Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Knight-Champion
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'd been wanting a glance at this book for a while and after a brief thumb through (my local GW manager kindly opened the shrink wrap without making me buy it first, which was nice of him), I have to say I have a bit of a mixed reaction to it.

Some of the stuff in the book is brilliant, don't get me wrong, and it's nice to have a quick reference book to help us better incorporate some of the more pominent FW models into 40k (albeit Apocalypse, but this is where they are best suited afterall), but there were a couple of things that niggled at me:

Errors & Omissions - the book is full of them. Typos, spelling errors, options not properly listed - it's as if no one has proofread it. I'm a bit of a spelling and grammar fascist but some of the mistakes were glaringly obvious.

Pointless Formations - some of the battle formations seem a bit redundant, or have no point whatsoever - a couple of good examples being: The Death Rider Comapny, which costs 25 points and is simply A LOT of Rough Riders, with no extra strategic asset or special rules apart from the fact they are forced to deploy together - a bit dissapointing considering their description talks about their mounts being "ferocious, strong and hardly, able to withstand terrible wounds and keep charging", and The Amroured Fist Reconnaisance Company, for which fielding a full company costs 25 pts more but offers no additional benefit!

Repition vs Inclusion - I know Imperial Armour books like to keep differnet tank variants distinct, but for a book this size, there are 3 Maclador variants with their own pages, 3 Macharius variants with their own pages, and 3 Baneblade variants with their own pages, but no inclusion of some of the tanks I personally prefer - including the Destroyer Tank Hunter (which currently has different rules depending on whether you read IA1 or the Armoured Company list and could do with clearing up), the Bombard (which is featured in one of the battle formations), or any of the Leman Russ variants used by AC but never put down print outside of IA1. Clearly this book was not intended to let people find an easy way into using Forge World models in Apocalypse, but rather a way of making people buy the other, higher pricetag books.

That being said, it's still a nice book with lots of good model shots and some nice new ideas in (I especially like the rules for Fortress Walls, I think I sense a construction project coming for me!), but I can't help feeling they could have done so much more with it.

That's my 2 pennies anyway, feel free to dispute otherwise, I'd be happy to be convinced!

·
Supreme Evil Overlord
4,873 Posts
The reason why some tanks aren't in it is because they don't need revised rules, this books details only with those units that needed change due to apocalypse.
Other than the glaring errors in the book it's a nice book for it's price.

·
Charitably Tables People
1,500 Posts
The largest problems typo-wise are:

1) The drone flyer for the Tau is shown with structure points, but not as a "super heavy" ... fortunatley, this is somewhat addressed in the Apoc rules by the fact that structure points = super heavy, even though it doesn't say that.

2) There are several cases where S10 weapons are listed as "Destroyer" weapons. According to the Apoc book, these weapons SHOULD read D for strength, OR should not be destroyers. The best guess the local GW manager and I could come up with is that they are S10, but add +1 to the vehicle damage charts.

There are plenty of others ... but honestly, anyone expecting polished products from Games Workshop or its subsidiaries is fooling him or herself. They're just not capable of doing that aspect of publication well.

·
Registered
281 Posts
This book is something that a group of people should have one copy of, but not more than that. Since it's mostly dealing with Apoc formations, once you have found the stuff you want, then it's a simple matter of keeping it in mind when you play it. Not too much fun in terms of fluff etc.

However, if you are a marine player, and always wanted to assault out of drop pods, you can now. There's a Drop Pod variant that lets you assault on the turn you land. Granted it's only 5 men per pod and counts as a flyer, but with the new Drop Pod formation that gives you careful planning, you can get a massive assault game in turn 2. Also let's not forget the new cheesy Deathwind Drop Pod variant. Every time I want to field this thing it makes me wonder how it every got approved :p

·
555 Posts
The largest problems typo-wise are:

1) The drone flyer for the Tau is shown with structure points, but not as a "super heavy" ... fortunatley, this is somewhat addressed in the Apoc rules by the fact that structure points = super heavy, even though it doesn't say that.

Supposedly there's errata for this somewhere indicating that its a typo, and the 3 structure points of the drone fighter actually belong to the Marauder Gunship.

·
1,065 Posts
so...like i don't know what imperial armour is. Is it a seperate game? becayse it was made before apoc was out..

·
Charitably Tables People
1,500 Posts
There is errata after all about the Tau structure point flyer, etc.

·
Registered
668 Posts
so...like i don't know what imperial armour is. Is it a seperate game? becayse it was made before apoc was out..
Imperial Armour (Or IA-1,2,3,4 whatever) is a series of books, kind of like codices that have datasheets and rules for non-standard 40K things. Some examples are specific rules for Elysian Drop Troops and Death Korps of Krieg, Rules on Flyers, many Forge World variants of tanks, and so on. Basically if you have to ask your opponent if its okay to use it, it's probably in one of the Imperial Armor books.

·
Hero of War
1,348 Posts
Imperial Armour (Or IA-1,2,3,4 whatever) is a series of books, kind of like codices that have datasheets and rules for non-standard 40K things. Some examples are specific rules for Elysian Drop Troops and Death Korps of Krieg, Rules on Flyers, many Forge World variants of tanks, and so on. Basically if you have to ask your opponent if its okay to use it, it's probably in one of the Imperial Armor books.
Which book is the Death Korps of Krieg stuff in? I was browsing through all that last night as I'm thinking about starting a Guard army, and I thought they looked awesome!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Pointless Formations - some of the battle formations seem a bit redundant, or have no point whatsoever - a couple of good examples being: The Death Rider Comapny, which costs 25 points and is simply A LOT of Rough Riders, with no extra strategic asset or special rules apart from the fact they are forced to deploy together - a bit dissapointing considering their description talks about their mounts being "ferocious, strong and hardly, able to withstand terrible wounds and keep charging", and The Amroured Fist Reconnaisance Company, for which fielding a full company costs 25 pts more but offers no additional benefit!
Well I think the point of the two examples you gave would be that it releases you from the restrictions on unit size. Where you could just field 10 squads of 10 Rough Riders in apocalypse, it makes it a little easier for movement and shooting's sake to just say 1 squad of 100. So it's not really pointless, just kind of lame. I would have liked to see some special rules for those formations too. It's such a tease to see all those models and a good description and then have it just say that the special rules are "it's a big ass squad".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts