Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my local GW. My favorite store I can think of ever...after not being able to go due to work, since October.
Well I found out that they are closing the store on the 18th. I am livid, first off it is the only GW in the SE of the United States to my knowledge. They are profitable, were doing spectacular even with out proper management, and understaffed. Now the only place to go is one store about 20minutes further away, or one slightly closer, but might be going out of business soon due to financial issues (not due to the stupidity of GW). Why would they due this to their customers? Ive been in the store when people come from Florida to come to GAMES WORKSHOP, not an independent retailer. Same reason I go...
GAH.

Im sorry folks, if this is random and with out structure.

Anyone in the Georgia area north of Atlanta that plays 40k or fanasy?

·
Registered
762 Posts
i know how you feel... I don't think their is even a GW shop in Pennsylvania... and only a 1 Independent Retailer within driving distance (30 min)

Honestly I almost always buy online; It's guaranteed they have it

·
Registered
91 Posts
theres no gw within hundreds of miles of where i live. there was one near my bros house but they closed that one down now the closest one is in new york city uuhhhgg.

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
GW has done a massive pullback nationwide in the US. There are now none--zero--in all of New England. Like I'm gonna drive to Baltimore!

Good news, though: The overall plan, according to several documents from GW (such as annual reports to shareholders) is that they will be returning in force within the next year or so. They have given up on the "shopping mall" stores in urban areas, and will focus instead on suburban strip mall stores.

That's the plan, anyway. We'll see. For me, it adds up, as the two in the Metropolitan Boston area (only ones that were within my reach) were in big shopping malls.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
i know how you feel... I don't think their is even a GW shop in Pennsylvania... and only a 1 Independent Retailer within driving distance (30 min)

Honestly I almost always buy online; It's guaranteed they have it
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Where are you at in PA? There are only 2 independent retailers, and I think there might be a store in Philly, but I think that's been closed out of the mall. The two main IRs in the state are amazing though. If you're around Pittsburgh, those guys supposedly stock forgeworld gear on their shelves!

I've never had a truly positive experience at any GW, other than the Bunker in Maryland. Otherwise, they've always lacked any tablespace whatsoever, been full of irritating kids (nothing against kids, just the annoyingly immature ones), and had terrible staff, not to mention all the miserable rules about not being able to play certain games or use non-gw models in the store.
I'll take my local trader over GW any day, and that makes me proud.

·
Ender of Threads
1,306 Posts
They have given up on the "shopping mall" stores in urban areas, and will focus instead on suburban strip mall stores.
And with very good reason. My local GW got its start in the newest and busiest mall in town. It was great for traffic volume to get the word out, but that was the only benefit aside from the proximity to the food court for lunch. There was a constant stream of teenaged morons with nothing better to do than hang around tormenting and insulting the 'nerds' (it stopped pretty quick when they discovered that at least a dozen of the regulars, myself included, were literally twice their size, and two of us are Military Police!), the neighbouring stores were less than enthusiastic about the GW, the store itself was tiny, and the rent was probably crippling.

So about 2 years ago, they closed the mall location and relocated to the strip mall on the other side of the street. A simple move of about 200 meters brought us freedom from the mall idiots, three times the floor space, friendly neighbours - several of which benefit quite a bit from the GW crowd (supporting local businesses FTW!), and enough breathing room on the budget to nearly double the staff! Not to mention the freedom to set their own hours, which lets them do all sorts of neat stuff.

Sorry to hear you're losing your GW, deathula - hopefully they'll be back again someday.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I hear a lot of horror stories about GW stores being pretty lame especially to most peoples "cool" local independent store but, I would kill to have a GW near by. I have a store in my town that sells warhammer stuff (only store for miles and miles too) but, everything is faded and covered in dust. They constantly have the new releases but, I don't know why they bother ordering them because I swear I'm the only warhammer gamer in my town.

To give you an example of the type of gaming climate I'm living in: They ordered 1 copy of space hulk, put it out a week early and it didn't sell until I bought it.

I feel your pain because it's worse to have something and then lose it than to never have it! (unlike the old saying goes)

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
My GW wasn't bad, but yeah, even if they come back I'll still go to one of the two local independent retailers in my area. Can't get Vallejo paints in a GW store!

·
My backpack has JETS!
1,983 Posts
To those who are pimping their local indie retailer, we have nothing of the sort. We've got a Games Workshop store in the town but it's really, really small. There's two seats on a painting table and two 6x4 tables, that's it. Even though I order most of my stuff online, I've always known the staff so I pop in most of the time just to pick up paints and stuff like that. Friendly bunch.

But I would kill for a decent independent retailer not for the stock, but for the gaming scene. Some new folks to play with or tables to play on.

For those moaning about their rubbish local indie store, why not buy online? I mean, 25% discount hello?

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
For those moaning about their rubbish local indie store, why not buy online? I mean, 25% discount hello?
Not everybody likes buying stuff on the Internet. Discounts are nice, until you factor in shipping, which can be considerable depending on where the product is going. There's also the (in some cases) volume you need to buy to make the discount kick or be worth it in the first place. It can also be impossible to get support in case something breaks, is missing pieces, or gets lost in transit.

And me, usually if I haven't seen it in person, I don't want to buy it without sampling first, even if by "sampling" I mean holding in my hand and taking a good up-close look.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Where are you at in PA? There are only 2 independent retailers, and I think there might be a store in Philly, but I think that's been closed out of the mall. The two main IRs in the state are amazing though. If you're around Pittsburgh, those guys supposedly stock forgeworld gear on their shelves!
Allentown area, there is a Hobby Town near me, but they never stock everything so chances are I may not get what I wanted (the drive makes it worse) the Shop has tables but they stoped holding events last time I checked.

Buying online can be more convienent, but theres nothing like holding 2 boxes in your hands and having to choose between the two... then walking out of the store satisfied. I never feel satisfied after making an online purchase; just poorer.

·
Rushing Jaws
1,541 Posts
To those who are pimping their local indie retailer, we have nothing of the sort. We've got a Games Workshop store in the town but it's really, really small. There's two seats on a painting table and two 6x4 tables, that's it. Even though I order most of my stuff online, I've always known the staff so I pop in most of the time just to pick up paints and stuff like that. Friendly bunch.

But I would kill for a decent independent retailer not for the stock, but for the gaming scene. Some new folks to play with or tables to play on.

I never really thought about why so many people talk about Inependent Retailers when I barely ever see one, but now I realise why. Having a whole state with no GW store does sound quite poor. Not that I think GW stores are great, it's just that I though they would have a greater prescense in the US than that. Here in the UK you don't come across many good indepenent retailers, because just about every town of a decent size has it's own GW store.

·
859 Posts
GW flopped relatively in America :( They're focusing on expanding the number of UK stores now and smaller scale expansion in Europe.

·
King of the Burning Sands
1,258 Posts
Are you guys kidding me? The GW stores blow. There's no room to play, the manager's are douche bags more often than not, and they treat veterans like crap. The one near me discourages veterans from showing up and its practically a daycare center on the weekends. Good riddance I say, support your local home grown store, aight?

[edit]And the reason they failed in America is because the upper management there stinks and doesn't know what it is doing. Promoting growth of non-GW stores would have been the best way to go about it. Hobbies isn't about set up of the store and the look, its about the people you play with. If the people that work there are idiots... then well, we see what happens.

Another thing... the GW store I went to in UK back in teh day, wasn't very big. enough for two games and only 1500 pts on per player

·
My backpack has JETS!
1,983 Posts
There's no room to play, the manager's are douche bags more often than not, and they treat veterans like crap.
Careful... 8people bites! ;)

But yes, I agree to some extent. I haven't played in a GW store for quite some time. Luckily I can afford to build my own gaming board and I have friends to play with, so it doesn't bother me much.

·
859 Posts
I bite because I care ;)

I can't really speak for US stores, but the only disappointment with UK stores is when it was a 'boys' hobby about ten years ago so going into a store with friends resulted in an effect akin to a dandy walking into a wild western saloon and requesting a cocktail in a flamboyant manner.

The managers are also not taught about product placement and arranging the store, so some stores are admittedly poorly planned - which is why the UK stores are grouped together and managers share ideas (as with any hobbyist though - you will find a stubborn one who will just say no, then complain about his store not doing too good...) you will also get the odd store who won't support a local gaming club - that's often the gaming club making dumb requests though, you get morons wherever you go.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Thats what I love most about my indie store. I haven't had very many experiences with actual GW stores(browsed two), but I assume you can only really play GW games there.

My friends and I game away entire Saturdays at the comic shop. We play GW games starting 10am, play a boardgame or Monsterpocalypse (before or after getting some food), then play an RPG in the back while the MtG players are taking up the gaming area later that night. We can do it all, in one friendly location. Also, there's always the chance that someone comes in for comics/collectibles or what-have-you, and they step back to the gaming area and say, "Ooh, what's this you're playing?" Good potential for player recruitment.

A GW exclusive store might be a bit too niche, really. It just seems to me like most of their customers would be people already familiar with their products; that they possibly rely too heavily on player referral and store location to garner more potential customer traffic. Maybe branching out to some slightly different products(they are taking very small steps in this, I think) might draw in some more folks, who might then be interested in GW staples.

Take a good look at how department stores work. They place all the essentials in the very back, so that you walk by the other products. You just might see something else and buy it. Even our indie comic shop is set up this way. Its mainly a comic shop, yet all the comics are on the back wall of the product area. Any comic book shopper has to walk by all the RPGs, card games, boardgames, and miniature games. If anyone is interested and asks a question, the proprieter directs them back to the gaming area to talk to us. We might just get a new player.

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
I never really thought about why so many people talk about Inependent Retailers when I barely ever see one, but now I realise why. Having a whole state with no GW store does sound quite poor. Not that I think GW stores are great, it's just that I though they would have a greater prescense in the US than that. Here in the UK you don't come across many good indepenent retailers, because just about every town of a decent size has it's own GW store.
Land mass might be an issue too. Even BEFORE GW pulled back (as I mentioned before, only temporarily in the US), it was a fool's errand to think you could have the same per capita saturation of GW stores in the US that you have in the UK. I don't think that's ever been the plan, hence the prevalence of indie retailers.

I, for one, love my indies. As has been said, it's good to be exposed to non-GW hobby products, even if all we're talking about is paints, tools and glue (as opposed to entire gaming systems like Warmachine, AT-43, Flames of War, etc.). Both the stores near me are run by a solid bunch of guys, and both have a fairly decent gaming community.

Only trouble is, indie retailers are entirely on their own, and can shut up overnight (as another one I knew did). That's the really ugly flip-side to independent stores.

·
Rushing Jaws
1,541 Posts
Land mass might be an issue too. Even BEFORE GW pulled back (as I mentioned before, only temporarily in the US), it was a fool's errand to think you could have the same per capita saturation of GW stores in the US that you have in the UK. I don't think that's ever been the plan, hence the prevalence of indie retailers.

I, for one, love my indies. As has been said, it's good to be exposed to non-GW hobby products, even if all we're talking about is paints, tools and glue (as opposed to entire gaming systems like Warmachine, AT-43, Flames of War, etc.). Both the stores near me are run by a solid bunch of guys, and both have a fairly decent gaming community.

Only trouble is, indie retailers are entirely on their own, and can shut up overnight (as another one I knew did). That's the really ugly flip-side to independent stores.
Yeah I agree, I'd rather have a good indie store to go to rather than a GW. But, i'm not one of these people who goes to a store to game, so the complaints about gaming in a GW store don't apply to me. The only times I ever play are rarely at the university games society or in the comfort of my own home, so all i want the sotres are is for buying stuff.

I never expected that GW would have as many stores in the US as in the UK, but I didn't really think about the fact that the huge size of the country plus less GW stores means that most people are left a very long way from their nearest store. It does make for a good breeding ground for indie retailers. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.