Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Firestorm" Veteran Flamer unit

Type Points_WS_BS_S_T_W_I_A_Ld_Sv
Marine 20 4_ 4_4_4_ 1_4_1_8_3+
Seargent +10 4_ 4_4_4_ 1_4_2_9_3+

Wargear: Bolter, Promethium grenades
The Sergeant may select wargear from the armoury

Sqaud size: 5-10

Options: Up to 4 models may swap their bolters for Heavy flamers for +15 points each

Im still thinking of rules for promethium grenades

·
Archmagos
904 Posts
Interesting...
What FOC slot will they take up?
If they're Elite, then I would consider making the normal marines Ld 9 since regular Veterans are like that.

Suggestions:
-Raise the cost of the Vet. Sarge upgrade to that of normal Marine squads. The way it's currently set up, you're giving the normal benefits of a Vet Sarge for a cheaper price than other Marine squads.
-Add the option to take normal flamers.
-Allow the option for the unit to swap their bolter with bp/ccw for free.
-In addition to whatever rules you come up for Promethium grenades, have them count as frags.
-Don't forget the option for a transport.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Dude vetern seargants all have leadership 9 although I agree about the cost.

·
426 Posts
Ideas for Promethium Grenades:

Ranged:

--6" Range, Small blast, str 4 ap 4, scatter d6.
Model under hole is hit by AP 2. Inititative of target squad is reduced by 1 for the remainder of the player turn (for consequent assaults), because they're on fire.

--6" Range, throws the FLAME TEMPLATE. Str 4 ap 4 (or 5), scatter d6, point in a random direction.
Initiative of target squad is reduced by 1 for the remainder of the player turn, because they're on fire.

-probably limit the squad to 5, or allow few characters with grenades.

ASSAULTS: yes, I think they should use firebombs in combat!

--Much like the Space Marine Tyranid Hunters, they could sacrifice their normal attacks for a single Str 6 AP 3 hit, as they stuff the grenade down their opponent's mouth or ear/ down their armor.

--Any number of models with Promethium Grenades can activate their grenade in combat and lob it through the melee. Rather than attacking, place the small blast template d6" from the thrower. Hits are resolved at Str 4 AP 4. Note this can (and probably will) affect friendlies.

-- ONCE during the game, any number of models with promethium grenades can choose to activate all of them at once, though this is sure to end in that hero's death. Place the small (maybe large?) blast template over the explodee. All hits are resolved at str 8 ap 3. Remove the model as a casualty, no saves of any sort are allowed.

Other rules:
Promethium Grenades count as Frag Grenades for the purpose of assaulting into cover, though if they do this, the unit cannot attack with their special grenade CC rules.

When lobbing grenades from an elevated position (area 2 terrain or higher ?), the range of the grenades is increased to 12", though they still scatter d6.

Promethium Grenades ignore the effect of cover.

Anyway, these are some rules I had fun messing around with. The points of your marines may or may not have to change with these. Enjoy!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
0-1 "Firestorm" Veteran unit

Uses 1 elites slot

Points_WS_BS_S_T_W_I_A_Ld_Sv
20 4_ 4_4_4_ 1_4_2_9_3+

Wargear: Bolter, melta Bombs

Options: Up to 4 models may swap their bolters for flamers for +10 points each.

Any model with a bolter may swap it for a CC weapon and bolt pistol.

A bolter or bolt pistol may be upgraded to carry incinideray bolts for +10 each. Bolters or bolt pitols with incinedary bolts count as having AP 4

All models may take Promethium grenades for +10 points each

Special rules

Inferno: If the sqaud has 2 or more flamers, for every 2 flamers they may combine into 1 flamer template that has str 5 and AP 4

Promethium grenades: -Any number of models with Promethium Grenades can activate their grenade in combat and lob it through the melee. Rather than attacking, place the small blast template d6" from the thrower. Hits are resolved at Str 4 AP 4. Note this will affect friendlies.

-- ONCE during the game, any number of models with promethium grenades can choose to activate all of them at once, though this is sure to end in that hero's death. Place the large blast template over the explodee. All hits are resolved at str 8 ap 3. Remove the model as a casualty, no saves of any sort are allowed.

Promethium Grenades count as Frag Grenades for the purpose of assaulting into cover, though if they do this, the unit cannot attack with their special grenade CC rules.
Promethium Grenades ignore the effect of cover.

Thanks to Darkspawn327 for all the help

·
Tyranid Warrior Fanatic
2,668 Posts
I think Promethium grenades are a bit over powered.... I mean, a unit that can make 10 blast templates in combat that deal s4 ap4 hits? I'm thinking this:

Promethium Grenades:

Rng: 6" S4 Ap4 Assault 1
Additional rules: Counts as frag grenades, can be used on vehicles as normal per grenades, all units in CC after using promethium grenades get -1 to hit (both sides) due to the flames.

Think about it this way: krak genade launchers don't cause blasts.

·
Registered
119 Posts
At first I was going to say no to your Inc-Rounds; as that was a very specific Thousand Sons thing. But then I saw your pt cost and realized it's 1 AP weaker than theres, I didn't care so much. :p

Some ideas to consider...

Providing 1 model, possibly the sergeant, with a "Heavy Flame Thrower". Count it as twin-liked for all purposes.

I was also thinking about how Flame Gernades actually work; the burn the living crap out of everything. But for the thought of this game, maybe it should work like other gernades and not actually have a shooting profile. I suggest this using good old Nam-Tactics...

Promethean Gernades; these potent flame gernades are used to clear cover protecting enemy forces. The firestorm squad may select one enemy unit within firing range and use Promothen gernades against them at the start of the shooting phase. For the remainder of the players turn; the enemy squad is not longer considered in cover.

Those two suggestions wouldn't be so overpowered and would provide some interesting fluff and gameplay tactics. Imagine clearing out the tress protecting a squad of Snipers; no cover saves for shooting and you don't need frag gernades to assault that turn... not to shabby.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
0-1 "Firestorm" Salamanders Veteran unit

Uses 1 elites slot

May only be used in a Salamanders chapter army.

Model Points_WS_BS_S_T_W_I_A_Ld_Sv
Veteran 20 4_ 4_4_4_ 1_4_1_9_3+
Vet. Sgt +10 4_4_4_4_1_4_2_9_3+

Wargear: Bolter, melta Bombs

Options: Up to 4 models may swap their bolters for flamers for +10 points each.

Any model with a bolter may swap it for a CC weapon and bolt pistol.

A bolter or bolt pistol may be upgraded to carry incinideray bolts for +10 each. Bolters or bolt pitols with incinedary bolts count as having AP 4

The Veteran Saergent may take A Promethium Bomb for +10 points

Every model may take Incinedary grenades for +5 points each

Special rules

Inferno: If the sqaud has 2 or more flamers, for every 2 flamers they may combine into 1 flamer template that has str 5 and AP 4

Promethium Bomb: The Veteran Sgt. may detonate the Promethium bomb when charging into combat or when he dies. Before detonating the Vet. Sgt. must pass a Leadership test. If he passes it place the large blast marker over the Vet. Sgt. all models under under the template (4+ for partials) suffer a Str 5 AP 3 hit.

Incidenary Grenades:These potent flame grenades are used to clear cover protecting enemy forces. The firestorm squad may select one enemy unit within firing range and use Promothen gernades against them at the start of the shooting phase. For the remainder of the players turn; the enemy squad is not longer considered in cover.

Transport: May be mounted in a Rhino for +50 points or a Razorback for +70
May also Deep Strike in a drop pod

·
426 Posts
Smart idea about the AP 4 bolter. I can see giant monster warriors with flaming guns already.

Don't forget transport options! These guys would be nasty from a drop pod.

I'd just like to add that I don't even play Space Marines (Dark Eldar and Nids, actually), but I love this idea and think that this would be awful fun to play against.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Idon't play Space marines either, but I used to play Chaos and a friend ofmine plays marines.So I kind of guessed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.