Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you are aware the new blood angels models have hit the shelves of the GW web site and oh my have i got mixed feelings!

Let start with the Great: New furioso dreadnought, so many nice new components for kit bashing here, and with its general good looks a must to get for any BA army... oh yeah i need to mention that you can also build a Death company dreadnaught AND a Librarian Dreadnaught. (if feel a dreadnaught army on the way ladies and gentlemen)

Settling down with the ok: Ok so theres a new battle force box out for BA and yeah its great to see this coming together, but i feel 5 assault marines, 5 DC, 10 tact and a rhino.... dousnt feel as much as some of the others are offering. I guess the best bit about this is the fact you r gonna have that DC box and so many parts to mix and match kits you will defiantly come up with a great looking army from this box alone though with a price tag of £60.... i guess i will leave you to decide if this is good or not!

Running in fear from the bad: Land raider and some stray plastic cuttings both caught in a teleporter and what do you get??? yes thats right people, the storm raven gunship. I know there was speculation about the model when the a picture was released on GW's website a while back and people recoiled in fear from the beast that should never be ate into there mind but it looks like this was the actual model. Ouch GW, what went wrong? It just seems to lack all aerodynamic feel and with such a large main section with spindly wings which look like there snap at the fist sign of bolter fire, its like a thunder hawks mutated offspring.

Well that was a quick some up on how i feel about the new models, mixed reviews but in the end best make up your own mind, so go check them out at GW's web site and post your replies on your feelings and thoughts of the 2nd half of the blood angel invasion.

·
The Ninja Viking
1,359 Posts
yeah its not supposed to be an cute little flyer. it serves a purpose and thats it, I don`t think the space marine cares so much about the design on there aircrafts. personally I really like the stormraven:) its an cool model and the more I look at it the more I like it;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL i dont think space marines would really go for cute :p so im not saying that, i just feel like its to..... out of proportion, it almost feels more like it should be a Nurgle vehicle, the front being a bloated stomach of some kind :p i mean "decent of angels" you would think every think the army would have a smother feel.

·
Registered
116 Posts
LOL i dont think space marines would really go for cute :p so im not saying that, i just feel like its to..... out of proportion, it almost feels more like it should be a Nurgle vehicle, the front being a bloated stomach of some kind :p i mean "decent of angels" you would think every think the army would have a smother feel.
I felt the same way when I saw the original leaked pic, but I think it looks much better in these new shots, probably due to the angles. In regards to the 'bloated front', I think the open back just gives the illusion that front is far too big, but the back is only open to allow for the dreadnought to be clamped there.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Land raider and some stray plastic cuttings both caught in a teleporter and what do you get??? yes thats right people, the storm raven gunship. its like a thunder hawks mutated offspring.
Y'know, I don't think it'll be that bad. Just give it a little TLC.

The first thing I'm going to do is get rid of that dome turret and replace it with a razorback turret. I think if I make it a little bit more streamlined it could look fairley cool.

·
Ender of Threads
1,306 Posts
I felt the same way when I saw the original leaked pic, but I think it looks much better in these new shots, probably due to the angles. In regards to the 'bloated front', I think the open back just gives the illusion that front is far too big, but the back is only open to allow for the dreadnought to be clamped there.
...Regardless, I hate that thing's guts... But I'm still hoping it looks less stupid with a Dreadnought slung back there. I can't see it looking good, but maybe less bad.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
the stormraven could be worse, i think theres a lot of potential to modify it. has there been any official word on the stormravens use in other SM codex yet? or is in coming in the feb white dwarf

·
Registered
604 Posts
the stormraven could be worse, i think theres a lot of potential to modify it. has there been any official word on the stormravens use in other SM codex yet? or is in coming in the feb white dwarf
It's confirmed for the GK's but I havn't heard any confimation on other chapters yet.

·
Registered
846 Posts
After seeing the fugly StormRaven I emailed GW and within a few hours they actually replied. Here's what transpired.

To: US Customer Service
Subject: really?

What is up with the Blood Angels. First the incredibly amateur looking Codex cover, and now this ridiculously ugly StormRaven!? Looks like a caricature of what the StormRaven should be.

----------------------------------------------------
To: JMichael
Subject: Re: really?

Greetings!
Thank you for writing in to us! I am sorry you don’t like the pictures but I have held a built Storm Raven in my hand along with sprues for another one. It looks COMPLETELY different than the pictures!! It looks a lot bulkier in the pictures than they do in your hand. It is just a bit bigger than the Valkyrie and I know this because we compared the two kits! I would definitely hold any judgment on the model until you get it in your hands! It looks so awesome that I have started a Blood Angels army and I never play Imperium armies before. J

Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------

I did reply back thanking them for responding and suggesting that if the model looks better and 'completely different than the pictures' then perhaps they should post some better pictures.

Anyway, thought it was worth sharing. I do hope to see one actually assembled and read/see a real hands on review of the kit itself (aside from the GW pics).

On a side note. After re-reading GW's response, is it just me or does the poor grammar seem like an overseas (and I mean to the West) outsourced customer rep?

·
Registered
604 Posts
they'd be silly not to. they are a business trying to make money after all
Yep,"they are a business trying to make money". They will, it's just a question of when.

My guess is it won't be untill after the new GK release.
You can see GK badges in the Stormraven sprues, but I think BA and GK will be the only ones getting it.
Not a chance! That would serverly limit the amount of models sold. They can greatly increase the stormravens sales with a single rules update. You know they will.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice one getting GW to reply, at least i have had some hope restored in the knowledge that all photo's seem to make it bulkier then it really is! I mean camera douse add 10lbs :p guess i will just have to head down to my GW and see it in action!

·
Registered
249 Posts
According to current fluff-notes... only Blood Angels and Grey Knights are noted as using the Storm Raven... not to say that they couldn't (or wouldn't) make it accessible to other marine chapters... but atm, the kit is set up for those two (just in time for a pre-GK release project ^.^)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yep,"they are a business trying to make money". They will, it's just a question of when.

My guess is it won't be untill after the new GK release.

Not a chance! That would serverly limit the amount of models sold. They can greatly increase the stormravens sales with a single rules update. You know they will.
But then how do you explain the Baal Predator or the Furioso Dreadnought models? Those have been exclusives for some time. If they make units that are supposed to be unique to certain chapters available to everyone, then they lose sales for that codex as well. I don't why they wouldn't just leave the Stormraven as BA/GK exclusive for quite a while.

BA use Stormravens instead of Thunderhawks apparently - probably because we just throw our land raiders at the ground from low orbit.

IF YOU CAN'T FLY YOU'RE IN THE WRONG DAMN CHAPTER.
BA still have a decent amount of Thunderhawk gunships, its only the transporter that they're short on. I think the Stormraven suits them more because it can transport jump infantry and even more than that, because it can transport Dreadnoughts. IIRC correctly Blood Angels have like 31 Dreadnoughts, which is ridiculous.

·
Son of LO
3,930 Posts
BA use Stormravens instead of Thunderhawks apparently - probably because we just throw our land raiders at the ground from low orbit.

IF YOU CAN'T FLY YOU'RE IN THE WRONG DAMN CHAPTER.
You are a funny man.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm going to start converting some of my scars into angels tonight in anticipation for the baby-hawk.

I wont ask for points cuz thats irrelevant but is it bad form to ask what kind of armour it has. I'll grab a codex when the models come out but should I build angels? Is this bird any good?

·
2,399 Posts
Well, credit where it's due for them replying. Although I feel as elated as a man who forcibly had his testicles removed after looking / being exposed to that.

I wonder if you can use the thin end as a handle and beat Jervis / whoever is responsible to death with the "brick" end. I fear the handle will break off though.

I would exxagerate if i said this is the worst thing they have ever done. I think this only gets 3rs after :

1) The High Elf Lions from THAT chariot. I don't play high elves or care about them, but that is a Fugly, awful model.
2) The disappointment I felt as a DA player when the Vanilla codex came out. As a Full company (with support) owner with EVERY man converted I was gutted.
3) This. Good thing I don't play BA I suppose.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts