·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Archmage (level 4) with staff of sorcery, two dispel scrolls, ring of corin
Archmage (level 4) with two power stones, ring of fury, silver wand
Mage (level 2) with jewel of the dusk, power stone
Mage (level 2) with annulian crystal

Phoenix Guard x 24 (full command, banner of sorcery, skeinsliver, Archmage)
2 x White Lions x 12 (full command)
2 x Spearmen x 18 (full command)
2 x Archers x 10 (one Mage in each unit)
2 x Dragon Princes x 5 (full command)
2 x Ellyrion Reavers x 5
4 x Repeater Bolt Thrower
2 x Great Eagle

I hope to overwhelm the enemy with the sheer number of spells I can cast and force them to engage my spearmen, white lions and phoenix guard. This list can get at least 6 spells off per turn. Does this list sound good?

·
2,244 Posts
I find 3000 points very difficult to critique. The list looks fine and I think would be reasonably successful, it is balanced so should play consistently. I really like the large Phoenix gaurd, but why 21 and not 24? You can lose bits of command here and there and not fit in the extra 3 models.

I would personally have the staff of sorcery on the L4 and the Jewel of dusk on a L2 giving him 3 dice to cast a higher level spell without dipping into the pool. With a L4 I try and leave the entire pool to my L4 for offense while the other 2 mages cast defensive/ support spells. Staying in the characters I think I would change the prince to vambraces of defence + the gem, the better ward save is more useful than the better armour save in bigger games imo.

The only other thing that I am not completely sure about is 2 reaver units and 2 eagles. They both fill more or less the same roll in the army and 4 marchblockers/ warmachine hunters is alot but it depends who you are playing.

Sorry it wasn't more useful.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I imagine the reavers are to flank charge anything in combat with the DP once they have engaged and the eagles are for march blocking. However at 3K i would take more DP's, at 2K your points are more limited and reavers fulfill both functions marchblocking and flank charging. With a bigger point limit you have much more options. You also have an immense amount of fire power with 4 RBT you need to maximise this and make sure the enemy takes as long asd possible to reach you lines. Therefore the 2 ER and 2 eagles may well be appropriate. It all depends on the strategy you intend to use. If you intend to attack you probably don't need 4 RBT and do need more DP and less ER if you intend a reactive defense keep it the way it is. It seems a very balanced list good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

Yeah, this list is mostly for reactive defense, but the 4 RBTs, the archers, and the high magic are supposed to ensure that the enemy is forced to charge me. When they do, they will have to deal with white lions, phoenix guard, and spearmen, as the DPs and Reavers flank charge them. I had to choose White Lions, cause SMs will just get shot down, and that would leave my army in tatters.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I personally find it difficult to field an offensive HE army. HE armies are small, and that makes offensive styles perilous, at least for me. I don't like my units to be surrounded, charged on multiple sides, and subsequenty routed. I find defense easier with high elves, due to the RBTs, phoenix guard and spearmen.

Does anyone besides me find it funny that there's a unit called phoenix guard and a magic item called guardian phoenix?

Cause I do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
the only thing i could suggest is a good front size for your units is 6. try 6x2 opposed to 5x3 for the white lions and 6x3 as opposed to 7x3 for the spearmen. I find this is the most useful configuration because you can get all 6 into combat against most base sizes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I replaced the Prince with an Archmage, and changed their magic items around a bit to allow one of the level 2 mages to cast higher level spells if he wants, and to make one of the Archmages a big dispeller. Was this change good or bad?

·
2,244 Posts
I suppose this makes it more dangerous in the magic phase, personally I felt that it was more balanced before with a prince and the gem, but he may have been a bit of a waste, could have been done with a mounted noble. As I said good luck.

·
Rushing Jaws
1,541 Posts
And once again I strike to point out illegal things in lists...

Just a small one this time, and that is that the Dragon Prince Drakemaster cannot take the Ring of Corin since it is an arcane item and only wizards can carry arcane items.

Otherwise the list looks good and magic-y, and I can't think of much to say other than I love the big unit of Phoenix Guard. Mainly because I just generally love Phoenix Guard!

·
Rushing Jaws
1,541 Posts
Can one of the Mages or Archmages have it? I'd like to give it to the Archmage with the staff of sorcery.
They are the only ones in the army who are allowed to take it, but as it stands each of them already has an arcane item, and no character can carry more than 1 arcane item just like no character can have more than 1 enchanted item, magic weapon, talisman etc. (Dispel Scrolls and Power Stones don't count towards this limit). So if you want to keep it one of them would have to lose an item.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
This list has most of the same problems as the original. You've still got the akward Ellyrions, and the 4RBTs, and too many commands.

Like they said also, the 21 Spears are something of my doing around here, when talking about Lothern Seagaurd. The point was to get maximum shooting, almost 8 across- equal to archers- while also getting maximum attacks so that the shots and the spears added up to 28attacks. With normal spearelves, 24 is the way to go, so that they still get alot of attacks for a lower cost. You can easily drop out the extra command elements that you don't need.

Is there ANY way that you could perhaps take your philosophy and 'micro size' it? Perhaps get it down to 1.5 or 2k? Those lists are easier to critique and easier to expand. If the list can't be shrunk, that means that it has a weak core and is relying too much on the army's "gimmicks", and therefore it won't do well against a well concieved 3k list. Work out the guts of it first, then your next thousand or so points you can add in with units that you want to cover gaps.
Slow down man, I've been playing for 8years and I've only managed to get one army into a reasonable 3K list. Wait till you get some stuff built and painted and you've played a couple games. Maybe you'll find that you like painted Pheonix gaurd so much that winning doesn't matter and you want to make a list themed around the King's Gaurd. That's all the more I'm going to say- I'll shut up now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts