HQ:

(Stubborn, duh) Master with lion helm, boltpistol, power sword, combat shield

5 marine command squad with 2 lascannons, tank hunters, apothecary

Razorback with lascannons and stormbolter

Elites:

Venerable tank-hunting dreadnaught with plasma cannon, extra armor, smoke

Troops:

10 marines with plasma cannon, plasma gun, and stubborn sergeant with powerfist

10 marines with plasma cannon, plasma gun, and stubborn sergeant with power sword

10 marines with plasma cannon, melta gun, and stubborn sergeant with powerfist

9 scouts with boltpistols and close combat weapons

7 scouts with sniper rifles

Fast Attack

Ravenwing landspeeder with assault cannon

Heavy Support:

Predator annihilator with lascannon sponsons

Whirlwind

23.7% HQ, 8.2% Elites, 46.9% Troops, 8.6% Fast Attack, 12.4% Heavy Support. 1850 points. Hope it does better than my last tourney army (57th at a GT in 2004)... Comments? Suggestions?

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
I'm not a dark angel player, so the twin heavy weapons in the command squad look opdd to me. They are allowed to field a pair of heavies in the command squad right or is thata type-o?

Otherwise, thats a scary army that I'd give an arm to go up against...8)

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The current SM 'dex allows any combination of up to two of the following in a command squad:

heavy bolter
missile launcher
multimelta
plasma cannon
lascannon
flamer
meltagun
plasma gun

Taking the tank hunters skill woudn't pay if you didn't take at least two antitank weapons!

Reactions: darkreever

·
Registered
166 Posts
I like the list, good DA plasma-love!

The only thing I'd change is the razorback. I assume since you've grouped it with the HQ that this is their transport. But if they're in the razorback, the troops can't shoot their 2 lascannons. Sure, the razorback can shoot it's lascannons instead, but if it were me, I'd just deploy the command squad and let them do their thing. I'd put the resulting points into filling out the sniper scouts and/or adding more landspeeders.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Marnepup said:

5 marine command squad with 2 lascannons, tank hunters, apothecary

Razorback with lascannons and stormbolter
Ok, I suggest you read the SM HQ tactica. Really, Apothecaries aren't worth their points, and HQ is better when assaulting anyway. At the least, you should save yourself 35 pts by dropping the apothecary and the storm bolter on the razorback.

Venerable tank-hunting dreadnaught with plasma cannon, extra armor, smoke
This thing shouldn't really shoot at tanks (Go for lascannon if that's what you want), so drop the tank hunter status.

10 marines with plasma cannon, plasma gun, and stubborn sergeant with powerfist

10 marines with plasma cannon, plasma gun, and stubborn sergeant with power sword

10 marines with plasma cannon, melta gun, and stubborn sergeant with powerfist
Ok, if you choose to stand and shoot, you are wasting the powerfisted sergeant, and if you choose to assault, you are wasting the plasma cannon. Either go with a 10 man squad with powerfisted sergeant and meltagun (with a drop pod) or a 6 man tactical squad with Plasma cannon and plasma gun. It will be much more points effecient.

9 scouts with boltpistols and close combat weapons
Throw in a powerfisted sergeant, much more effective in close combat.

7 scouts with sniper rifles
Ok, but remember that wraithlords and TMCs have a 3+ armour save anyway...

Good.

Predator annihilator with lascannon sponsons
Ok, since this is a tourney army, oyu should assume that you're going agaist some pretty tough opponents. And a tough opponent isn't going to leave anything valuable in front of 3 lascannons. So this guy is going to have to move at some point, meaning he can only shoot 1 main weapon and defensive weapons. If you have Lascannon and HB sponsons, you can move and shoot everything.

Whirlwind
Ok.

23.7% HQ, 8.2% Elites, 46.9% Troops, 8.6% Fast Attack, 12.4% Heavy Support. 1850 points. Hope it does better than my last tourney army (57th at a GT in 2004)... Comments? Suggestions?
You should really consider reading the Tacitcas in the SM articles section. HQ, tactical squads, Land Speeders, bikes, basiclly all the units with a lot of options are described.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ezekiel1990 said:
Ok, I suggest you read the SM HQ tactica. Really, Apothecaries aren't worth their points, and HQ is better when assaulting anyway. At the least, you should save yourself 35 pts by dropping the apothecary and the storm bolter on the razorback.
The idea is that the razorback hauls the squad to an objective late in the game...the stormbolter is insurance against an immobilizing second "weapon destroyed" result. I know the apothecary isn't worth the points. What do you suggest that I do with the 35 points I'd free up?

Ezekiel1990 said:
This thing shouldn't really shoot at tanks (Go for lascannon if that's what you want), so drop the tank hunter status.
I imagine "furious charge" isn't worth the points for a dread...so I guess I should add 10 points to the 35 above?

Ezekiel1990 said:
Ok, if you choose to stand and shoot, you are wasting the powerfisted sergeant, and if you choose to assault, you are wasting the plasma cannon. Either go with a 10 man squad with powerfisted sergeant and meltagun (with a drop pod) or a 6 man tactical squad with Plasma cannon and plasma gun. It will be much more points effecient.
Stand and shoot...but won't the fist (or at least a power weapon) be essential if charged? Oh, and the 10 marines per squad stand. I've rarely gone wrong with full squads, and min/max not only leaves an awful taste in my mouth, it tends to result in non-scoring squads in a hurry.

Ezekiel1990 said:
Throw in a powerfisted sergeant, much more effective in close combat.
Brilliant! Thanks!

Ezekiel1990 said:
Ok, but remember that wraithlords and TMCs have a 3+ armour save anyway...
Yep...and they'll have to make 5-6 of them per turn!

Ezekiel1990 said:
Ok, since this is a tourney army, oyu should assume that you're going agaist some pretty tough opponents. And a tough opponent isn't going to leave anything valuable in front of 3 lascannons. So this guy is going to have to move at some point, meaning he can only shoot 1 main weapon and defensive weapons. If you have Lascannon and HB sponsons, you can move and shoot everything.
Well...that's true enough. But I rarely find a target worthy of being fired at by both heavy bolters and a twinlinked lascannon. Boyz don't rate the cannon, and crusaders laugh at bolters. And if the enemy wants to keep his valuables away from my predator, he'll end up keeping them away from my tactical squads as well...and most likely have to choose between an assault cannon in the side or a trio of lasers in the face. Predator is static AT for area denial, speeders are "bird dog" AT that go chasing after enemy armor.

Ezekiel1990 said:
You should really consider reading the Tacitcas in the SM articles section. HQ, tactical squads, Land Speeders, bikes, basiclly all the units with a lot of options are described.
Thanks, I will!

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Marnepup said:
The current SM 'dex
Thats what I get for not reading some tings in my codex thoroughly, thats an interesting new thing to have been pointed to...8)

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Marnepup said:
I have to say your really not taking the optimal weapon leaving the Sword of Secrets off your HQ. The SOS is probably the best item unique to our HQ, it's so good I really can't see any reason not to take it. If you can find the points from anywhere, I'd chuck it on your GM.

I've also never really been a fan of the Lion Helm against anyone but Imperial Guard (it's great against Battlecannons....against anyone else meh). After much experience I've pretty much stopped messing around with Invulnerable saves. My HQ configuration (when I still played using DA rules) after a while usually defaulted to SOS, Bolt Pistol and Iron Halo for versatility. However if you find that it works...feel free to go with what you like.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, that's a good point about the SoS...except that the master's not supposed to be getting into combat. I guess it would be a good thing to spend the apothecary points on, just to discourage enemy assaults? Anyway, as for the helm, a pair of S10 lascannons with only three meat shields...they need all the protection I can buy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts