Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Author's note:
Please read the first paragraph, before the report. Be warned, i may moan alot, but i am keeping it to a minimum because you need to see both sides of my opponent and i don't want you to read a biased report, because.
1: It isn't fun to read a biased report or view.
2: If i want you to decide something, i should keep my personal opinions to a minimum.

Warning this battle report is contagious and you will want to read the whole thing. I would suggest you read the whole report before commenting here, because all of this report will make up your mind, not a section. Also your blood may boil, or not, but you decide. Lastly, i will appreciate coments about this battlereport more than any other thread i have ever made, but please do not feel pressured to comment just because i want you to.

So, before we go into the battle report. There are a few things you should know, my opponent, Craig who is not on this forum. Had a rule fight in this thread, i would suggest you to read my opening psot in this thread before moving on through this thread.

Author's note:
Some LO members may have seen this when i was a young LO member.

http://www.librarium-online.com/for...al-500points-ig-guy-tried-use-against-me.html

Ok to the battle report now:

My list:

MARSHAL NOVA'S CRUSADE OF THE LAST!
( Black Templars )

1x Emperor's Champion
1x Abhor the witch vow

1x Marshal
1x Bolt Pistol
1x Chainsword

Crusader squad 1

7x Initiates
1x Power Fist
1x Rhino
1x Extra armour
1x Smoke Launchers

Crusader squad 2

7x Initiates
1x Power Fist
1x Rhino
1x Extra armour
1x Smoke Launchers

Crusader squad 3

7x Initiates
1x Power Fist
1x Rhino
1x Extra armour
1x Smoke Launchers

Crusader squad 4

7x Initiates
1x Power Fist
1x Rhino
1x Extra armour
1x Smoke Launchers

1x Land speeder
1x Multi-melta
1x Heavy flamer

1x Land speeder
1x Multi-melta
1x Heavy flamer

1x Land speeder
1x Multi-melta
1x Heavy flamer

1x Vindicator

1x Vindicator

1 point over a believe?

COMMANDER CRAIG'S IMPERIAL GUARD

1x Company Command squad
1x Regimental Flag
1x Iron Hand Straken
1x Master of the ordinance
1x Officer of the fleet

1x Techpriest

1x Techpriest

1x Marbo

1x Platoon Command Squad
1x Commander Chenkov

10x Guardsmen
1x Lascannon
1x Vox caster

10x Guardsmen
1x Lascannon
1x Vox caster

10x Guardsmen
1x Lascannon
1x Vox caster

10x Guardsmen
1x Lascannon
1x Vox caster

1x Heavy Weapons team
3x Autocannon

1x Heavy Weapons team
3x Autocannon

1x Veteran Squad
2x Melta gun
1x plasma gun
1x Demo charge doctraine
1x carapace armour doctrine

1x Armoured sentinel
1x Plasma cannon

1x Leman russ
1x Lascannon
1x Heavy bolter sponsors

1x Leman russ
1x Lascannon
1x Heavy bolter sponsors

1x Leman russ
1x Lascannon
1x Heavy bolter sponsors

(Ohhhh. you will want to know the points cost of his army at the end of the game it will make your blood boil so steam comes out of your ears, why you ask? He laughed at me for not having a list, i knew what i was taking and wrote the list and showed him. He didn't make one on paper and did it in his head and told me, i couldn't tell how close he was to 1500 points but it looked close enough.)

What game?

Game type: Annihilation ( Kill Points )
Deployment type: Pitched Battle ( 12 inch deployment from chosen table edge )
Who deploys first?: Craig
Recap: 1500 points

Acronyms ( Will be used through out the battlereport ):

Batrep - battle report
BT = Black Templar
LS = Land Speeder
PCS = Platoon Command squad
CCS = Company command squad
IS = Infantry squad
EC = Emperor's champion
RUSS = leman russ battle tank
ORB = orbital bombardment
LC = lascannon
PG = plasma gun
LOS = line of sight
AC = autocannon
DZ = Deployment Zone
DS = Deepstrike
EA = Extra Armour
SL = Smoke launchers
MOS = Master of ordinance
OFF = Officer of the fleet
HB = Heavy bolter

Table description.

My side:
My left is blocked off my a building a large one and a barricade so rhinos can't go through. Plus a small building to my right about 12 inches from my edge.

The middle:
A bastion and one tree about 12 inches from my right halfway up the board.

Craig's side:
One tree to his bottom right and a building to his right about 8 inches from his left hand side and about 4 inches away from his deployment edge. the building ehre is 12 inches by 12 inches with only a little bit with some levels. ther rest is flat land really with no cover.

Deployment
!

Imperial guard deployment: ( Craig )
Ok, so he places a IS with a lascannon to his bottom right and he places a HWT with AC in the trees on his right, then he places his CCS between them but on the edge of his DZ. He then places a IS with a lascannon in the middle of his DZ about a few inches up or more. then he places the 2nd HWT with AC in the building to his left, plus Chenkov and his PCS in the building and a leman russ touching his left side line 12 inches up from his DZ. A tech priest is behind the leman russ.

Black Templar deployment: ( ME! )
I deploy a vindicator fairly in the middle of my DZ 12 inches up and a rhino is on his right. plus a land speeder behind the rhino. Then a vindicator is deployed about 12 inches from my right sideline and the vindicators left side armour si side to side against the building and there is a rhino slanted sideways on the right hand side of the vindicator. There are two rhinos hiding behind that side slanted rhino pkus a land speeder towards my far right sqeezes in behind the rear armour of the slanted rhino. The third land speeder is in DS

THE GAME ITSELF!

Author’s note:
Warning, if you can't understand why i carried on playing this game, then scroll down to the bottom of the thread to find out.

I seized the initiative!

My turn 1:

The vindicator(1) nearest to the centre of the DZ moves 6 inches towards the middle bastion and the rhino(1) beside it moves a full 12 right behind the cover of trees, but not 50% covered. The next vindicator(2) moves up 6 as well and so does the rhino(2) beside it. The two rhinos behind rhino(2) move 6 inches and behind a barricade and LS(1) moves flat out and is in between the building and the LRBT(1). LS2 moves up and takes a pot shot at the russ and does nothing on just warming up the crew inside the tank to tropical levels.

Vindicator(1) shoots at an infantry squad and kills 2 guys and vindicator(2) shoots at a HWT and does nothing. rhino(1) and rhino(2) smoke.

Guard turn 1:
No movement, but my opponent then starts to issue orders. Fire on my target four times from what? The PCS and the CCS, I tell him check the rulebook. He checks and there is no fire on my target rule on page (36 I think) and then checks the CCS page and says he can’t find where the junior officer gets it ( well durr that’s because it doesn’t say the junior officer can have the orders….) and then says , “I will prove it to you and points a finger at me, menacingly and stop being so picky” *aggressive high tone*.

Author’s note:
At this point I refrain myself from frowning, picky? Picky? Ooo the nerve, but I let him take it.

Leman russ opens up on the rhino and just stuns rhino(2), but extra armour is bliss. The HWT AC in the building immobilise my vindicator. Great…. And chenkov plasma deaths the LS1 and I checked the rulebook, where the hell is the flat out cover save +4? There is none that I can find and I give up, to prevent frustrating my opponent. The preceding lascannons and autocannons and orbital bombardment ( we used large blast for the orbing, but I checked after the game and we should have used something else, my fault to be honest on that part, due to thinking gws had sense to put it as that). Just shaked a few more rhinos and wrecked rhino(1) and I lost 1 marine due to orbing.

Black Templars: 0
Imperial Guard: 2

My turn 2:
LS(3) fails to turn up, apparently still sick from motion sickness ( because templars love fighting on something solid not on a confined land speeder. Vindicator(1) moves 6 inches towards the middle bastion and the marines from wrecked rhino(1) move towards the trees and half of the squad stay behind the rhino. Rhino(2) moves up behind the tress but just a bit further up and rhino(3) moves up behind trees as well, but rhino(4) gets immobilised in the barricade!

Vindicator(1) fires again and kills another man from the same IS. Vindicator(2) does nothing and I smoke rhino(3) and LS(2) turns the leman russ into dust with a multi-melta. Take some of that ^^, he was surprised when I said melta weapons get 2D6 penetration when at half range, he had never heard of it…., if he had. He would have shot at the second speeder as well.

Guard turn 2:
Marbo turns up right in the trees right next to my rhinos and angry angry templars! And so does a leman russ towards his far right, but wait. He moves the tank 12 inches past a blockade of one of his IS. I say he cannot do that without moving his men and he says he can move 12 inches off the table as long as he finishes his movement in empty space he doesn’t have to move them. (Yea right…not), he proceeds to move the russ his own way. I let him again, but my patience is thinning and I am running on reserves now. He does the same with his Armoured sentinel and shoots that in this turn. I missed that part, because I was still annoyed at his russ deployment.

Author’s note:
I forgot to tell him russ’s move 6+D6

He proceeds to fire 4 fire on my target orders again…… and his next leman russ shoots all its weapons! (My fault for that, I forgot). He also stuns both of my vindicators, shoots LS2 but nothing happens on my side, but chenkov suffers a wound from get’s hot. He rolls a 2 and then re-rolls it and I think hey, what. He then rolls a 3, I say does he have marine armour? (I don’t think he has and I decide not to press for codex, I wish he had)
I also say why the re-roll? He says he has an invulnerable save thingy field. I say only Company commanders have that and he says that all commanders have it including chenkov. (In fact he doesn’t, but I don’t impress it upon him because he will just ignore me), but I said you either choose the normal save or the invulnerable, he says no he has an invulnerable save and moves on.

Author’s note:
God, only the emperor is fuelling my patience now.

He then shoots Marbo’s bomb at some marines and one dies from failing a cover save behind a rhino. Nothing else really happens but weapon destroyed on a rhino.

Black Templars: 1
Imperial Guard: 2

My turn 3:
My land speeder(3) fails to turn up, because it is annoying my opponent by flying around it’s head. God I wished that happened, but such fantasies are nothing compared to a win against him ^^.

Rhino(2&3) move up! And my LS(2) moves right in front of chenkov and his HWT. Rhino(4) repairs itself! My first crusader squad munches marbo and power fists him to death (so much for his hype about badass Marbo) and consolidates behind some trees. I flame and shoot his HWT killing two men from his PCS and scoring a wound on the HWT with LS(2). I forgot to LD check his PCS.

Guard turn 3:
Another russ, a sentinel and a vets squad turn up. He shoots everything and this time he wrecks rhino(2), immobilises another and destroys its weapon. Stop vindicator(2) from shooting, shoots and kills a few from CS(2) and charges in chenkovs PCS thinking their hard as nails and beastly in close combat. His orb kills a few more marines from CS(1).

Chenkov kills one marine after I kill his bodyguard with my marshal and I power fist him in the face. But apparently chenkov has this shield thingy (which he doesn’t, but I don’t press for codex) and chenkov flees and I fail to catch him. His tech priest behind the wrecked russ moves into my land speeder and does nothing.

Black Templars: 2
Imperial Guard: 3

My turn 4:
Speeder(3) turns up and I just deep strike out of trees, Craig moves it back a few inches and moves it saying it doesn’t.

Author’s note:
What a cheat.

I take a dangerous terrain and nothing. The speeder does shoot and kill 1 guard from the CSS (apparently I can’t wound guardsmen on 2s with a S5 flamer, and apparently CCS men have T4, yea right, he ignores me) and I kill one autocannon team from the HWT hiding behind the trees. (I know I can still win, so I let him)

Rhino(4) moves up and the marines from rhino(3) move out, shoot the vets squad and charges them. The marshal manages to squeeze between the vets squad, chenkov and the HWT to round up on the HWT and assault them. CS(2) moves up with marshal and assaults the HWT. Shooting kills a tech priest from LS(2) with a melta gun, but apparently the priest has a shield ( I doubt it, but don’t check again and after the game I check and he doesn’t!), the priest dies none the less. Also my vindicator(1) shoots at the russ, direct hit! And I then roll two dices, I am tense and I can taste victory. But alas I roll two 3s!.... the shame, all I needed was a 5 or a 6 to penetrate the russ or a 4 to stop it shooting next turn.

Close combat sees a veteran sergeant scythed by my EC and the vets wiped out to a man and outrun marines and the HWT mallard.

Guard turn 4:
His last IS comes on and guess what. I forgot to smoke my rhino(4)……….. So his shooting stuns vindicator(1) he orders four fire on my target again… and wrecks a rhino and then fires his battle cannon at a wrecked rhino after killing it with his Lascannon (that’s a no no and kills 2 marines in their ) and blows up rhino(4) and wounds 6 marines…I roll…..5….1s……5 marines dead (talk about bad luck for me) and he autocannons the two remaining marines to death. I loose a few more marines from the orbing. He also manages to immobilise speeder(3).

Black Templars: 4
Imperial Guard: 6

My turn 5:
I then shoot and wound the HWT and nothing else, but apparently he has never heard of instant kill and doesn’t remove one of his autocannon guys. I can’t bring myself to say instant kill, because I couldn’t remember what the word was, just the rule. LS(2) fires at the russ and nothing….. I got 2D6 pen and rolled 1+2………
I then rapid fire CS(1) bolters at chenkov and he dies to bolter spam. Then I charge the last vet and wipe them out and I kill 5 guys from an IS with 4 marines and my marshal, they pass leadership. But I doubt they did, apparently they use the CCS leadership. But I didn’t mind that much, because that means I wouldn’t have been shot in turn 5.

Guard turn 5:
The staffs were now hurrying up to pack up, because it was near closing time, but he didn’t rush. Now shooting, stuns my LS(3) and rips off the heavy flamer. Then orbs the squad that killed chenkov and leaves two guys left from the squad. I breath a sigh of relief and then his shooting stuns vindicator(1) and he then shoots his russ at a squad and says that ordinance ignores cover (you were alright with that all game! But you say it now?) one staff agrees, but I know he’s wrong and the manager who wants me to win so badly ignores me or I think he is too busy to pay attention and just think were arguing too much again, either way, he will regret his decision to ignore me.
And then…. He forgets to shoot his IS lascannons (2 of them) and he calls it end game and a draw.

Black Templars: 6

He ignored the assault phase that I would of won and got an extra kill point and won me the game! He knew it, and I definitely knew he forgot to shoot the lascannons because that would of let him kill the LS(2) and compensate for the loss of another kill point when we go into the assault phase.

So the real score should be

Black Templars: 7

Author’s note:
We shook hands and he didn’t look happy, about normal and gritted his grin, not even boasting about how we can to a draw or him killing my (pansy marines, as he calls them). He probably thinks I cheated, and that will cloud his judgement of the game. However, I think that I impressed upon him how hard and deadly marines can actually be and I fought well, some bad rolls by me I agree, but I caused him enough trouble to make him shut up.

Finally, you will all want to know, the points of HIS list…. You really want to know?
Then scroll down
1700 points exactly. That’s nearly 200 points more than me!

What did I learn from this game? To be honest, nothing except to play people who are willing to play by the rules and to remember the rules.

You may think I may replay him, but I know and you know that I won the game. So with that win, I see no reason to play him again.

Reason for playing him:

The only reason I played against him was to beat him and shut up his boasting about guard this and that and show him that he is no where near as good as he thinks.

Plus the managar promised me a pie! :p, which i got! A chicken bake from Greggs after convincing the manager that i would have won.

Mission complete!

I am grateful for everyone who has spent the time to read battle report and commented.

I hope you enjoyed reading this batrep, well kinda, because I enjoyed typing this up.

Thanks
Antique_nova

·
Registered
362 Posts
sounds like you had fun, even with the annoyances. I think i would play him again, but a person like that would rather quit than play fair, even showing him the correct rules, he would attempt to ignore or intimidate you if he could. really the kind of player you collude to deny him games, its no fun if no one will play him.

you played a good game

·
Hive Fleet Pandora
5,068 Posts
A couple of things you should do the next time you see him:

- Go over some of the rules with him, what he did wrong and why his actions were illegal. People sometimes are more willing to listen when they're not "in the heat of battle". Sometimes I say to my opponents the next time I see them "You know what? We/you/I did it wrong in our last game when we/you/I did this. I was talking to some people online and they told me it was wrong. I then did some research myself and this is what I found out...."

- Insist that he brings his army list. If he doesn't have one, insist that you both spend the time to write up the army lists before the game.

- Bring your copy of the IG codex if you have it. You know he gets his rules mixed up. So instead of always asking him to check his codex or for him to show you his codex, just look it up yourself (again, that is if you have the IG codex).

- If he doesn't appear willing to listen at all, just don't play him next time.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I did have fun, just watching him falling for my vindicator baits, the vidnicators wre jsut in your face units design d to drive the firepower from my rhinos most of the game. However, more and more people are realising that he is really what he is, when they play him etc and with danjones as evidnce. He is getting in less games.

Jy2: he really isn't that type of person at all. i have tried that before this game, but he's like i have more guard experience etc. pfft, lame guard experience yes.

To be honest, i don't feel like playing him again, unless the needs of winning a juicy prize in a tournament calls for it and only if the prize is worth fighting for. Apart from that, the pie only encouraged me, becuse i was hungry at the time :) and food + me = heaven. especially pie :p.

Apart from that, some coments on the layout and paragraphing of the batrep would be nice. I still feel that apart from punctuation, spelling, some (or alot) of grammar, there is alot to improve like placing in pictures. but apart from that i am not sure of how to improve my batreps.

EDIT: we both had the gaurd codex.

thanks
antique_nova

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Don't play the prick again, pie or no.
We had a guy like this around our shop. He loved playing with me when I first came back to the hobby because I didn't know the Ork codex well enough to call him on his cheating. "Kustom Mega Blasters are large blast?... um, ok."

He finally got himself banned form all the shops in town. Which is kind of a shame as I'd love to table him now that I know what I'm doing. :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
While I wouldn't suggest punching him (it is only a game) I would say don't play him again unless you are forced to in a tourney. I don't have a problem with people who don't know the whole rule book by memory, but when they just sit there and make things up the whole game and won't listen to people who do know the rule book then I don't play with them. Plus you pulled out a victory when he was 200 pts over you. Good job on that.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
to be honest. staring down at half a dozen autocannons and 7 lascannons and 3 russes was quite intimidating, but i flanked one side, to deny FRFSRF.

when they just sit there and make things up the whole game and won't listen to people who do know the rule book then I don't play with them.
He is that type of guy. but yea a win was needed to calm myself and generally just a mental challenge and problem that ii had within me. Everyone wants to beat the cheat, the arrogant and the cocky to shed some light upon them and to steer them along the right path.

kgoreham:
That will bother you for life, even if it's something little, but i appreciate the emperor for giving me the chance :). And guess what we have the winter war coming up and he's going to practically win it because, kids are playing and you get more points for staying than playing = which equals failure and silly system.

Jayne Cobb:
I wouldn't go that far, never lower yourself to someone elses level.

Anyway, do you like the way my batrep is written and the layout? I should have a few more batreps ( hopefully 6-10 ) within a month. The earliest being the 2nd of january i think. or on new years eve.

thanks
antique_nova

·
Registered
60 Posts
I really liked the battle rep, and have been meaning to try to write a few myself, but always get jailed soon after games, and tend to forget some details.

I like you use of the key. It gets confusing sometimes reading an
GWT w/HF andPW...
you know, you made it readable.

And I never sink to people's level, I elevate them to mine.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i don't use it too often, because it borders on laziness and it looks alot better without alot of the acronyms. but writing up Land speeder every time i use it is very dull and just inflates the report. Always get jailed? not sure i undedrstand you there, also is their anything that you can see that need improving apart from pictures of the game.
thanks
antique_nova

·
Registered
60 Posts
Always get jailed? not sure i undedrstand you there,
I was referring to the fact that i punch people and they call the fuzz. I don't actually hit people though, not to worry.

Visuals would be great, but those also take a lot of. If you really wanted to go in-depth, you could do turn break downs, movement, shooting, assault, etc. How it is right now it is simple, easy to read and informative.

Another thing, you standing up for the rules does not mean you are being picky, rather that you want to play a fair game.

On a side note, How would you approach a Dark eldar army with BT. My partner in a campaign is facing one, and has never played them before. He is a BT player, but still new to the game, and i am not the the person to give him advice.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
use the same lsit as me, except ditch the vindicators
. i wll pm you later. probably on boxing day.
thanks
antique_nova

·
Registered
183 Posts
Sorry to hear you had to play against someone like that. For me it ruins the experience of the game. There is a guy similar to that at the club I play at. Not as bad and will accept he is wrong when proven (you can tell how mad he gets though). As far as the batrep goes I thought it was a good written out batrep all in all. Some pics would have made it easier or better to follow along. Congrats on the win specially being under points.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.