Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Archmage (level 4) with ring of corin, jewel of the dusk, starwood staff, dispel scroll
Prince (BSB) with great weapon, heavy armor, shield, radiant gem of hoeth, ring of fury
Mage (level 2) with staff of sorcery
Mage (level 2) with annulian crystal

Phoenix Guard x 21 (full command, banner of sorcery, Prince)
2 x White Lions x 14 (full command)
2 x Spearmen x 21 (full command)
2 x Archers x 10 (one Mage in each unit)
2 x Dragon Princes x 5 (full command)
2 x Ellyrion Reavers x 5 (full command)
4 x Repeater Bolt Thrower
2 x Great Eagle

I hope to overwhelm the enemy with the sheer number of spells I can cast and force them to engage my spearmen, white lions and phoenix guard. This list can get at least 6 spells off per turn. Does this list sound good?

·
Rushing Jaws
1,541 Posts
I'm not very experienced at actually gaming, but I can point out a few thigns that you'll need to change. The archmage, for example, has three arcane items, but he's only allowed to have one. (Any character can only have up to one of each type of magic item - enchanted item, talisman, magic weapon etc).

Also, the option to upgrade to BSB is only available to the noble, not to the prince.

I think those are the only things that need to be changed, and otherwise I think it's a fairly good list. I think that the prince's saves are on the low side, so I would probably try to find the points to improve his save, but that's the only thing which is immediately obvious to me.

There are lots more people around here who have much more experience with list writing, so I'll let them give the advice.

The High Elf Army Lists forum would have been a better place to put this thread, but I'm sure a mod won't mind moving it. As long as you give them biscuits, of course! ;)

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Okay... i am going to guess- and correct me if i'm wrong- you are new to this game.
Well, welcome to the game and to the forum. If you are not new to the game- welcome to the forum atleast. I have seen a few things more in the list than what Ancalagon noticed.

The prince cannot be a BSB. In addition the shield is of little use to him: when he is being shot at, it will give him a 4+ save, pretty useless. When he is combat, he cannot use the greatweapon and shield at the same time. He will either have the strength bonus, or his 5+ save.

Also, why the Ellyrions? Your army is very slow moving, especially when you consider that you are going to be fighting defensively. With the 2 eagles, you should be clear for warmachine hunting. You have the DPs for actual cavalry support. The ellyrions would serve the last remaining purpose of fast-cavalry: running down skirmishers and enemy light cavalry. But with the amount of shooting you have, these targets will be destroyed before the cavalry really takes effect.
If you do decide to keep the cavalry, don't waste points on a full command. Give them bows, and a Musician to help them rally.

Thirdly, I understand the concept behind 4rbts. If this is a tournament list, that might be acceptable, but for friendly play, that many RBTs is generally considered unfair or cheesey. Besides, with two units of archers and a killer magic phase, I would really settle for two of them, and add the points saved into your frontline units. I would work on getting a bigger unit of Whitelions actually. Or adding in a unit of Swordmasters. If you need points, drop the command off your Spearmen, leaving only a standard if you want.

Finally- if you are aiming for a list that is magic heavy, i would get rid of the prince and add another mage or archmage. If you wish to keep the BSB, then make him a Noble and keep the ring on him. The number and quality of the mages you propose is going to be magic heavy, however Anacalog is correct when he says that you have too many items on some of them.

I've been playing the game for quite a while, actually, 7 or 8 years. There are still people on here that are a little brighter than me (but not much :D ) so, i expect they will be around to help. Keep posting and enjoy your stay.
-ps. this really should have gone in the Army List section.

·
Master of the Crab Women
1,007 Posts
Archmage (level 4) with ring of corin, jewel of the dusk, starwood staff, dispel scroll

As has been mentioned before, 3 arcane items so you will have to get rid of 2 of them.

Prince (BSB) with great weapon, heavy armor, shield, radiant gem of hoeth, ring of fury

He can't be the battle standard bearer (no entry for it in the army book).

Mage (level 2) with staff of sorcery
Mage (level 2) with annulian crystal

These sound alright

Phoenix Guard x 21 (full command, banner of sorcery, Prince)
2 x White Lions x 14 (full command)
2 x Spearmen x 21 (full command)
2 x Archers x 10 (one Mage in each unit)
2 x Dragon Princes x 5 (full command)

These look ok.

2 x Ellyrion Reavers x 5 (full command)

Full command seems to be a waste on these units since they look that they're going to be baiting. Carrying standard would mean that they would be giving away victory points easily.

4 x Repeater Bolt Thrower
2 x Great Eagle

This looks alright.

I hope to overwhelm the enemy with the sheer number of spells I can cast and force them to engage my spearmen, white lions and phoenix guard. This list can get at least 6 spells off per turn. Does this list sound good?
As usual, my thoughts are as above.

In my opinion you really need to get to grips with the rules before jumping in at the deep end. 3k is at the high end of the scale and is far from an ideal arena for the beginner.

I suggest making a 1k list and playing a few games with that. Playing is the best way of learning and is far superior to talking about lists on forums.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Ah man, go light on him. He's still learning. But yeah, 3K is NOT the place to start. For elves, i'd suggest about 1,500 or 2,000 pts to get started. 2,000 doesn't really leave much room for expansion, since it's the biggest game most people will play. Give that a shot, and see what works for you before you going jumping off the deep-end.
Besides, a large list will usually arise out of all the little splinters of your army. For example, I can field 4,500pts of dangerous HE fury. But, that's because I have multiple attempts at 1,500 and 2,000pt. armies just lying around my basement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.