Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

As I'm in the middle of building up my swarm oriented army, I've been thinking about what to put on a Hive Tyrant that I recently acquired. The Hive Tyrant is 50% built. The head, torso, and legs have been put together and put on a base. I have 2 Balrog wings in posession, along with enough extra bitz to do almost any weapon conversion. I wanted to make a shooty Tyrant that I could possibly field in a swarm-oriented army, but only in games of 1750 points or more.

I'd like to get suggestions/opinions on what you think would be the best option for a shooty Tyrant from the choices below.

1) Flying DakkaTyrant
This would essentially be a Hive Tyrant with 2 TL Devouers, Toxin Sacs, and Wings. If you think this is the best one, I'd appreciate your opinions on additional biomorphs.

2) Walking DakkaTyrant with Tyrant Guard

This is like option 1 above, but without wings. I felt that 2-3 Tyrant Guard would be necessary to beef it up.

3) Flying SniperTyrant
I never considered fielding a Hive Tyrant with Venom Cannon and Barbed Strangler. But I've heard a few veteran players swear that they're more effective than people believe, due to the units range, MEQ shooting ability, and moderate strength of its weapons. So I'm wondering if having a fast moving long range shooter would be effective w.r.t. my swarm oriented army.

4) Walking SniperTyrant with Tyrant Guard
Like options 3 and 4, this is just a walking Hive Tyrant with a Venom Cannon, Barbed Strangler, and 2-3 Tyrant Guard for support.

=================
I'm NOT interested in a close-combat Tyrant, as I already own one. I also own a walking Tyrant with a Venom Cannon and one TL Devourer. So unless you can think of a new weapon combination that you can suggest, I'd like to keep the opinions based on the four options above.

My thanks for your time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would most certainly go with option one. I run a dakka flyrant in all of my games. For additional biomorphs enhanced senses, warp field, and toxic miasma(if possible dont have my codex in front of me). Toxin sacs are good to get your devs str up. Wings are for sheer awesomeness which is what a flyrant is about. Enhanced senses to help you shoot though this and toxin sacs might be moot due to the twin linked/living ammunition rules of the dev. Warp field is to keep you flyrant in the same condition as you put him on the table with a 2+/6+ its not quite terminator armor but then again a flyrant isnt exactly a puny smurf now is he? And toxic miasma if he can get it will help his survivability in CC by lowering the enemies WS. Anyways thats the kind of flyrant that I run in almost all my games and more often than not he creates vast carnage vs troops and manages to be alive when the battles over...

·
Registered
37 Posts
The only Hive Tryrant i would run is one with Dev's on it.

now there are 2 kinds of them walking and flying. in my lists i have one of each.

the flying one is forward synapse for my hormagaunts, and the walking one is a slower shooter for middle synapse and support.

the 12 shots a peace i use at any CC units the enemy has, anything that would pose a treat to my hormagaunts or genestealers or anything in range

with the way my enemy's space out there models the BS cant seem to hit as many as the Dev's can. the VC's AT help becomes expensive since the second Weapon would be wasted ( no other weapon can help hit armor, Caniflex's just do it better VC BS for the win)

And with the walking one clocking in a 121 point and the flying at 161 before any save increases they are much less expensive point wise.

Thats y i only run Devours on my Hive Tyrants
:happy:

·
Registered
744 Posts
I would most certainly go with option one. I run a dakka flyrant in all of my games. For additional biomorphs enhanced senses, warp field, and toxic miasma(if possible dont have my codex in front of me). Toxin sacs are good to get your devs str up. Wings are for sheer awesomeness which is what a flyrant is about. Enhanced senses to help you shoot though this and toxin sacs might be moot due to the twin linked/living ammunition rules of the dev. Warp field is to keep you flyrant in the same condition as you put him on the table with a 2+/6+ its not quite terminator armor but then again a flyrant isnt exactly a puny smurf now is he? And toxic miasma if he can get it will help his survivability in CC by lowering the enemies WS. Anyways thats the kind of flyrant that I run in almost all my games and more often than not he creates vast carnage vs troops and manages to be alive when the battles over...

I agree with this, and it is very similar to what I use. May I suggest tedbob, using the +WS adrenal glands instead of toxic miasma... It's cheaper and has the same effect, unless of course you use both biomorphs for an even greater effect. Also, don't forget the psychic power "The Horror" that all hive tyrants have... It can sometimes prevent a unit from assaulting the HT and thereby waste the enemy unit's turn. I often forget it myself.

Anyway, here is what I use...

for 200 points even:
Hive Tyrant w/ 2 TL-dev's
- Wings
- Warp Field
- Enhanced Senses
- Toxin Sacs (this is good to give the tyrant more chance to scrape vehicles and cause more wounds on T4, T5 & T6 models)
- Adrenal Glands +WS (cheap and effective for assaults)

I find this loadout to perform fantastically, and I use her for assault after shooting sometimes and she kicks butt.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I suppose its a moot point to post similar buiilds... Lol, but I like to post.. the above tyrant is the exact build of the one I run in my army. You just cant beat that kind of mobile firepower. and the fact that the tyrant is a MS makes her hand 2 hand that much better.

O.T.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Mine is a little different, footslogging but with forward deployment, it never seems a problem.

I run him with Ext. Carapace, T-Sacs, Enhanced senses, 2 TL Devourers and a Venom Cannon. For backup I keep 2-3 guards with him, and they work great.

There's the sheer intimidation of the 6 shots re-rolling hits and wounds at a relatively high strength that's utterly lovely. I evaluated the Barbed Strangler, but I'd rather roll and re-roll more dice, statistics be damned. I leave the stranglers to my 'fex phalanx, S8 pie plates= Legend... wait for it... hope you're not lactose intolerant 'cause the next part of that is...DAIRY!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeah, it's only with one set of twin-linked devourers.

That's the build I use as well. Gives you a goodly number of decent-strength shots for infantry, as well as the capability for taking out light tanks. And the venom cannon's AP4 is nice against things that, well, have an armour save of 4+ or worse. It's nice to be able to deny people armour saves from shooting. Doesn't happen often with nids. xP

It also makes you feel good about yourself when you realise your Tyrant has a higher firepower output than most tanks. :D

3 Guard is overkill. I use 2 at the most, usually only one. Don't spend too much on them, as they are only really useful in combat, something your shooty Tyrant should ideally never see. One is usually enough to soak up the extra lascannon (or whatever) shots that come flying your way.

·
Registered
116 Posts
3 Guard is overkill. I use 2 at the most, usually only one. Don't spend too much on them, as they are only really useful in combat, something your shooty Tyrant should ideally never see. One is usually enough to soak up the extra lascannon (or whatever) shots that come flying your way.
I save 3 for the larger games, 2.5K points and up to Apoc. I've had times where a lot of firepower was sent my way, and was glad to have all three. But I do usually go with two, unless it's a really small point game.

But the Apoc Hive Brood Legendary Formation was sick fun, worth the third guard.

·
Registered
508 Posts
It depends on which army you're facing.

If you're facing something like Orks or Guard, I'd go with a slight change--twin-linked devourers and a barbed strangler, for the ultimate anti-troop cleaner-upper. Walking, probably, with some guard.

The devs can chew up light units (like trukks) as well as troops, and with the HT's enhanced shooting, the barbed strangler actually works, and those pie plates are pretty big, plus you can still penetrate with them (though not much, admittedly).

The barbed stranglers also have the bonus of forcing pin tests, which can be truly useful against, say, Tau, Guard, and orks, especially the two former who will absolutely loathe not having the chance to shoot some high powered weapons at you for a round.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.