Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well hello their guys i just joined this forum because i was thinking about maybe starting up in warhammer 40k. I have read the Gaunts Ghosts novels by Dan Abnett and thats what had sparked my interest.

Ok i have never played a warhammer tabletop game and i was thinking what kind of army would be best to start off with probably Cadians??? I wanted to create an imperial guard army seeing as i like the gritty infantry kinda guys which the imperial guard definintely represent.

But anyways i have some more questions so ill just fire away...

Ok i see that alot of people are converting their models. Either by chopping stuff off and then molding other things on or whatever, so i was wondering can you do that with basically any IG model to create your own unique Army??

Also when creating an army can you choose the name for it and such(ya stupid questions and im predicting the answers yes..)?

Also how much money would i probably need to create a full army ready to take on the forces of chaos??

This questions kind of relates to #1. Can you paint your figures any colour you want to represent where your army is from??

And now this one if kind of off topic. Lets say i created an IG army do i have to name it a world that is known or can i make up my own "world" and "banners,symbols and such"??? Like i realise that the possibilities are truly endless since im sure noone(atleast not any time soon) is gonna name and write down all the 40 thousand plus worlds or wutever...

Thanks guys i appreciate the help and i hope you understand that im new to this.

·
Registered
84 Posts
hmm. not sure about IG (imperial gaurd) but i know you can with SM. i have my own set of symbols, and a paint scheme. Conversions are completely legal as long as they seem acceptale. for example you could put some jungle vines on your guys to represent them coming from a jungle. to make a full army you would need about $150+ for a IG boxed set and a codex. and you can paint your figures any color you like.

hope this helped

·
Treadhead with a Chainaxe
1,805 Posts
Rosso said:
Ok i see that alot of people are converting their models. Either by chopping stuff off and then molding other things on or whatever, so i was wondering can you do that with basically any IG model to create your own unique Army??
Yes.

Rosso said:
Also when creating an army can you choose the name for it and such(ya stupid questions and im predicting the answers yes..)?
Sort of, most of the exceptions can be gotten around so... Yes.

Rosso said:
Also how much money would i probably need to create a full army ready to take on the forces of chaos??
Depends on how big battle you want to play. 400-500p battles are the easiest to start with. Not sure how much it comes to in whatever currency you're using so I'll just say that IG armies are usually more expensive than other armies.

Rosso said:
This questions kind of relates to #1. Can you paint your figures any colour you want to represent where your army is from??
Yes.

Rosso said:
And now this one if kind of off topic. Lets say i created an IG army do i have to name it a world that is known or can i make up my own "world" and "banners,symbols and such"??? Like i realise that the possibilities are truly endless since im sure noone(atleast not any time soon) is gonna name and write down all the 40 thousand plus worlds or wutever...
Yes, you can make up your own fluff or backstory for your regiment, your own banners and blah blah blahdedi blah blah about your army.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Rosso said:
Yeah you can kinda. Do you mean like calling it the '121st Cadian Infantry Regiment'? Or do you mean something diffenet?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys for the useful info.. i live in canada and was hoping to make a BIG army lol.
So i can basically create my own world and then give a history for my regiment? I was thinking it would be kinda kewl to make up an entire regiment of murderers lol like guys saved from execution only to server their life sentences in the guard i think that would be a kinda kewl concept.. And if not that id like to maybe make a Tanith army or something i think that would be kewl since i loved the books.

·
LO Zealot
1,082 Posts
Rosso said:
thanks guys for the useful info.. i live in canada and was hoping to make a BIG army lol.
So i can basically create my own world and then give a history for my regiment? I was thinking it would be kinda kewl to make up an entire regiment of murderers lol like guys saved from execution only to server their life sentences in the guard i think that would be a kinda kewl concept.. And if not that id like to maybe make a Tanith army or something i think that would be kewl since i loved the books.
Yes, you can make your own fictional backround to your army, to us here, it is called "Fluff".
And having a unique army is really good :p

To start an army, I would say first look at ebay prices, it saves you all wonders. There is chance to get things much cheaper, or other places.

Some CAD prices are ridiculous for retail. US are most of the time cheaper, I know, I live right next to Canada, and compared >.>

·
Registered
23 Posts
One of the things you can do is pick out Operational Doctrines and special equipment for your regiment. If you choose to use these special abilities, your troop choices are restricted, but these options allow quite a bit of customizability to your regiment. Grab the IG Codex and look in the back. They also have some previously created regiments (like the Tanith 1st). From what you've said, you might want to take a look at the Kanak Skull-Takers and the Tanith First-And-Only.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The possibilities are really endless (Unless you choose a specific, set in stone already created regiment from the book.) You can pick ur own color scheme, fluff, convert anyway you want too. Pretty much do whatever you want...Just follow the rules xD.

·
Registered
886 Posts
IG is a pretty expensive are, money wise and are very confusing at times. i would recomend Space marines. You won't have to spend alot of Cash to get a strong force, and they can pretty much take care of themslves. Space marines are a really Tough army, and E-Z to learn. i think you should go with the marines.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Bladeweaver said:
IG is a pretty expensive are, money wise and are very confusing at times. i would recomend Space marines. You won't have to spend alot of Cash to get a strong force, and they can pretty much take care of themslves. Space marines are a really Tough army, and E-Z to learn. i think you should go with the marines.

All very true, but you might not be able to have the exact storyline for your army that you were thinking about if you go with Space Marines. You should check out the GW site and hit the Space Marines link to check them out and see if they're something you're interested in.

As a cost comparison, a core space marine army will run you US$105 for a Codex, two tactical squads, and an HQ. Comparatively speaking, an IG army will run you (as I'd mentioned previously) around US$190.

·
Registered
328 Posts
dude you can customize to your heart's content with the IG, they ARE expensive though

1 - 13 of 13 Posts