Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

So I've got my basic force down, now all I seem to be missing is a "Spear-Head" unit. A unit that can effectively lead the charge (preferably in CC) and lead the way for the rest of my army.

Looking over the Codex I've pretty much narrowed it down to a Chaplain or a Librarian, with command squad.

I play a very aggressive Mechanized/Drop-pod army. In my mechanized army, this unit will ride in style in a Crusader

Now I know most people will start yelling "points sink" or "are you NUTS!" and the answer is yes. Whatever this spear-head unit is, just know it will end up riding in a Crusader.

I've also been toying with the idea of a Grey Knight Grand Master... but he would be alot of points, and I would have to select a marine HQ anyway, and in a 1,500pt army with a crusader points may be abit tight.

So basically I need a unit that can take on that Carnifex, or that C'tan, or maybe that Chaos Lord, and at least have a chance of surviving... or killing it ;)

So please let me know your ideas, thoughts and experiences cause I'm all ears!;Y

Thx!

Nate

·
Registered
63 Posts
You could ditch the Crusader idea and give an Assault Squad a powerfist or something of that nature. Also, a Librarian or Chaplain can cause some havoc as well. Slap a jump pack on them, and you can have either a Librarian or Chaplain backed by an Assault Squad leading your army.

Depending on what powers your Librarian takes could also be a huge thing. Veil of Time, Might of Heroes, and Vortex of Doom can also cause some serious trouble to your opponent. However, Vortex of Doom is useless against Monstrous Creatures and vehicles, so you might want to skip that. But Might of Heroes can grant a couple more attacks to any one model in the Librarian's squad. Or you could go with Veil of Time, which in short lets you re-roll pretty much whatever you want. Veil of Time is a very powerful power that can really turn the tide in a assault that goes wrong.

Personally, that's what I'd take. If you're set on the Crusader, you could take a Command Squad headed by a Librarian of Chaplain, armed with bolt pistols and close combat weapons and all of that good stuff. The benefit of this would be that you could take Furious Charge, which is a huge benefit to any Marine that's about to assault.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Cruader
Chaplain with terminator Honors, bolt bistol, frags, furious charge-120 or 105 if reclusiarch or master of sanctity
10 command squad-225
Power fisted seargant, company champion with terminator honors, (special weapons meltagunz), furious charge
Maybe lightening clawz on chaplain maybe i lovez my chappy

try this

·
Registered
206 Posts
I play a crusader in 1500pt battles with a s of assault termimators inside it.
Its a huge amount of points, but whan it gets into combat they usaly last the whole game.
This is haw i play it.
8 man Assault Terminator Squad=348
-Lightning ClawsX6
-Thunder HammersX2
-Furious chargeX8
Transport
Land Raider Crusader=
As i said a lot of points. However last battle i had they assaulted straight out of the crusader into Old One Eye (tyranid special charactor(carnifex)). They killed it in the first turn before it could attack back then consolidated into a screemer killer. Killing it before moving on to the next unit.
This happened untill the end of the game. (I only lost 3 terminators).
Hope this helps

·
Registered
77 Posts
I use a Termie CC squad in a LRC as well, I play DA so I take 5 termies with Lightning Claws, give them the company banner(+1 A) and a Chaplain...that gives them 25 power weapon attacks that can re-roll both to hit AND to wound on the charge (not including the Chaplains attacks).

in a regular SM army you could do the same thing but with 7 termies instead of 5, which would end up being 28 attacks (cause they dont have the banner)...mind you, this is a really expensive unit (somewhere between 650-700pts(I dont have the codex on me at the moment)) when you add the Chaplain, Terminator and LRC...hard as nails though

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!

wow, those chaplain assault termie squads sound amazing!

I really like Duncan's squad seeing as how it can re-roll To-Hit and To-Wound rolls, expensive but nice ;Y

And the chosen knight's termie squad is also nice. For those points plus a crusader and a chaplain, I'm only looking at about a third of my points in this unit, not bad. Also the thunder hammers will help with large creatures such as Carnifexs, hive tyrants, and C'tan (which is what they'll be fighting)

It had never even dawned on me that I could give my Chaplain terminator honors! I'll be tacking that on my characters from now on.

Keep the ideas coming any help is appreciated!

Nate

·
LO Oldie
1,248 Posts
why not have the best of both worlds and have both a chaplain AND a librarian :eek: and it will only count as one HQ choice

Chaplain (Reclusiarch): Terminator honours, bolt pistol, furious charge = 104pts
Librarian (Codicier): Might of Heroes, combat shield, terminator honours, bolt pistol =131pts
10 man command squad: 2 meltas, veteran sgt with power fist, company champion, 6 w/ bolt pistol/ccw. All with furious charge = 250pts

·
Registered
63 Posts
why not have the best of both worlds and have both a chaplain AND a librarian :eek: and it will only count as one HQ choice

Chaplain (Reclusiarch): Terminator honours, bolt pistol, furious charge = 104pts
Librarian (Codicier): Might of Heroes, combat shield, terminator honours, bolt pistol =131pts
10 man command squad: 2 meltas, veteran sgt with power fist, company champion, 6 w/ bolt pistol/ccw. All with furious charge = 250pts
I think Veil of Time is a much more potent power for Librarians. The ability to re-roll virtually whatever you want is amazing. Might of Heroes is great, but I think Veil of Time is a much more useful and versatile power, since it could be handy in any part of the turn, compared to Might of Heroes which only affects the assault phase.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Back to the terminator thing.

wow, those chaplain assault termie squads sound amazing!

I really like Duncan's squad seeing as how it can re-roll To-Hit and To-Wound rolls, expensive but nice ;Y

Nate
They will only re-roll hits on the first turn, and that is if the charge. However when they are in the LRC they will usally charge. If they have furios charge the they will attack before most other units (Initative 5) and have lightning claws strength 5, not to mention stength 9 thunder hammers, that will attack at the same time as a carnifex.
Hope this helps.

PS i tried running a chaplin in termie armour with the squad, but apart from the re-roll hits on the charge, he did less damage than the terminators with the lightning claws, because they re-roll wounds and the chaplin doesn't. So now i just use an extra terminator instead of him and a cheap Master as my HQ (gives everyone a leadership of 10) and is only 91pts with a power sword.
:C

·
Registered
38 Posts
They will only re-roll hits on the first turn, and that is if the charge. However when they are in the LRC they will usally charge. If they have furios charge the they will attack before most other units (Initative 5) and have lightning claws strength 5, not to mention stength 9 thunder hammers, that will attack at the same time as a carnifex.
Hope this helps.

PS i tried running a chaplin in termie armour with the squad, but apart from the re-roll hits on the charge, he did less damage than the terminators with the lightning claws, because they re-roll wounds and the chaplin doesn't. So now i just use an extra terminator instead of him and a cheap Master as my HQ (gives everyone a leadership of 10) and is only 91pts with a power sword.
:C
what you do is give the chap lightning claws as well
this will help but cost a bit more points

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Hello all,

So basically I need a unit that can take on that Carnifex, or that C'tan, or maybe that Chaos Lord, and at least have a chance of surviving... or killing it ;)

So please let me know your ideas, thoughts and experiences cause I'm all ears!;Y

Thx!

Nate
Ok, my thing here is that its better to NOT get stuck into assault with those things, just shoot them. I actualy used a crusader in a 1500 point tournament and my "spear head" unit was inside it too. I also use a mehcanize/drop pod list. And a C'tan? Seriously, you really really really don't want to get into assault with that thing, i don't care how tooled out your squad is for assault. A carnifex isn't too bad, but its still better to shoot it, just my two cents.

My spear unit was as follows:

Commander: Master w/ lightning claw and combi-plasma gun, terminator armor
Terminator Command Squad: 4 terminators, 2 with assault cannnons.

And I had them shuttled around in a LRC.

The scary assaulty unit they had to face was an avatar, and hell no am I going to let that thing get into CC unless I have to. I made it walk to me through a forrest and shot it to hell, took me a couple turns as I was focusing my other squads on keeping his skimmers from shooting at me, but you get the idea.

Although instead of a Commander it would be better to use a Libby or Chaplain, I just feel a bit attached to my terminator commander model.

And you could always attach a power armored chaplain to a terminator assault squad if you really want to use them. I mean, he is just there to let them re-roll the hits anyway.

One more thing, make sure to take another scary peice of armor with that crusader. I used a predator anihilator with las cannon sponsons. Some people were more afraid of that for some reason...

·
UnderWater Ninja-Tiger ..
785 Posts
I use a Termie CC squad in a LRC as well, I play DA so I take 5 termies with Lightning Claws, give them the company banner(+1 A) and a Chaplain...that gives them 25 power weapon attacks that can re-roll both to hit AND to wound on the charge (not including the Chaplains attacks).
I am a new player to Warhammer I see the rule (Litanies of Hate) to re-roll to hit on charge, how or what rule specifies to re-roll wounds on the charge?

<<< wow after just like 10 minutes, I found the answer to my question, in the main rulebook, to re-roll wounds is a property of the lightning claws. pg 46.>>>

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Chaplain's re-roll hits not wounds. the wound re-rolls come from the lightning claws. And who said anywhere in this thread that librarians do that, unless he has veil of time, which only effects him and not the unit he is with.

And another thing about assault terminators, most experienced players say not to use them. Their stats might look nice, but an assault squad is much cheaper and far more reliable for assaulting and more likely to make their points back. The other problem with assault terminators is, for one, they don't have jump packs, and if that land raider pops, they don't even have any guns. They aren't hard to run from. Also its far to easy for oponents to use weapons in CC that will deny their save, especialy if you are using them to hunt really scary things like C'tan which will rip them apart. Assault marines die easier but are far cheaper so its not as bad, and they have jump packs and they can overrun enemies, something models in terminator armor can't do.

And lets consider if those terminators do get into assault. What happens if those terminators completely wipe out their target (which is highly possible if its something like, say a squad of gaurdsmen or even a squad of meqs) what will happen to them next turn? They will get shot to pieces and wont have the legs to catch up with anything. Assalt marines however are likely to keep the openent held in assault during their turn before finishing them off and then using their wonderfull jump packs to go after the next target.

That being said, Assault terminators are cool models and great for freindly and fluffy games, I would just never use them in a tournament.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thx Again

All your posts have been very heplful,

I think I'm going to proxy these different units and try them out!

Thx Again!

Nate

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.