Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im starting an IG army anti orks. I have not played much. my opponent likes to use lots of powerful stuff like meks, zapp guns, ghazghull etc. has no bikes

·
Registered
310 Posts
A couple of Demolishers wouldnt hurt as their Strength 10 AP 2 ORD. shot will wipe almost any squad of orks or nobz off the map. Also some veteran squads with alot of special weapons (plasma is good) as they can get three per squad. Good Luck!

·
Registered
475 Posts
A couple of Demolishers wouldnt hurt as their Strength 10 AP 2 ORD. shot will wipe almost any squad of orks or nobz off the map. Also some veteran squads with alot of special weapons (plasma is good) as they can get three per squad. Good Luck!
Plasma is anti-MEQ, it is too costly for anti-orks

Anti orks = heavy flamers and the such
Orks have trouble with AT so getting up close isn't an issue as long as you move.
Flamers wound them pretty easily and the template will cover up hordes.
The cover save denial is also good.

I suggest hellhounds

·
Registered
46 Posts
Demolishers are good against their Battlewagon and can instant kill nobz (2 wounds, normal russes can do that too!)
If against their tides of green, demolition charges, flamers
The banewolf with 2+ to wound from the dirty chem cannon plus heavy flamer at the hull, hear them squeal to death.

P.S.: The banewolf is a fast vehicle and the chem cannon is STR 1 so its a defensive weapon! move 12", alpha strike on them and see them being burnt or melted by chems!

·
596 Posts
There are a lot of tools in our arsenal that can squish Orks, but here are a few key points to keep in mind:

The Four 'R's
Range: Orks will never beat us in a shooting duel and must close with us to engage us in CC. Set up as far back as possible and use...

Rate of Fire: Multi-shot weapons are your friends. Heavy bolters, autocannons and multi-lasers will kill almost any infantry that they hit. So stock up on these. I prefer these over template weapons due to the previously mentioned advantage of Range.

Really Big Guns: Pie plates, Pie plates and Pie plates. The demolisher cannon is good, but against Orks I prefer the Battle cannon for its price and, of course, its Range.

Riffles: Any Orks that are lucky enough to make it through your long ranged (multi-shot) heavy weapons and (large blast) reeeally heavy weapons, will walk straight into a wall of mid-to-short ranged lasgun fire.

Have a couple of Command squads mounted in Chimeras with Flame weapons to issue orders and to take care of any Ork units too close to your lines.

See how this goes for ya.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im ordering about 20 cadians and a battleforce off ebay. I wasnt to start with two small platoons, is this a good idea? what should I get after these are painted?

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
riffles have riddges.

Against orks, you want shooting, shooting, and more shooting. Nothing you have is going to go toe to toe with them in melee, so you need to get their numbers down before they get into charge range. Punishers sound interesting...but really, just go for the standard leman russ with three heavy bolters. The battle cannon should make a royal mess of the targeted mob, then you've got nine S5 shots to clean up the leftovers. I'd say that one russ per 500 points is fair.

Make sure you have some autocannons in your force. The orkish answer to your firepower is transports. If you aren't careful, they can and will pull off a first turn charge! You need to maximize the distance from their lines to yours...then blow up as many truks as possible on turn one. If he has to hoof it across the board, you've got him right where you want him. If he gets first turn and you aren't quite within charge range, it'll be a close fight, since he's going to get within charge range on turn 2 or 3, severely limiting your shooting time. If he gets first turn and is able to get stuck in...you're toast.

20 cadians plus a battleforce is a good start. Buy tanks next. You want platoons, no veterans. Veterans are for fighting more elite, but less numerous, enemies. Three BS4 plasma guns will kill about 3 terminators...or 4 orks. You tell me... OTOH, IG are very much capable of outnumbering a green tide and still having points for a few pie-plate-chuckers.

Griffons also make a nice mess of orks, and they're only 75 points a pop.

I'd recommend two stock russes, three hydras (for killing truks), and 2-3 griffons, plus as many standard infantry (heavy bolters and flamers against orks) as possible at 1750 points.

My army does pretty well against orks:

3 command squads with 2-3 meltas each

6 line squads with nothing but an autocannon each

9 chimeras, 4 with heavy flamer, 5 with heavy bolter, all of them with multilasers

4 russes with hull lascannons and no sponsons

2 griffons

This gives me 29 heavy weapons, 6 pie-plates, and the ability to skedaddle when the orks get uncomfortably close...but playing mech against orks on purpose is a bit cheesy...this is my all-comers list.

·
846 Posts
Well, as somneone who has primarily played orks throughout my gaming career I have to support the previous posters. As long as he's focussed on green tide use long range anti-troop weapons and tanks to your full advantage. Make sure to use target priority when fighting orks, speading your shots at every unit in the army is a guaranteed way of getting swamped.

Also judging from the basics of your friends list, he should be a bit of a pushover. Meks are decent but only really with a KFF or maybe a SAG in higher point lists. Ghazgull is strong but expensive and the Zzap guns are actually mostly useless due to their random nature. Without trukks or nob bikers, he has to rely on massed footslogging and a 5+ cover save only gets you so far. In 1000 points, you should be able to crush him with a couple leman russes and some well defended infantry platoons.

Just be sure you remember to move up to grab objectives, otherwise killing everything in sight may not be enough.

·
846 Posts
Well, as somneone who has primarily played orks throughout my gaming career I have to support the previous posters. As long as he's focussed on green tide use long range anti-troop weapons and tanks to your full advantage. Make sure to use target priority when fighting orks, speading your shots at every unit in the army is a guaranteed way of getting swamped.

Also judging from the basics of your friends list, he should be a bit of a pushover. Meks are decent but only really with a KFF or maybe a SAG in higher point lists. Ghazgull is strong but expensive and the Zzap guns are actually mostly useless due to their random nature. Without trukks or nob bikers, he has to rely on massed footslogging and a 5+ cover save only gets you so far. In 1000 points, you should be able to crush him with a couple leman russes and some well defended infantry platoons.

Just be sure you remember to move up to grab objectives, otherwise killing everything in sight may not be enough.

·
846 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you think i can convert a Griffon by just sticking a mortay, maybe with a few small adjustments, onto a Basilisk without the earthshaker cannon and front armour bit?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts