Votes: 11 45.8%
  • You want a mixture

Votes: 10 41.7%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was talking to a fellow necron player at my club who owns 27 immortals and he vouched for them completley and said they trumped destroyers. It got abit heated because I have 9 (3x3) destroyers but after re reading the codex I see he made some good points. So, Which is a better all round choice?
Destroyers Pros
Higher strenth gun
Faster
can turboboost
Can serve as an anti transport unit
Less vunerable to blast templates

Immortals Pros
More of them means harder to prevent wbb
Can use cover without taking dangerous terrain checks
Number of wbb means averages are more reliable.
Cheaper

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
Destroyers are better than immortals in every way that matters outside of cost.

The main reason being they provide range and mobility in an army that typically lacks both on their infantry that cannot be subsidised by heavy/special weapons.

Make no mistake immortals are amazing, but I would go for destroyers first in 90% of lists simply because they cover a huge hole in the necron army list.

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
In terms of which is best all round, its definitely Destorers. Saying that, give me a unit of Immortals any day. Point for Point, they are far more reliable given their Unit size. That is really the deciding factor. 3-5 Destroyers dont last long, but the same points worth of Imms tend to be pretty resilient due to their numbers, and the fact they also have T5.

Of course, when i did used to play, i always took both :) They both have their roles in the army.

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
As an Ork player, I have to say that I'm far more afraid of Immortals than I am of Destroyers.

Regardless of what army you're facing, the lack of armor in the necron army (besides the AR14 monster monolith) means that there's nothing for players to use their long range S7-8 shooting on besides the destroyers. With nothing to draw fire away, the destroyers most likely won't last long.

Immortals, on the other hand, are not only more likely to survive through numbers (and we'll be back), but anti-infantry fire will have to be split between them and virtually everything else in the army.

Regardless, I think a 'mix' of both types of units is the best choice. It's always best to be versatile.

·
1,880 Posts
Destroyers hands down. Other than WBB (just take other warriors, or fill in remaining points with some immortals) my destroyers are one of the biggest threats I have out there with a Ctan and a Monolith.

1 Destroyer 3 S6 shots at 36" and 12" movement, plus turboboosting. Means they should never be assaulted!

2 Immortals are about the same cost 4 S5 shots at 24" and have to foot slog it. Sure they are equal in toughness, however you can't PEN transports which are spammed left and right in 5th. Since they're slow, all my opponents wants to do is assault me. Everyone knows we suck, so there's no reason to hold back. Charge the line and wipe the floor with you. In my opinion for ONE less shot, but gaining pen, movement, and range....destroyers are superior. I field 2 five man squads myself. 30 shots a turn from turn one (if not night fight) is awsome.

·
No Life King
2,819 Posts
I never really understand this argument. Immortals and Destroyers are both fantastic units, there is no reason to not have both in your force in most games.

Destroyers always fill the roll of high priority targeting in my lists, targeting the nastiest units from afar and gunning them down. Once the destroyers whittle away at something for a round or two it usually crumbles. Their mobility is a means to get in position of these targets effectively.

Immortals form a solid block of heavy infantry and provide a wall of anti-infantry fire. When enemy units are getting into that too-close for comfort range, Immortals' massed fire always (ok, usually) sends them off. Also the sheer durability of the unit is often astounding, I had 6 of them sit through a punching match with genestealers for 3 rounds recently. If I'm fielding VoD, my Immortals become a second priority-target annihilator.

Comparing these to units just doesn't make sense, one is a high speed fire support squad, meant to cut the enemy's big nasties down, the other is for slaying infantry en-mass. Granted they have enough versatility to overlap one anothers' roles, but this just makes them even more impressive.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Personally I used Destroyers for 2 reasons. Firstly, they were plastic (We 'ates the metals we do!) and secondly they provided me with nasty quick moving horrific fire power.

I did try to convert destroyer torsos to make plastic Immortals as a nails bodyguard for my Lord. But it proved prohibitively expensive and complicated.

·
Registered
406 Posts
For the purposes of the poll, I've voted a mixture of both. Allow me to explain why.

As Alzer points out, you can't really compare the two as they are designed for almost entirely different roles.

Destroyers are excellent all-round. Their movement range allows you to cover gaps in your flanks while the gauss cannon is excellent from shredding some of the heavier units or transports. You are unlikely to be assaulted because you'll just pull away from them. The only 'draw-back' is that you have only 3 to 5 wounds in a squadron and most opponents tend to focus their intended anti-vehicle weaponry at them.

Immortals are also excellent in their own respect. They are incredibly resilient troops with their T5, WBB and 5 to 10 wounds and have immense infantry slaying power with their gauss blasters. The assault type of their weapons allows you to maintain suppressive and/or aggressive fire while on the move, somewhat valuable in covering fellow necron warriors. Especially when playing objectives, a squad of immortals with warriors will make it extremely difficult for the opponent to shift you from the objective. But of course, they suffer from CC as they cannot avoid CC easily and the I of 2 can somewhat hurt when things don't work in their favour.

While I would take both whenever possible, destroyers get the priority as they are needed to provide swift firepower and the warriors can already fulfil the role of marching firepower. Typically, if I have the points, the destroyers and already have two warrior squads, then I would take on immortals.

Just my thoughts.

·
RAWR! KROXIGOR!!
1,935 Posts
Many people seem to make the arguement that Destroyers are better then Immortals due to the fact that they have more shots and are just as tough. This is just false (though the speed advantage is not, and puts the units at least on par in my book).

Assuming equal points of Destroyers and Immortals, the Destroyers will have 56% the wounds and 84% the shots of the Immortals. And of course the Immortals can more easily use cover.

I voted for a mixture. Frankly I would never write a list without getting close to the max 30 Immortals and 15 Destroyers, simply because they are so good (and the rest of the codex is so not).

·
Registered
370 Posts
Voted destroyers. Cause i use them. The only reason i don't use immortals cause it costs $13.25 for one. So for eight thats like around $100. I got three with my battleforce and bought two more and they work great.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Destroyers,

i love immortals but they only work if Veiling i find,

Destroyers just are superior but expensive,also the fact they can last turn objective contest is great.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I voted on a mix - as each plays an important roll. Imms for VoD as well as adding to phase out and Destroyers for transport/walker hunting.

Though - I've a clarification that I need cleared up along the same line.... Destroyers can move and shoot (irregardless of the Heavy 3 profile on the weapon) - but - Can they turbo boost and shoot?

Not meaning to hijack this thread, so just a quick answer or point me to a GW FAQ that states it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm really glad I came across this thread cuz it got me thinking. I love using my Destroyers normally and use a unit of 5. Doing this I can field one of my most effective units, Wraiths. After doing some calculations with the help of my bro I have found that 10 immortals is slightly more effective against T4 models and equal in effectiveness against T5 models. Now aside from personal preference on play style and how often you break the traditional phalanx formation, harnessing the power of up to 3 units of immortals (30 models) with 3 units (9 models) of explosively powerful wraiths if ran side by side with a Necron Lord on a Destroyer body w/ a warscythe. That's pretty tough stuff if you plan on fending off close combat units that get to close. On the other hand if your all about the shooty aspect... why not 3 units of both Destroyers and Immortals. "The_Outsider" made a great point about being able to instant death.

If Immortals are too expensive to buy try out the conversion you can find on this site and others to turn warriors into immortals. That's my action plan :p

·
Registered
804 Posts
Destroyers and immortals are both very effective necron units. I believe that they are just as good as each other and any necron army 1k+ should include both, why? Because a necron lord needs a bodyguard and immortals are tougher than destroyers. So I say that if you take them as a bodyguard immortals are a LOT better. For all other purposes use destroyers. Or in other words, 1 unit of immortals per foot lord, no more, no less. The rest should be spent on destroyers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.