea what i should use.

Looking in the Rule book it has plenty of cool ideas. The Terrain Generators for ice is giving me good visions of stuff. Glacier Rivers, frozen lakes, crevasses (some partially hidden), and forests. I could easily buy trees from citadel or someone else and dry brush white onto them. But that gets expensive. I just need some tips on making a frozen river or lake. And large chunks of ice would be good. My biggest problem would be snow and making bases with snow on them. They dont have static snow heh (which would make this much easier) so im not sure what to use.

Edit: Acually if anyone has seen ANY sort of pictures from ice worlds that would be great.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
Hmm yeah that could be a problem :rolleyes: . But aren't there different sizes? I recall seeing some bags with flakes that were still pretty big compared to the minis, but smaller than real-life snow. Hmm now I'm getting this idea of using flower or some other white powder :unsure: ...

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
In my oppinion make a lot of giant ice crystals...

And about the snow flake thingies, just smash'em up good and hopefully they will loook ok.
What is it your saying, the snow flakes are of cloth? find another way to cut them to shreds...

Besides some big one woulden't matter, ever sprikled a surface gently with water and leaving outside in the frost... sometimes it ends with it becoming bigger snow flakes...

Kasutta!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Have you ever read the Codex necrons book.

In that book They tell you how to make alien crystals... just do the same prosedure and the paint the crystals bluish...

And If you haven't been able to read the book here's how...
Cut fairly thick rods of polystyrene into the shape of quarts crystals... then paint them...

·
Registered
485 Posts
One simple way to make snowy terrain is to just glue fine grained sand on MDF or thin sheets of expanded polystyrene. Then paint it with a color you which matches the hue you want the snow to have (blue, yellow, pink etc) Then apply a solid highlight of white.

As for crystal Dragonslayero is absolutly right the Necron codex has some good pointers. I think some of these tips can be found on the necron page on the gw site, but i'm not sure.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here's an idea for a frozen lake that I've been thinking about but haven't tried.

First off your gonna need a raised terrain style landscape.

Second, get a piece of plexiglass (you can pick it up at most DIY centers) while your there ask if they have a product , and I'm not sure on the title here, but it's like snow in a can, it's kinda like spray paint but gives a frost covering 3-D effect (most people use it on windows around Christmas time).

Now that you have this stuff, what you need to do is paint the bottom of your lake a deepish blue, just think of what water looks like under ice.

Next cut the plexi the size of your lake, allowing for a slight over lap so you can anchor it into the shore.

Before you anchor it, lightly coat the UNDER side of the plexi with the snow in a can stuff going slightly heavier on the edges. If your really daring, you might even try to create cracks in the ice by making etchings with a really sharp hobby knife.

Now anchor in your plexi over your lake base, fix up the shore bits and there ya have it.

Like I said, it's an idea I've been runnin through my head, haven't really tried it this way, but have had a lot of succes with plexi in some military set ups.

Let me know what you think.

BTW, the snow stuff your talking about is actully called Flock. It's used alot on trees once again around Christmas time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
A. simpel way to make snow: Take woodglue and birdcage sand. Mix the wood glue and some water as long as it get a thick "milk". Put it with a brush on the place you want to have snow on and than yuo put the sand on it. After that let it dry for two hours and than you put some more glue on it( it makes the crystals of the sand look more little) Let this dry for a night and TADAAA.......your snow is done. If you wnat to make it look "icey" you give it a verry light mixt white with water and a little blue ink.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Originally posted by terminatortrevk@May 21 2003, 07:57
my mom used to buy this spray on stuff that looked like snow
it looked pretty good and it stuck on well
i think it came in a blue can but that was a long time ago so who knows if it is still around... :)
The crystals of these sprays are a bit big compared with the rest of the terrain.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.