Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to loyalist Marines and after having a look through the codex I've tried to come up with an army list in 500pt increments which would be coimpetitive without being absolutely cheesy. Any comments/thoughts about how it could fare on the tabletop would be appreciated. Each "block" represents approx 500pts. Any blocks after the first are largely interchangeable so if you can comment on each block and the order you would add them to the army that too would be great.

Master of the Forge
Scout squad with sniper rifles
Tac Squad w. Missile Launcher, Plasma Gun
Thunderfire Cannon

10 Devastators, 2x ML, 2x PC
Tac Sq - LC, FL, Powerfist + Razorback
Landspeeder w. Multi-melta

5 Terminators w. Assault Cannon, Chainfist
Dreadnought w. Plasma Cannon
Scouts w. Shotguns

Thoughts/comments most definitely appreciated. Space Marine noob <---

·
The Future
4,848 Posts
Master of the Forge
Scout squad with sniper rifles
Tac Squad w. Missile Launcher, Plasma Gun
Thunderfire Cannon
Any reason your force is led by a MotF? Without any vehicles to repair and with no Conversion Beamer he seems pretty ineffectual. I'd swap him for a Chaplain myself - inv save AND power weapon for 100 points, with some nifty rules.

The Tactical Squad needs a powerfist imo, and probably a transport. With that in mind, I'd drop the TFC - those point can get you the aforementioned powerfist, a rhino or razorback and a heavy weapon for the scouts (heavy bolter being the better option). Plasma guns are also a bit dangerous, I'd take a meltagun instead.

10 Devastators, 2x ML, 2x PC
Tac Sq - LC, FL, Powerfist + Razorback
Landspeeder w. Multi-melta
Now this is how a tactical squad should look! This is a pretty good block if you like Devestators - personally I do, but a lot of people will recommend against them. It depends on your play style.

5 Terminators w. Assault Cannon, Chainfist
Dreadnought w. Plasma Cannon
Scouts w. Shotguns
I don't really like scouts with shotguns - you'd be better off with another 5 snipers. Aside from that, it's all good.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good point about the MotF. To answer, I've always liked the IF background and fluff, so envisioned using this as a defensive force fighting against larger armies in themed games, albeit with the option to take them to tournaments and not suck completely!

The plan was to use the MotF in conjunction with the Techmarine (for the TF Cannon) to bolster ruins, effectively creating a fairly tough gunline that will force people to run right into me. The MotF isn't too shabby in CC, nor is the regular techmarine. When expanded out to 1000pts I can further beef out the gunline.

A Chaplain was the other option and one I'll definitely reconsider using now.

However r.e. the conversion beamer - to me it looked pretty bad really, am I missing something? I can't imagine ever getting a long enough shot off to make it more than the mid-power hit.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought I was in the army list section, sorry :(
----------
That's why most people put it on a bike.
Really? Even the max power one doesn't seem like it's THAT good, i.e. worthy of the trouble taken to stick it on a bike for the express purpose of getting far enough away yet still have LoS on the target!

Then again, I am admittedly completely in the dark about it so ty for the advice :)

·
Festo Diata
917 Posts
Conversion Beamers are great for blowing up vehicles in your opponents backfield. When the Forge Master is on a Bike, you can get good positioning most of the time. This is a great way to keep a lot of pressure on your opponent's armor while staying mobile (and tough). The Forge Master also has a good Ballistic Skill to prevent very much scatter. The odds are good that you will hit, even if you stray just a little. I like this idea.

Forge Master! Forge Faster!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.