Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Wher dat naked blue chik?
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another one-off modeling project. For some reason I thought it would be fun to make a Plague Marine, and before you know it I was drilling holes and making epoxy bowels.... wait that just sounds wrong :X

These are un-edited pictures since resizing kills quality:
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/Jaffar_Hasad/Emperors%20Children/Nurglefront.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/Jaffar_Hasad/Emperors%20Children/Nurgleright.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/Jaffar_Hasad/Emperors%20Children/nurgleleft.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/Jaffar_Hasad/Emperors%20Children/Nurgleback.jpg

Well for conversion parts I used a piece of snake from a lizard men sprue (I think), flipped the exhausts on the pack and make them look like gooey cauldrons, and made the left arm to look like it's dragging the bolter like a zombie. The left foot will be painted as if the plate melted off, and the toes will be bone. Lastly I will be putting in some brains in the helmet hole.

·
Scenery Shogun
917 Posts
Nice modding work. I love the bubbling cauldron idea. Inever thought to do that!

Before reading the bottom blurb you typed I said to myself,
"it's got a zombie pose" like the left arm is dead and he's draggin that foot."

You pulled it off. I can't wait to see th brains done..ewwwwww.

·
Blood Boy
3,643 Posts
You can to a certain extent eliminate the problem of having to resize pictures by using a cropping tool and removing all the surrounding parts of the image and just leave the model.

Your Plague marine is very good I think. I like his posture, people rarely look into posture when converting miniatures. You have managed to capture the idea of a shambling undead/zombie marine very well. This makes him look undead but also adds a sense of movement (shambling) this is good as many models also lack movement.

·
Lord of Purple
933 Posts
This guy is looking really good, but one thing is bugging me. What are you going to do with the non-bolter arm? It just seems... unifinished. Really liking the cauldron idea for the backpacks, and looking forward to seeing how squishy you can make his brains :D. Will be waiting to see this painted! ;Y.

·
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The right arm will have more gooey strand things, maybe some snaking around his leg. The head will be brain free sadly. With the anatomy of the human head (which is somewhat like a space marine) the hole would be mostly the temporal bone. Not too much brains in there. Instead I took it to a whole new level. I drilled out the helmet from the bottom and hallowed it out a little more. Then I cut and filed a catachan head, and inserted it in there. It's not as amazing as brains and a dangling eye, but I have yet to see anything like it.

I'll get more pics soon after I work on it and the ork pirate a little more.

·
Lord of Purple
933 Posts
I guess if you really think about it, the presence of a skull there would be a no-brainer. :D *BA DUM DUM...PISH!*
Should be good to see what you do with it though ;Y.
Thinking about it, I'd really like to see how you'd do some of the other chaos legions, especially the god-specific ones. Maybe when you do more one-off projects these will come into reality ;).

·
1,646 Posts

·
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I started painting this guy up. It's also for the LO exchange, so could a mod please move this to painting, and title it 'LO Exchange Plague Marine' please?

·
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have never really done basing, so this is where I make my start. I'll be using that flat piece of GS on his foot in the pictures to make a puddle. It will be running from his open foot (in case anybody ever noticed the open toes on the left foot). I don't have any static grass, so I don't know what else to add. Maybe I could glue some GS shavings in splotches and paint them half green, half dark brown to show the decaying aura around him.

·
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I started on the color for the armor. I like how it turned out, but it'll probably lost while I try to paint the details. Curse my shaky hands =(

Full sized images are found
Here
and Here

(The colors look better in the full sized pictures. Resizing really kills quality for my camera)

·
Blood Boy
3,643 Posts
I think your painting is going well. I think you could add some more shading. Nurgle types are gross and generally don't wash in the cracks. You could try using some watered down black on a fine detail brush and put it in the cracks. This will help to make him look all icky and unclean!

About the base if you don't have static grass but you are looking for parts there are all kinds of places you can search. Go look in a spice rack. Spices are often powder but some are chopped up bits from some plant. You can easily glue these to the base of a model as grass or general shrubbery. However this will make the model smell. Remember to be careful not to take any PVA near spices somebody may want to eat. There are other less smelly things you can use and places to find them. Go poking and sniffing about in a garden and try to find moss. You can dry out moss and then break bits off of it. These bits can be used on bases too.;)

·
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't worry about the dirtiness. Once I paint in the rust around the holes and the green pus seeping out, it should look nice and dirty.

Does anybody have a suggestion of what color the trimmings should be? I don't know what would look good. Either a metallic or regular color. So many options, such little time.

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
The cracked helmet with the guys head inside is the icing on the cake for me here, that guy looks ruins to pieces too, your bullet holes look better than mine.

My question is for when you use green stuff, it looks as though it stays in a blob rather well, I don't know if I just wet mine too much but it is incredibly hard to control and as a result I don't get a look anywhere near what I was after.

Maybe its because milliput sucks? I don't know.

·
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't press the entire blob of GS down, just enough to get a little stick. Keep water away from this area you wanted stuck. I drilled a hole first like the rest of my bullet holes, then rolled the GS into a tear drop shape. From then I got the thing to stick, then took my trusted dental poker tool and jabbed the thin end into the hole. To get rid of any left over finger prints, just cover your finger in vasoline and give a gentle rub down.

·
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alrighty, another painting update. Not sure who's following this, but thanks to whoever even opens this.

..and here are the links to anyone who wants a clearer quality picture.
Front
Right
Left
Back

1 - 20 of 28 Posts