Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
space pope
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey hey,

Here's my latest attempt at starting an army: Imperial Guard. Comments & Critique welcome - I've only been painting these dudes a few months, but I want to get better. The compression has made the colours look mottled - they are very smooth in person.

I'm looking for feedback on the colour scheme as much as the painting!

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Nice, save the light brown lasgun. Have you tried to paint one with a black rifle?

Reactions: jaNDo

·
Registered
11 Posts
My color scheme is very similar to that one ( Scorched Brown armor and Snakebite Leather fatigues ), so of course I'll say I like it!

His rifle could use a color change though. Black is always a good choice, or you could paint it your dark brown color too so it "matches" his armor.

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
As per the others - the gun should really be black as it will provide a nice contrast. Other than that the face is my biggest issue - it just doesn't match the skin tone on the hands at all and makes the model look queasy, maybe I'm being a little too pedantic.

Reactions: jaNDo

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Well

Well I am going to go for broke and just straight out admit that I like it. The economy here is good too as you appear to have painted the fatigues and weapon with the same base colour and then highlighted the fatigues up. This will speed up your painting a great deal. That makes me a fan, expecially when it comes to the insane numbers of the Imperial Guard.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You can try to paint the gun a dark metal(mix it darker) to make it look realistic..
Do you ever see any pictures of soldiers that have painted their guns(other than snipers that is)?

·
Mr Commisar to you
2,885 Posts
I like it.

Ive been experimenting with using washes on the armour to paint fast but in a different way. Bascically paint your base colour on in my case a mid green depending on what is close at hand. Next cover the armour in thinned out wash of the same colur but a little darker. Next (and quickly before it dries) add in some of the medium colur over the highlighted areas then the edges with a light version. Sounds fairly complicated and a lot like wet blending but it can help.

The point of that was to help you speed up the painting, I've used various drybrushing or simple painting techniques but this one seems to work the best.

As for the gun perhaps if there was some contrasted shading making it look wooden perhaps then it might look better. experiment I say!

Hope that helps

A

PS: Nebulus, look up the SA80 not painted but coloured body areas.

·
space pope
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank-you all for the kind feedback!

I'll just echo what the others said already. Great looking scheme but the gun should be black. It now has a very... strong resemblance of ... ehhh.. 0:never mind.
I'll go with baby-cow-poo. :) In truth, the gun (and belt/harness) is painted in Snakebite Leather; while the photo accurately represents the colour, in truth it is more subdued and has a light-leather appearance.

Nice, save the light brown lasgun. Have you tried to paint one with a black rifle?
The primary reason I deviated from colour scheme in the IG Codex (same as mine, but with Black rifle) is that an entire army of Dark Brown, Kahki and Black might look a tad... well, dull.

The other reason is that my hands are very shaky - I have difficulty painting small details; highlighting the edges of a black gun for example :(. That is also why the face will never have eyes! :D

My next guy will have a black Lasgun though, so I can evaluate them thoroughly. I'll even try to highlight it... :|

As per the others - the gun should really be black as it will provide a nice contrast. Other than that the face is my biggest issue - it just doesn't match the skin tone on the hands at all and makes the model look queasy, maybe I'm being a little too pedantic.
Pedantic is fine & appreciated. I need to work on my flesh tones - at the moment I only have Elf Flesh and Brown ink. Dwarf flesh will be my next purchase, for a mid-tone. I would like to get the flesh tones right before tacking my officers!

Well I am going to go for broke and just straight out admit that I like it. The economy here is good too as you appear to have painted the fatigues and weapon with the same base colour and then highlighted the fatigues up. This will speed up your painting a great deal. That makes me a fan, expecially when it comes to the insane numbers of the Imperial Guard.
Thanks Zara :)! Here's a run-down on how it all happens - any advice would be appreciated:

Base-coat:
Black Spray Undercoat
Scorched Brown over essentially the entire model (insignas and metallics left black).

Fatigues:
Graveyard Earth as a base colour. Multiple, thin coats.
Kommando Khaki as the mid-tone (leave recesses dark). Multiple, thin coats.
Thinned Brown Ink to line the pockets and wrinkles.
Bleached Bone highlight.

Armour:
Dark Flesh. Multiple, thin coats.
Vermin Brown highlights (not shown on the above model, but as my skills improve...).

Gun & Belt:
Dark Flesh.
Snakebite Leather. Multiple, thin coats.
Boltgun Metal on the metallics.

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
Pedantic is fine & appreciated. I need to work on my flesh tones - at the moment I only have Elf Flesh and Brown ink. Dwarf flesh will be my next purchase, for a mid-tone. I would like to get the flesh tones right before tacking my officers!
This is what I do for my flesh tones, in case you are interested. I use the following paints: Tanned Flesh, Bronzed Flesh, Elf Flesh, Bleached Bone and Chestnut Ink (the best ink in the range)
Start off with a base coat of tanned flesh, getting it into all the cracks. Give it a heavy coat of Bronzed Flesh, leaving the tanned flesh in the recesses.
Mix a little bit of elf flesh with some Bronzed Flesh (about 2:1 Bronzed:Elf) and highlight the raised areas (fingers, cheek and nose, brow etc).
At this stage, if you want, you can give it a wash of watered down (very watered down) chestnut ink and another coat of the Bronzed:Elf mix before highighting with straight elf flesh - depending on your skin tone.

Another, easier, method, but one the that doesn't give as good and clean a result, is to paint the skin with Bronzed Flesh, give it a wash with well watered down Chestnut Ink, and a quick drybrush/highlight with Elf flesh. This looks good on the standard grunts and has the added benefit of being a lot quicker.

·
A bit of alright.
675 Posts
The face really needs hilighting back up, apart from that It's a sound effort.

·
Registered
66 Posts
same as everybody else with the gun, the rest is fine I would add some higlights of maybe elf flesh or another lighter skin tone to the face to bring it out more. Overall good job keep up the good work.

Deumus

·
space pope
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thank-you all for the feedback. I really like my chosen colour for the gun (Snakebite Leather). It may appear garish under the harsh flash of the camera, but it looks great on the tabletop, which is where my army belongs. I've also changed the method I use for skin tones and they look fantastic now!

I've finished up half of a squad. I'm really happy with the way this have turned out - my painting is improving, imho.

I will be starting a proper blog soon, but will keep this thread alive for more comments and critique.

·
Registered
101 Posts
all i would say is smooth out the color by putting a little more water in the paint, but that may just be the camera making it look unsmooth, i think so. paint the gun black, or the same color as the armor with highlights of a lighter brown ( just the corners of the gun). the other things i would suggest would be to highlight the armor a little, not by drybrushing. just paint very very thin lines on the edges of the armor that are a little lighter.

now by my number of suggestions it sounds like i dont like it, its really good, fabulous considering you have 200+ Ig to paint. those were just suggestions, anyway, really good ol chap

oh, weing you later picture, i would say use flesh wash on the faces/hands then repaint the face, leaving the cracks the inked color, then highlight with the second color being a little lighter, will make the skin look realistic and smooth

·
space pope
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. I have another 10 Guardsmen and a squad of Storm Troopers awaiting my paintbrush. I hope that I'll get everything "right" by then, and get started on the bulk of my force.

I'm really happy with my sarge - I even managed to paint his eyes ;Y

I'd like to respond to Lord of Dawn's feedback, because it was very insightful :)

paint the gun black, or the same color as the armor with highlights of a lighter brown ( just the corners of the gun).
I realise my choice of colour on the guns is unpopular, but I'm very happy with it. I appreciate everyone's suggestions but I have made my decision on this. I am toying with the idea of making the Hellguns (and Storm Trooper armour) different to my line squads though.

the other things i would suggest would be to highlight the armor a little, not by drybrushing. just paint very very thin lines on the edges of the armor that are a little lighter.
I really want to give this a go. My next batch (of 5 guardsmen) will have their armour highlighted. I might just start with the shoulder pads though, since I'm unsure as to where the helmets should be highlighted.

now by my number of suggestions it sounds like i dont like it, its really good, fabulous considering you have 200+ Ig to paint. those were just suggestions, anyway, really good ol chap
Thank-you kindly for your encouragement. I am aware that I will be painting a heck of a lot of guardsmen (my 500 point army has 45...) so I need a scheme that is effective and efficient.

oh, weing you later picture, i would say use flesh wash on the faces/hands then repaint the face, leaving the cracks the inked color, then highlight with the second color being a little lighter, will make the skin look realistic and smooth
This is going to sound amateurish, but I somehow forgot to do the flesh wash on these guys. My next batch will rectify the situation.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.