Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When (if) the plastic cadians comes out I think that I atlast can get my long wanted imperial guard army (I don't wan't them rambo look alike). Borrowing a cadex imperial guard (will the get a new one with the cadians??) I set out to plan the army. I want to have alot of infantry. And here is da BIG question:

How large should I make the platoons? My first thougts inkluded two platoons with four squads each. One of the platoons have heavy weapon and plasma guns. The other have short range weapons (flamers, melta guns) and are used to capture objetives.

The rest of the army will include Rought riders or orgyns and a hell hound to counter attack. A griffon and vanicher for heavy support. For the rest of the points I inted to get caommand sq (I konw I must have one), Three or so commisars. And some heavy weapons squads or sentinels if i have any points left...

What do you think??

Octavius

·
Registered
1 Posts
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
:twisted: MORE TANKS! :twisted:
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Tanks are fine but, as an Imperial Gaurd Colonel myself, I think that if you want a normal infantry company that's fine, for your first 2 platoons have the maxmium number of standard infantry (1 command section and 5 sqauds). For the next 2 have 3 to 5 sqauds and the last 2 choose armoured fist squads. Try to intermix all the heavy and special weapons because they might just run into a situation when you're wise choice comes in handy. For mechanised companies do the same thing. For armoured companies, you can have up to 2 armoured fist platoons. Choose the maximum number of infantry and buy plasma guns, 1 they are really effective and 2 they only cost 5 points. For HQ use a C.O. in a vanqiusher. For all the Heavy Support choices use 2 tanks (or in Arm. Com. 2 Tank support sqauds) and always use a Basilisk (or 3 Basilisks in an Artillery Battery) and only use a Griffon in a Cityfight. Hope this helps.

P.S. If you really like the Cadians and no other regiment then start buying the metal models if the plastics don't come out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
they will come out.. actually I think there closer than we think.. I would say no later then nextsummer.. posibely this year.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think they are coming late next summer or early in the autumn. I also heard something that they are redoing the IG tanks, but that's nothing more than a rumor I think. I also heard that the Cadians will get their own codex, just like the Catachans. But that may just be a rumor too? Anyone got any hard evidence?
I'm looking forward to the Cadians. It's going to be great to switch out my rambos. Maybe I can make myself a deathworld army from them. Then I'll have to IG armys! Wow! :p

·
Registered
278 Posts
That be cool to redo all the tanks. I hope they are more WWII German panzers styled. Ypu know, these tanks were based on Russian WWII tanks. You can tell by the optics, poisition of turret, ect.

·
Registered
148 Posts
False

Actually you are wrong ColonelKillmore,

With all due respect, the IG tanks have nothing to do with Soviet armour.
The IG Leman Russ and Chimera get their basic shapes and drivetrains from WW1 British and French tanks. The insperation of the IG tanks comes from a tank the British put out called a Mark IV and V (Male/Female). If you find any WWI pics of Bristish armour, you will see what I mean. Even the Sponsons are copies. The Britts used to arm the sponsons with light AT guns or machineguns. The Males where the AT/cannons and the Females where the machinegun models.

The Soviet WW2 armour even in 1939 was nothing like that. The Soviets used tanks that were designed in America by a man named Christi. He was the fist to design the "Christi" suspension that was used on the infamomous T-34 from 1941 on. The US Army thought Christi was an idiot and didnt want to use his tanks. So, he turned around and sold the designs to the Soviets.....yet another of MANY dumb a$$ mistakes by the USA.

I hope this has helped clear up any confusion of where the IG tanks have been inspired from. Also, as a bonus....the Baslick comes from the infamous German 88mm (8.8cm) Flak gun. The German discovered that if they used their mighty Anti-Aircraft gun as an AT....that it would put huge holes in ANY tank of that era.

If anyone has any other tank/armour questions, feel free to ask me....

·
Registered
148 Posts
Actually, the ONLY thing on the LR and Chimera that might look Soviet is the Drivers hatch on the front of the 2 vehicles, it sort of resembles the T-34. BUT, that is it, jsut that. Anyone have any thing to add???? Feel free.

:D

·
Registered
148 Posts
More info

Here is a model of a later model of the tank Christi designed....

this is a Soviet BT-2
http://www.track-link.net/gallery/images/b_1319_1.jpg

this is the T-34 that was based on the above suspension and design...

http://www.track-link.net/gallery/images/b_403_1.jpg

did you notice the driver's hatch? sorta resembles the on on the Chimera and LR...

And here is the final version of the T-34. it had an 85mm gun and larger turret. This beast was used in the Korean War, Vietnam and numerous other wars all over the world from Africa to Asia and even Europe.

Just a saml history lesson today.

CORRECTION: the T-34 was from 1942 not 141 as I said above....typo!

Bill

·
Registered
278 Posts
Re: More info

Thank you for your strong lecture on IG tanks. Very informative.
Are you in the military or just obsessed? This is not an insult, a compliment on your extensive knowledge of modern armour.
I perssonaly hope that if they redo them, they look more like German style panzers, you know with the sloping sides. Wouldn't you agree, being WWII German based IG Colonel?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Re: More info

By the way, when they start getting new moderators for the armys you wouldn't mind having a second moderator would you? No one has to lecture me about being fair, and I feel no envy that you got to be moderator (well just a little), I just wanted to know out of curiosity.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Little of both

I was a history major in college. Even didn the ROTC Army thing, but I am a WW2 enthusiast....not that I agree or enjoy war, but the copacity of the human mind to build such beautiful machines of death....do you see the drama there??? How can we put so much effort into making beautiful killing machines? Scary huh? Anyway...

I have to agree with you about the new tanks, it would be nice to see more German looking vehicles, after all, the IG is heavily modeled after the WW2 Germans, but also other nations...I beleive that the Cadians are a mix bread of modern US and WW2 German, the Steel Legion ALL GERMAN, the Valhallans are WW2 Soviet, and then you have the the others which are a mix of British, Arab and what have you...actually the Tallarns remind me of British SAS during WW2 in the African Desert hunting Germans... Thats just my 2 cents.

But again, I remind you.....Sloping armour is a Soviet invention which the Germans copied!!! The Soviets made the T-34 which the Germans had a hard time against....then the Germans made the Panther, which was the German answer to the T-34 and other Soviet tanks.
From then on, the Germans stuck to sloped armor as is evident with all their big bad tanks....

The ONLY tanks that are reminicent of German Technology are the Forge World tanks.....yes, all those share common traits with WW2 German beasts....like the Hetzer, StuG or bigger tanks like the Jagdtiger and maybe the E100.

:wink:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Re: Little of both

But that's what I mean, make the current Leman Russ tanks to look more like the German tanks. All you have to do is have the turret more centered and sides be sloping. Yes I know the Germans copidied the Russians but they perfected it. A standard Leman Russ could be more like a Pzkpfw IV, the Vanguisher a Panther (Pzkpfw V), the Destroyer a Hetzer or a StuG IV even, and the one turretless Leman Russ with the Demolisher Cannon can be a Sturm Tiger. Just my thoughts.

And I also agree with you about the IG regiments. The Steel Legion: WWII German, Valhallans: WWII Russian, Cadians: Modern U.S. but where is the German in them (I just can't tell), Tallarns: Personally they look just like modern Arab countries soldiers, Catachans: Uh, Arnold Shwarzenagers :?: , Mordians: Does anyone know who they represent?

(What's an E100?)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Your right about the Panther chasis....except is much larger, the turret though is different. It also has 2 barrels. the BIG one and a small one....I think its a flame thower barrel. Here is the King tiger, there is a difference in the turret. Sorry, dont mean to refute you, but its the only way to learn :D

http://www.panzer-world.net/Model%20Geller...tigerIIpage.htm

see how the late war big German tanks all share a look on the chasis? From this was the sloped armour theyhad copied form the Soviets. Problem was, their engines were NOT powerful enough to push these tHUGE tanks fast, and as a result, they got knocked around buy other smaller tanks. Sometimes armour alone cant help, speed is always a factore.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yes, when the allies got to the factory that it was being built at, they found the chasis DONE!!! But no turret. the turret was about to be built, they found the molds for it. Can you imagine this thing staring at a squadron of M4 Shermans and Pershings??? It would been ugly, especialy with the size of that gun, It was over 100mm'!!!! I cant remember the exact size, anyone out there remember? I think it was larger than the Jadgtigers gun, or was it the same?

:roll:

·
Registered
485 Posts
As far as I can tell there were three main armament combinations for the E100. (In addition came of course smallarms as MG's)
1. 12.8 cm with co axial 7.5cm
2. 15 cm (!) with co axial 7.5 cm
3. 17 cm (!!) with co axial 7.5 cm

But I'm most impressed by the sheer weight of the completed vehicle, estimated to around 140 tonns! Almost three times the normal weight of a modern MBT

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.