Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, Chux here

Ongoing Imperial Fist army, some of the few finished (and 90% finished) models that i've got, click for larger images.

Chief Librarian Franz Grenstein Complete (Space Hulk Conversion, got me to the state finals of Golden Demon Sydney)
Toy Electric blue Machine Mecha Collectable

Some minor issues with this model mean I'm probably gonna retouch the robes, his book and his accessories. Tried some directional lighting from directly top down, overall quite happy with him as a centrepiece model.

Missle Launcher -Devastator Squad - 3rd Company COMPLETE
Toy Mecha Machine Collectable Fictional character

Went a little overboard with highlights, a lot of people have said that this one is perhaps a little too light in colour.
The base is made from plasticard squares, as the devastators usually sit inside one of my ruins.
Red is brighter than i'm going to have it in the rest of my army.

Tactical Marine - Tactical Squad Agni - 3rd Company (90% done. Yellow is down, at least.)
Happy with the streamlined highlights, a lot of people at my store prefer the highlights on this model.
Just need to finish the boltgun, grenades, purity seal and dead iron warrior on the base.

Comments and feedback welcome, Enjoy.

Attachments

·
Eh?
454 Posts
Ooooh, these guys are lovely, really well done on all three. I really like the Librarian and his force weapon. Its an awesome model, and you have more than done it justice.

As for the normal marines, I've got to be honest I prefer the highlights on the devastator marine. For me marines deserve bold highlights to make them look suitably 'heroic'. But thats just my two cents :)

Anyway, I was wondering what your method for doing yellow is, as you seem to have one very well cracked!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Oh very nice yellow there, nice and smooth. The ML Dev unit looks the best imo. The highlights and wash are very nicely done, plus love the blue eyes. The librarian is great too, did you highlight the blue? Cant totally tell.

Overall great work though, cant wait to see more

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sovietspace - Thanks, I was happy with the librarian, but the more I look at him the more I want to pick at things, since it has been 3 months since I painted him,, i'll include a list of my method for yellow underneath. The tactical marine's highlights were a lot quicker and will be how I do the majority of the army.

Laniguy - The models aren't washed, it's been blended up from a pure golden yellow up through sunburst to white. The Librarian has been highlighted as well, his armour was my first attempt at blending.

I'll include pictures of the librarian from other sides, as well as my sternguard veterans soon.

Imperial Fist Yellow (Bold Yellow)

1) White undercoat, be careful not to lay on too thickly, as there are many coats of yellow, and a thick white coat which may not obscure detail at first, will end up with either a poor yellow or thick paint.

All coats I am about to mention should be very watered down. Add enough water so that when you drag your brush through it, the paint flows back through the area you dragged it into. Also, when you paint on your palette, it should be mostly opaque, as completely opaque is near impossible with yellow.

2) A 3:1 mix of Golden Yellow:Iyanden Darksun should be applied over the areas which will become yellow. 2 coats if necessary, but not too dark.

3) consecutive coats of a watered down golden yellow, averaging around 4-5 coats per model.

4) Blend up the armour using your 3 tones of sunburst yellow -> sunburst/skull white for major raised areas -> skull white for the brightest edges.

5) apply small amounts of snakebite leather or bestial brown into recesses (ensure a steady hand, as getting brown on the yellow is a near-irreversible mistake).

Prepare to take your time on the first few models before you do this to an army, rushing will end up with thick coats of paint or translucent coats of yellow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts