Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just reading my rulebook and looking at the gun strength.
since the bolgun has an armour pierce of 5 does it ignore ork(or any other) armour that has to roll A FIVE OR SIX to make an armour save??
I ignores their save???
i'm just trying to get it straight in my head...

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Yup...
The projectiles just smash through that light armour, it doesn't provide any protection.

However, this means that there is a huge difference between a 5+ and a 4+ save, because of all the AP5 weapons out there. Personally, i'd prefer a armour save modification system, because it's somehow strange that krak missiles bounce off artificier armour like a tennis ball (which is nothing else than slightly improved power armour), while normal power provides as much protection as a t-shirt.

jwu

·
1,019 Posts
Yeah those save modifiers would make sense, but they are more of a house rule project methinks (like the invulnerable save discussed before).

·
Registered
523 Posts
Fanatsy uses it and it works as did 2nd edition 40K. One of the things I liked but it does make the game more complex. And I beleive GW is trying tog et away from complex and make things more streamlined and easy for younger folk to follow.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Just tell me one thing...

What is the meaning of melta weapons having an AP of one?
Are there any models out there that have an armour save better than 2+?

·
Sorcerer
1,532 Posts
Originally posted by Dragonslayero@May 31 2003, 23:40
What is the meaning of melta weapons having an AP of one?
Are there any models out there that have an armour save better than 2+?
You never know, knowing GW release of some STUPID rules...

Really, i think is just so you know that a melta is better than a plasma gun at AP.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I've heard somewhere that in the early days of the conception of 3rd edition 40k it was planned that you need an AP of less the armour save in order to pierce the armour - so a plasma cannon couldn't pierce terminator armour, only AP1 things could do this. They changed this for whatever reason, but they either forgot to change all AP1 weapons to AP2 before it was too late (i.e. the codices already were printed), or they just kept it for fluff reasons, in order to show that a certain weapon is truly devastating.

Weapons which get extra dice against vehicles usually have an AP of 1, such as meltas and firepikes.

jwu

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Oh really and what would that be... no wait let me guess...

Powered terminator armour with integrated plasma forceshield that gives the following: save 1+/2+invul???????????

Now that had got to be funny...

·
Registered
346 Posts
In 2nd ED. Terminators had a 3+ save on 2d6 and something like a lascannon had a -6 modifier
meaning to save you would need to roll 9+ to save

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.