Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm also anxious to try out some Eviscerator-Laiden Celestians against Tyrnaids.

Take a VSS with Evis+Cannoness (or 2) with Evis, plus a priest with Evis.
3 Str6 Attacks hitting on 3s and get re-rolls if you charge.
+
7 Str6 Attacks @ WS4 that also get re-rolls if you charge.

Imagine if you throw HAND on this.
You'll positively shock a Tryanid HQ and Retinue. I know I know... you're thinking, "Nids are too fast. I can't ususlaly get the charge on them."

To that I say, first charge him with Seraphim. (Charge like a spear, only letting 2-3 Seraphim into the kill zone, then during the assault phase on his next turn, go invulnerable, because you will have an appropriate # to make the roll successfully), then jump back, and charge with the Celestian Evis Squad. You might even consider using Litanies on this squad to allow it to go invulnerable.

Has anyone ever done something like this?
Was it pure joy, or tragedy?

·
LO Zealot
1,322 Posts
Nope, I would opt for a shooty solution against tyrannids personally. As efficient as sisters can be against nids they would just do better during shooting. The eviserator idea might work against the bigger beasties but thats still quite a risk, fail a single 2+ save and they're instant killed due to the high strength.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well sure, the shooty solution works best, but let's just imagine this one for a little while.

Seeing the risk you've pointed out, of that insta-kill we could slap the Mantle of Ophelia onto the Cannoness. That's probably a worthwhile investment, given how tall of an order she is facing. Or even throw in a second Cannoness for Redundancy. (Though I think you can only take one Mantle).

I'm partially reacting to the frustration that Nid players seem to experience when 3/4 their army gets shot to death. It's a buzzkill. I say let's give them the bloody H2H that they so crave, right up the tookas!

I also noticed that Rhinos are a great Genestealer-Bomb.
They penetrate it so easily that it's very likely to explode, which can take a few GSs out. (heck, you can even spin it around, exposing the AV10). And I also believe (correct me if I'm wrong with this) that all the hits are simultaneous, so that if you "destroy" it and "explode" it during the same assault, the explosion will still take place (mu ha ha). Most Nid players simply don't have the willpower to resist charging a Rhino, so you an use it to "pull" them away from the center where your Salty Celestians are.

Tell me that wouldn't be a really fun game?

Reactions: Sabe

·
Too Sexy For My Whirlwind
1,150 Posts
Be careful with the evis. because of the whole I1 thing. Your strat however is good but sisters are one of the best armies around to fight nids with because they have the two best weapons to use against them in abundance(flamers and melta's.) Why give that up?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
... because I want to have some fun.

I want to be the wimpy little T3 army that stood up and gave the Carnifex and his entourage a beating in CC. I'll allocate as many wounds as I can to the Celestans and hit em with all the Str8 I can muster.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Red Zinfandel said:
... because I want to have some fun.

I want to be the wimpy little T3 army that stood up and gave the Carnifex and his entourage a beating in CC. I'll allocate as many wounds as I can to the Celestans and hit em with all the Str8 I can muster.
Personally I think it's a cool idea.

Now do it with Arbites!

·
LO Zealot
1,322 Posts
Yeh, you can only take one mantle. Though suicide mostly, you could try repentia the odd one that does survive might do alot lol. Close combat wise I think some penitant engines work well. Being armour 11 they can negate all strength 4 hits.....don't charge into the bigger beasties though.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
no go with blessed wep on canoness/s cus then u don strike last and against nids that does make a difference

·
LO Zealot
1,322 Posts
Plague_00 said:
no go with blessed wep on canoness/s cus then u don strike last and against nids that does make a difference
That idea is so over used though :/

Obviously there are reasons for it but still :p

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
there's a reason it's done soo much and thats cus it works and u should never eliminate somthin cus other people take it.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The probelm with Repentia is the fact they could be baited by gaunts.
Nid armies always seem to be preceeded by wave of gaunt-somethings.

At least the Cannoness & co have guns to cut down the Gaunt swarm.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
yup but ya should be ignoring the gaunts for the most part as they are sister fodder .

also since i assume you will be taking some gk (it would be very funny if you didn't since ya always sing their praises *this isn't a insult*) they are the ultima gaunt killers, i used to have a gk army (still do) and sb cut through gaunts like noboddy's buisness

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Plague_00 said:
ya should be ignoring the gaunts
I'd like to, but I really can't ignore them when they fform a huge wave. The gaunts could inflict a pile of wounds into my souped-up Celestian squad, making the Celestian squad unfit to face the Nid HQ.
also since i assume you will be taking some gk they are the ultima gaunt killers
(ha) Good point, but believe it or not, I rarely use GKs. You've taken notice that they are on my mind lately. I think they're worth considering in a lot of circumstances.

The GK Stormbolters certainly make them worth considering for cutting down swarms. BUt I'd pass on the GK option vs Nids, because I'm really trying to make a list that will beat Nids with a minimal amount of shooting. I've seen one too many Nid player shaking his head in disgust when he loses 75% his army to shooting. I think WH can develop a list that can win without such a shooty feel to the game. I think the Nid player would enjoy the game.

So I'd use Seraphim and a seperate squad of Celestians out in front to whittle down the Gaunts. 8 Charging Seraphim cut gaunts down pretty fast, I've noticed. This would pave a clean path for my Tooled-up Celestian squad to slam into the Nid HQ.

What else have I missed?

·
The Fallen
7,906 Posts
Plague_00 said:
yup but ya should be ignoring the gaunts for the most part as they are sister fodder .

also since i assume you will be taking some gk (it would be very funny if you didn't since ya always sing their praises *this isn't a insult*) they are the ultima gaunt killers, i used to have a gk army (still do) and sb cut through gaunts like noboddy's buisness
A bit rich since this is your third post in a row without mentioning flamers!

Got to admit that Nids are suprisingly the army I have probably faced the least, but when I have faced them, the trusty bolter has served well. MY sistes ahve never taken them on, but I would personnaly opt for rank upon rank of foot squad and bolter the heck of them.

Diaz-Godwin - just do it!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cheredanine said:
but I would personnaly opt for rank upon rank of foot squad and bolter the heck of them.
I got into trouble doing that because the gaunts charged 12", so I never got the chance to double tap the bolters. The resulting Combats resulted in problematic LOS blockages. They also move through terrain with 3D6, so there were a lot of cover saves taken.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Immolators with flamers are Teh fun against nids.

for only 65 points you can make them feel the wrath of the holy emperor.

move 12', tank shock (not for morale check, but to make them go backward), Flame, flame flame. block their path.

Then
- either they shoot at it with carni/hive tyrant/whatever (giving a rest to your exorcist).
- or they engage cc to your moving tank, with few chances to blow it up. And loosing a precious turn of moving.
- They ignore it to rush to your juicy sisters, keep moving 6'+ and tank shocking, flame them again and again. Show no mercy.
(I foresee Plague_00 will love this)

Speed freaks uses the same tactic with Ork Wartrak Scorcha. One could say : ho speed freaks are in trouble vs nids. Not at all, they flame, flame. WAAAGGGGHHH! (Ork Wartrak Scorcha is 38 pts, and they can field 9 of them o_O)

Work a bit on tank shock to see how you can better annoy them. Every model under the immolator has to move out of the tank using the shortest path.You can force some of his models to go in whatver direction you want. This sadistic tactic unfortunately tends to make nid player nervous. He will argue about tank shock rules, prepare the book!

I never tried it, but you could even field sisters inside the immolator to fire heavy flamer from the top hatch. It would make 2 flamers templates. but at the cost of two immolators, heh.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
i think against nids an all mounted army would do better than a footslogger (in process of colaeting data on which is better norm anyway) as some drive by flaminf sounds good

ohh yeh b'fore i go ...... flamer!

·
LO Zealot
1,322 Posts
Hmmm mechanised does seem the answer against the swarm version of the tyrannid army but then again there is the pure monsterous creatures army. Oh yeh twin storm bolters on rhinos....I like that idea ^^

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
"flamer flamer flamer i made you out of clay"

seriously against nids take flamers lotsa lotsa flamer it's all ya ever need and if they do take mc army then rub ur hands bring on the exorcists and flame their big ol incredibly highcosted butt.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.