Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
NCIS fan
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning fellow IG,

As I sat down to review my list, I've noticed I'm quite far away from the force I actually wanted. New codex, new toys? Maybe. Though I can't think up of a good excuse at the moment.

My main goal was to have troops on foot (with ACs), to have tanks to back them up (3 demolishers), and a few vet squads to run down flanks and/or take objectives.

A balance list was a secondary thought, but now with the new gamers in the area I'll be facing every list in 40k (probably).

Any and all help is welcome!

:beer:

*PS - With 3 demolishers in my list, the valks are having fewer targets. I'm planning to phase them out, or I may just keep the 1 anti-troop valk I have. Must they carry a unit or no?*

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
That sort of list sounds pretty balanced, can't really go wrong with it. I would say that a valkyrie is still useful due to the outflank move it can make, this gives you some good late game reach, something that you will lack with the demolishers. What size army is it you're wanting to do? Do you want to write a sample list so we can get a feel for what you're trying to achieve?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
To answer your question, you do not have to take a squad with the valkrye, since its not considered a dedicated transport and has its own entry under fast attack. You're good on that front. :)

As for dropping the Valkrye, might I recommend swapping them for a vendetta? It'll give you some extra long range anti-tank to back up your auto cannons, and in a pinch can be useful to contest points in case your veterans can't cover it. Demolishers work wonders, but the vendetta or two might att that extra dynamic that forces your opponent to wonder what you're going to do.

An idea that some people may not like, since you're foot slogging it, you could probably fit in a squad of power armour grey knights. They'll help stave off the inevitable assault, and with their S6 weapons (though not power weapons, sadly), will be enough to scare away most vehicles. Pair them up with a couple of incinerators or psycannons and you'll be set in whatever situation you come across.

The more I think about that, the more I like it. Grey Knights can survive shooting mostly fine, and while you might not want to rely on the shrouding to keep them alive, it comes in handy. They've got enough tricks up their sleeves to make them a rather large threat of their own, and people will dedicated an overly large amount of firepower their way to kill them, leaving your veteran squads untouched for the couple of turns they'll need. Forcing your enemy to choose between PAGKs, who are very powerful within 24 inches, or Demolishers, which likewise are powerful within 24 inches, will leave your longer range units free to pepper the enemy!

·
Torn ACL FTL
4,404 Posts
That seems fairly well balanced, just make sure you have enough armor to grab objectives.

Normally I run Valks and Vendies differently. Valks carry Sisters or Demo Vets to alpha strike and give me lots of firepower at midfield early on. Vendettas either carry cheap scoring units like SWS or PCS, an Inquisitor if a Chimera can't be spared, or nothing so they can pick up units that have lost their transport or at risk of dying in KP game.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts