Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone!

This is a follow up army list from my first thread, where I was getting advice on how to design my first Imperial Guard army:
http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/imperial-guard/248962-drop-troup-veterans.html

Hopefully, I'll demonstrate that the wisdom given was not in vain but I could probably use more of your advices to round up my list. Here`s the layout: I have some models and wish to expand to an army between 1500-2000 points. I really like the Valkyrie model and would like to utilize it. My other army is Sisters of Battle so this new force will serve to complete my first collection (point-wise) as 'inducted' allies and will probably share on the Inquisitorial thematic. This is why to me it's quite nice to have a few troops from different imperial guard outfit as my inquisitor requisitions the best of them along his way.

I do possess the Vostroyan battalion box, a cadian command squad, the kasarkin box of 10 men, a Leman Russ battle tank (no sponsoons and a hull lascannon), Yarrick, Harker and Straken plus an unbuilt catachan heavy weapon team. These were mostly gracious gifts from my family and friends. I'm looking forward getting some of my new models commissioned and that's why your input would be so much appreciated (you only get one chance at getting it painted at this price).

The overall strategy is the following: I would have a "static" element of my army, holding up my lines and thinning out the main enemy threat, especially anti-air or anti-deepstrikers and melee warriors. On the offense, I would have a few airplanes loaded with troops to destroy objective holders and capture them.

Here's the list to be refined, target is between 1500-2000:

Defensive Element:

HQ :
Company Command Squad
Regimental standard
Lascannon

Troops:
Veteran squad
Sergeant Harker
3 plasma guns
Autocannon (this team is yet unbuilt, I can still change to any weapon)
Here I would probably buy a catachan command squad + bits to fill in the numbers and add Straken as a veteran if I don't use him in the Company Command Squad - which could be awesome from time to time I think)

Troops (vostroyans):
Infantry Squad x2
Grenade launcher
Heavy bolter
Could use Yarrick as a commissar in these squads if combined, add some power weapons sergeant and give some payback to melee adversaries)
I should probably acquire a 3rd squad of these guys for a stronger backfield presence...)

Heavy Weapons teams:
3 Lascannons
More vostroyans I could get from Games Workshop's online)

Heavy Support
Leman Russ battle tank
Hull Lascannon
(that stinks, I'll try to get my opponents to accept the basic heavy bolter proxy)

Heavy Support
Leman Russ Vanquisher
Plasma sponsoons
Lascannon
(This is the slot I'm having the hardest time with. Also considering: vanquisher or eradicator variants, Manticore, Basilisk or Colossus. I haven't got the model yet so its pretty open)

Assault Element
Fast Attack
Valkyrie
Missile pods, heavy bolter sponsoons
(probably commissioned)
Transported troops:
Special weapons squad
2 flamers, demolition charge
(likely comissionned elysians)

Fast Attack
Vendetta
Transported troops:
Veteran Squad
3 Melta guns, Demolitions doctrine
(likely comissionned elysians)

Fast Attack
Vendetta
(I know the vendetta is excellent but it's also got a cheesy reputation, I would probably swap this one's cannon to missiles for fairplay and, honestly, they could be actually decent for whipping off a squad from a point to control)
Transported troops:
Platoon Command Squad
4 flamers and/or grenade launchers
(Their orders don't benefit the assault wave so much... not too excited about these guys)

Elite
Any spare points in Stormtroopers

Variations in points and builds could let me promote one of my special character to his actual self. 3 flyers is maybe overkill, maybe I should buy only 2...

Thanks a lot everyone! Great forum by the way, I really enjoy reading every thread!

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Fast Attack
Vendetta
(I know the vendetta is excellent but it's also got a cheesy reputation, I would probably swap this one's cannon to missiles for fairplay and, honestly, they could be actually decent for whipping off a squad from a point to control)
You may want to really really reconsider this thought. The missiles are non-blast ordinance. Read up on the vehicle ordinance rules and let me know if you think this is still a good idea. In my opinion there are only two viable builds with this kit:

1.) The bog standard Vendetta with 3x TLLC, with or without HBs: A solid gunship that can also act as a transport.

2.) Valkyrie with rocket pods: A fast transport with some solid infantry suppression capability.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The missiles are non-blast ordinance.
I think we're confusing the Hellstrike and Hellfury missiles (with such similar names, it's pretty easy). The vendetta's missiles fire large blasts ignoring cover save. At strenght 4, they would also count as defensive weapons if that still mean anything under the newest edition.

The two builds you mention are the most common I've seen. May I ask why people favor extra heavy bolters on their venttas? The lascannons and heavy bolters have different ideal targets. Is it for the extra chance for pot shots on tanks to finish them off with some luck?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I think we're confusing the Hellstrike and Hellfury missiles (with such similar names, it's pretty easy). The vendetta's missiles fire large blasts ignoring cover save. At strenght 4, they would also count as defensive weapons if that still mean anything under the newest edition.
You're right in your suspicion (well, it sounded like a suspicion:) ), defensive weapons doesn't mean anything anymore. You can fire up to four weapons at full BS and the rest can snap fire. If you're after ignoring cover saves though, a Hell Hound is nice. Reasons:
1 - It's a tank, so it is on the board turn one, no waiting for a good reserves roll.
2 - It's a fast tank, so you can go quite some distance and still fire.
3 - The Inferno Cannon template can be placed 12" away from the cannon, extending its' threat range further.
4 - That template can be twisted this way and that for maximum effect.
5 - It's strength 6/AP 4, which beats the Hellfury.
6 - It's not a one shot deal (although given its' threat, it may only get one shot off, but that's a lot of fire not going to other units in your army).

Just a thought. BTW, I also don't know why people put the Heavy Bolters on the Vendetta, although I always have them on my Valkyrie (with multiple Rocket Pods). One of them ends up snap firing, but they still help.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts

The two builds you mention are the most common I've seen. May I ask why people favor extra heavy bolters on their venttas? The lascannons and heavy bolters have different ideal targets. Is it for the extra chance for pot shots on tanks to finish them off with some luck?
The rationale is two-fold:

1.) It's another target for a weapon destroyed result to save a more valuable TLLC
2.) It's not uncommon for Vendettas to be pressed into service against infantry targets after enemy vehicles have been destroyed. Extra wounds on TEQs still add to body count.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
why people favor extra heavy bolters on their Vendettas?
Cheap guns, no extra painting.

I think the defensive element should have at least three infantry squads. GEQs go down more quickly than ever these days. Those lascannons would also be much safer in infantry squads than a HWS, which will free up the points. Forward Sentries would help the Vets more than Harker, although the guy is definitely cool. The Eradicator is a really good tank right now; both Tau and Eldar hate that machine. And Marine Scouts. Orks and Dark Eldar, too, I guess. And genestealers....

I would probably swap this [Vendetta]'s cannon to missiles for fairplay
It's a good way to keep it alive, actually. With the one-shots expended, it's a much lower target priority than the other fliers. Try putting that PCS in it with only a vox. A vox-PCS can self-order to run, take cover or triple-fire their lasguns; a cute setup for a live-to-grab-the-objective unit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting toughts on the hellhound Tuatara. As a sisters of battle player, I can value it's worth as being fast and having better range and template placement. My concerns with it in my current list is that it would be the only light armor chassis on the board at the start of the game. I have serious concerns about its chance of first or second turn survival as it will probably attract most of the anti-tank fire. Also, thanks for clarifying the change on defensive weapon, my suspicion was right as you said :)

To IronWeevil : I see, I can certainly consider adding the option on my vendettas as well as it's pretty cheap. And on the plus side: Extra gun on tanks always look a lot cooler.

Intrepid: 3 infantry squads are probably the ideal number. Hiding the lascannons in them was definitely a possibility. Looks like I'll proceed to order them after all if people agree they would belong to the list.
About the Missiles, I had this idea as well to lower the threat value of the ship. After launching its payload, it becomes much less threatening to the opponent while potentially having brought some important damage to his forces. The question I asked myself while looking at this was: what if I could concentrate my ship's firepower in one single turn? I'll probably have them magnetized and play-test it to see how it fares on the battlefield.
Very interesting thought about the Platoon Command Squad running around naked and ducking fire mostly ahaha. Finally something to do with the Vox-Casters models as well. The idea of using him to relay to his squad mates the orders given by the officer in the same squad is hilarious. Having them without special weapons will force me to play it safe with these guys (there's less shame in sending them to ground when your weapons have minimal impact) and try to capture cleared objectives or try to get linebreaker.

This is great. Any more comments and pointers would be really appreciated!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts